Sony PS3

Bigfoot

For most consoles yes, But I read a lot about Sony saying the HD could be easily accessed, removed and replaced by the user with any standard 2.5in HD. I don't think they would support any issues cropping up with using bew drives, but I seriously doubt the warranty would be voided. They are after all touting it more as a computer than just a gamemachine.

I'll see if I can get any links to verify this.

It might be a simple task to replace the drive but there are lot of morons out there. How does Sony know if you spilled your Dr Pepper in there wile you were swapping the thing out? Basically if you open your machine for mods you are on your own if it breaks. Most of the time the warranty is pretty short anyway.

I'm pretty sure it'd be just like how memory cards are handled, pop a flap, pull out the old drive, slide a new one in. I may be wrong, but that's what I got from Sony's statements.

So if we replace our drive the warranty is voided? sounds like bull to me.

On another note I hope Resistance doesn't set a trend with regards to Mouse/Keyboard support in FPS game. Being able to use a M/K was a big deal for me when the PS3 announced it, and now Insomniac are saying they won't even support it for singleplayer because they're lazy asses and don't want to add in a higher difficulty for M/K users. :evil:

Keyboard & mouse is overrated.

Nay sir, for FPS there is no greater thing.

Why do you think the Resistance developers don't want it in their game? Because people who used it would wipe the floor with the other players, even if they had the same turning restrictions placed upon them.

It's called not developing something like carpal tunnel syndrome. Keyboard & mouse far more easily facilitate problems with the awkward hand positions encouraged by fast games like FPS. I like to play my games comfortably, thank-you-very-much.

You can get carpal tunnel syndrome just as easily from a gamepad as you can a mouse. Moot point.

As for 'awkward hand positions' You do know you can move more than just your wrist?

I call bullshit. Point me proof. Modern gamepads are designed with ergonomics in mind (i.e. the XBox 360 controller), so I highly doubt that that statement holds any water.

What I'm saying is I don't believe using either is likely to get you CTS, otherwise there'd likely be a lot more cases of it, and it probably wouldn't be a syndrome anymore;

"There is little clinical data to prove whether repetitive and forceful movements of the hand and wrist during work or leisure activities can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Repeated motions performed in the course of normal work or other daily activities can result in repetitive motion disorders such as bursitis and tendonitis. Writer's cramp - a condition in which a lack of fine motor skill coordination and ache and pressure in the fingers, wrist, or forearm is brought on by repetitive activity - is not a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome."

Keyboard and mouse > gamepad, except for fighters.

I dare God to give me carpal tunnel syndrome.

I had a lot of hand-eye coordination problems from playing Warcraft 3 too intensely (I have held #1 on several ladders on various times in US East during competitive times) - there are times the mouse and/or keyboard just feels awkward & unnatural. After that problem, I gradually started playing PC games less and less and started to regain some of it, but I still have some problems to this day - I'm not someone who was naturally like that either, being a highly competitive tennis player previously, where hand-eye coordination is paramount.

But again, this is an argument for elsewhere.

^ I truly to god hope that doesn't happen. This market competition has been great. If Nintendo reclaims the market, we will see some intense stagnation; same with Microsoft. I hope that they all survive in their own markets respectively.

Usually IGN buys the hype for graphics...

Anyway, I have to ask:

Has anyone in this thread other than the nintendo fans concidered that the PS3 may fail?

Yes. This is why I am not purchasing the systems for a while. I have no interest in the Wii or Xbox, so the failure of the PS3 will simply mean that I buy the occasional PC game (along with playing all the older games, which still provide plenty of entertainment)>

As much as I want it to succede, Its not looking so strong right now. But it's impossible to make a prediction because there's so much hype surrounding both systems. There are countless examples of mindless Fanboys who wont hear anything but praise for their preffered system.

But whatever, I hope they are both successful for competative reasons.

Anyway, I have to ask:

Has anyone in this thread other than the nintendo fans concidered that the PS3 may fail?

What do you mean fail, cause the games are way too cool, and it is all about the games.

I assume he's talking about the N64 and Gamecube "failures". Neither had the best selection of games and both finished last in the console wars(well, behind the playstation anyway).

Anyway, I have to ask:

What do you mean fail, cause the games are way too cool, and it is all about the games.

I assume he's talking about the N64 and Gamecube "failures". Neither had the best selection of games and both finished last in the console wars(well, behind the playstation anyway).
well if you mean lose then it looks that way to me.

Anyway, I have to ask:

I was talking Saturn level of failure... Or hell, 3DO. There is a possibility that the Wii is not all its hyped to be. There is the same possibility with the PS3. The way I see it, there is a lot running on these two consoles, and from here to december a lot will be played.

the ps3 will do fine. But not as well as the ps2 imho. The 360 has a very good marketshare already and the Wii is looking pretty good and with some luck it could do better than the gamecube. I really hope the ps3 don't fail, and I don't think it will but the price point is something to take in account and I think will hurt sales a bit.

With exclusive games like MGS4 in the horizon, how could this console fail?

Wow, youkai. You're talking about cataclysmal failure. I suspect the Wii has the biggest chance of failing. The gimmicky toy controller, Nintendo's emphasis on kiddy games, and the constant rerunning of old games for profit turned me off ( I only owned an N64 and Gamecube during the last two console races). That doesn't mean I represent the whole of consumers though.

You really think we'll know by Christmas time? I kind of think we won't even get a sense until a full year from the release date.

I want to see Sony and Nintendo switch positions, while MS remains in Sega's former spot. Let the Wii become the mega hit to cause developers to have to think in new ways, make the PS3 barely get any market share but have some strong games so they still manage to make some profit, then come the following generation, let's see what will really come of things. With off the shelf computer parts being super powerful for super cheap, the successor to the Wii could be at least as powerful as the PS3, plus have its own new things and plenty of developer support, Sony would be humbled and be a decent company again, with good hardware and good games, and MS could go flip off and do their own thing.

Wow, youkai. You're talking about cataclysmal failure. I suspect the Wii has the biggest chance of failing. The gimmicky toy controller, Nintendo's emphasis on kiddy games, and the constant rerunning of old games for profit turned me off ( I only owned an N64 and Gamecube during the last two console races). That doesn't mean I represent the whole of consumers though.

You really think we'll know by Christmas time? I kind of think we won't even get a sense until a full year from the release date.

I know this isn't the Wii thread, but have you played the Wii? I don't get how people call something gimmicky without even trying it. And the "kiddie" games argument is really dumb. A game for everyone does not equal a "kiddie" game. Kiddie games are games such as Barbie Horse Adventures.

Anyways, I don't think any of the consoles will fail. All three will succeed in some way. I don't think the PS3 can outsell the PS2 though. That would be crazy if it did. I think all will do fine and do well. There's too much fanbase for Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft for any of them to fail.

I rely on Nintendo's past track record. The kiddy argument is accurate when you compare the types of games released for the N64/Gamecube versus the Playstation systems. Keep in mind that I rarely played any Playstation games, so I should be biased towards Nintendo. It is not a dumb argument; it relies on experience and prediction: two traits that are rarely found in these types of threads.

I rely on Nintendo's past track record. The kiddy argument is accurate when you compare the types of games released for the N64/Gamecube versus the Playstation systems. Keep in mind that I rarely played any Playstation games, so I should be biased towards Nintendo. It is not a dumb argument; it relies on experience and prediction: two traits that are rarely found in these types of threads.

One could make the claim that Sony's consoles have a reputation for attracting games for the immature. However, let's not go towards that stupid route and keep this on topic.