Sony PS3

Bigfoot

If Nintendo reclaims the market, we will see some intense stagnation; same with Microsoft.

How does this make sense exactly? Like sony being on top for 2 generations hasn't caused that?

Yeah, Sony has stagnated the market a lot more than Nintendo has ever done. Developers have been decrying Sony for a while for difficulty worse than Nintendo currently has been doing. It's like Sony forgot why developers started supporting them in the first place.

And that was, oddly enough, the exact same reason developers started leaving Nintendo for Sony.

Today we got the price of a 1 year service contract for a PS3 at Game Crazy. It will cost $99.99 and two year plans will not be offered.

Why are these so expensive. you would think that when spending 600 on a system that it is going to work, what is so special about these that make them worth the money. I never buy them, and never need them.

Today we got the price of a 1 year service contract for a PS3 at Game Crazy. It will cost $99.99 and two year plans will not be offered.

Why are these so expensive. you would think that when spending 600 on a system that it is going to work, what is so special about these that make them worth the money. I never buy them, and never need them.

Well...a heck of a lot of 360's (we got 3 last week alone) have been coming back lately, and I would think that spending $40 on a service contract is better than spending $170 on a repair. I could only imagine what Sony'd charge for a repair...

Well...a heck of a lot of 360's (we got 3 last week alone) have been coming back lately, and I would think that spending $40 on a service contract is better than spending $170 on a repair. I could only imagine what Sony'd charge for a repair...

700$.

I understand that... but I would think that it should not have problems.... but thats why I wont buy a ps3 for a bit. It seams like it takes a few versions of the system to get all the bugs out.

^^^ If it's under warranty, wouldn't it be free for repairs?

Service plans are for suckers. They always try to get you to buy one at Best Buy, and it's so annoying. "I'm not getting a commission on this, I swear!" Yeah right. You might as well spend that money on two new games and punch the CSR in the nuts for trying to rob you of your cash.

^ Whoa, $5 for a PS1 game?? THAT'S the way you do a virtual console. Don't try to screw gamers out of their money like Nintendo is doing by charging too much for ROMs you can get anywhere for free. There are TONS of great PS1 games I'd be willing to to pay at least $5 for. Just another reason to get the 60 gig model...

ISOS??!?! WHAT? There are things called ps1 isos?

Those can be incredibly hard to find for size reasons.

Just try finding a non-clone Jet Moto 1,2, or 3.

Exactly. I can download any game for old systems instantly on any computer. A 64k ROM isn't hard to find, even if it's something rare. But getting a 600meg ISO for an obscure PS1 game is can very difficult. Even if you get the ISO, it's hard to play burned PS1 games on even a modded PS2, and PC emulation is not 100%. $5 is a deal.

^ If it's under warranty, wouldn't it be free?

Service plans are for suckers. They always try to get you to buy one at Best Buy, and it's so annoying. "I'm not getting a commission on this, I swear!" Yeah right. You might as well spend that money on two new games and punch the CSR in the nuts for trying to rob you of your cash.

^ Whoa, $5 for a PS1 game?? THAT'S the way you do a virtual console. Don't try to screw gamers out of their money like Nintendo is doing by charging too much for ROMs you can get anywhere for free. There are TONS of great PS1 games I'd be willing to to pay at least $5 for. Just another reason to get the 60 gig model...

Exactly. I can download any game for old systems instantly on any computer. A 64k ROM isn't hard to find, even if it's something rare. But getting a 600meg ISO for an obscure PS1 game is can very difficult. Even if you get the ISO, it's hard to play burned PS1 games on even a modded PS2, and PC emulation is not 100%. $5 is a deal.

So... point is I can still download for free. My computer that sucks can play PS1 iso's perfectly. The PS1 emulator works better than the N64 one for me.

^^^ If it's under warranty, wouldn't it be free for repairs?

They don't make commission. And the service plans suck, yes, but the replacement plans are definitely worth it. I know this from going through my DS Lite episode.

With most systems I'd agree with you. But after the 360 I would say you're 100% wrong about it being bad for PS3. Sure they get commission, but that doesn't mean it's a bad deal. I can't see Sony giving more than 90 days warrantee for the PS3 (and if they give a year then they're gonna have a problem...) so yea once again you're an idiot if you don't buy the service plan for the PS3.

EDIT: so best buy dudes don't get commission, but we do at Game Crazy.

With most systems I'd agree with you. But after the 360 I would say you're 100% wrong about it being bad for PS3. Sure they get commission, but that doesn't mean it's a bad deal. I can't see Sony giving more than 90 days warrantee for the PS3 (and if they give a year then they're gonna have a problem...) so yea once again you're an idiot if you don't buy the service plan for the PS3.

EDIT: so best buy dudes don't get commission, but we do at Game Crazy.

Unless you plan on selling it.

So... point is I can still download for free. My computer that sucks can play PS1 iso's perfectly. The PS1 emulator works better than the N64 one for me.

Yeah, I understand your point of view. I think the Wii's virtual arcade is pretty dumb too. I doubt I would buy more than one or two PS1 games anyway, since I already own all the PS1 games I like, but all I'm saying is that's a good deal for the games. For the same price as a 32k NES ROM you can get a 600 meg PS1 game that was released not too long ago. Not a bad deal at all. And can you find ANY PS1 game ever on BitTorrent? It's so easy to get complete ROM sets of any 8-bit ot 16-bit system, even for the N64, but it's much harder to find ISOs of PS1 games, especially if you are looking for something that's not too popular.

The reason they are expensive is because the parts are expensive. They charge you that much because they might have to replace a part worth over twice that amount in the future.

It's pretty much a gamble, on their part and yours. You're betting that your stuff will need to be serviced, they are betting that it won't. It depends on how reliable you think Sony's hardware is.

Evilhead: Having worked at Best Buy, I can tell you that we don't work on commission, ever. Besides the fact that we are pressured to make the numbers, which I'm pretty sure most retail employees are, there isn't any reason for us to sell you that shit unless it's for your benefit.

And I've had many a time where I've had to tell someone a repair costs half(or more) of what they initially paid for. Once a guy had to throw away a three month old TV because it was surged, and the repair would have been about 3/4s the cost of the TV(MFW almost never covers surges). We could have repaired it for him for free if he had spent $30 on a service plan.

But it's easier to play PS1 games on the computer, not so much for the N64. I can't find a good configuration for the N64. But whatever. I do want a few 64 games for the Wii, such as Paper Mario because I never played that before.

Anyways, I really do wish Nintendo made their pricing point a little less. Oh well.

The reason they are expensive is because the parts are expensive. They charge you that much because they might have to replace a part worth over twice that amount in the future.

It's pretty much a gamble, on their part and yours. You're betting that your stuff will need to be serviced, they are betting that it won't. It depends on how reliable you think Sony's hardware is.

Evilhead: Having worked at Best Buy, I can tell you that we don't work on commission, ever. Besides the fact that we are pressured to make the numbers, which I'm pretty sure most retail employees are, there isn't any reason for us to sell you that shit unless it's for your benefit.

And I've had many a time where I've had to tell someone a repair costs half(or more) of what they initially paid for. Once a guy had to throw away a three month old TV because it was surged, and the repair would have been about 3/4s the cost of the TV(MFW almost never covers surges). We could have repaired it for him for free if he had spent $30 on a service plan.

But it just doesn't pan out in the long run. I've bought a LOT of electronics in my life, and I've never had a problem with any of them aside from my iPod which was under warranty. If I payed for service plans for all of these products, I'd literally be out thousands of dollars for absolutely nothing. And most plans are only for a year or so anyway. Most stuff breaks much further down the line. For instance, my lappy's HD died recently. Had I bought the $250 service plan from Best Buy, I'd STILL have to buy and replace the HD myself because the plan would be up by now. It's just a big scam. If you have shitty hardware, it will tend to fail pretty quickly. If it fails years down the line, you're probably in the market for a new version of whatever it is you bought.

Yeah, I understand your point of view. I think the Wii's virtual arcade is pretty dumb too. I doubt I would buy more than one or two PS1 games anyway, since I already own all the PS1 games I like, but all I'm saying is that's a good deal for the games. For the same price as a 32k NES ROM you can get a 600 meg PS1 game that was released not too long ago. Not a bad deal at all. And can you find ANY PS1 game ever on BitTorrent? It's so easy to get complete ROM sets of any 8-bit ot 16-bit system, even for the N64, but it's much harder to find ISOs of PS1 games, especially if you are looking for something that's not too popular.

It's so easy....for the "hardcore" type gamer.

Go up to your "Average consumer" and tell them to go download an emulator and some ROMs and let them try and figure it out. They'll probably be like...huh? What's a ROM?

Or better yet, since Nintendo is trying to target all types of people, say your parents are purchasing Mario Bros. from the NES because they played it back in the day. They haven't played a game since the SNES, you go up to them and say "Why are you wasting money on buying NES games, go download the ROM." "What is that?"

But it's easier to play PS1 games on the computer, not so much for the N64. I can't find a good configuration for the N64. But whatever. I do want a few 64 games for the Wii, such as Paper Mario because I never played that before.

Anyways, I really do wish Nintendo made their pricing point a little less. Oh well.

Nintendo is notorious for milking people the most for their money. I thought this thread was a PS3 thread though. Complaining about the Virtual Console is pretty silly in this thread and in general. The whole premise of the online distribution of games is that it's their first offerings for downloading many of them legally. They have every right do make these offerings and they aren't wrong in any way decrying the ROMs and ISOs and such.

Found. All 3. In non-clone CD versions. Why wouldn't you want CCD though? You'd just be playing it in an emulator anyway. Just load it into daemon tools if you need to rip it in some other way and convert.

Yeah, in the day of very affordable 250GB HDDs and ever-increasing highspeed internet, it's so much harder to get ISOs of your favorite PSX games, isn't it? Really, 5 bucks for one of those games is SOOOO much better than 5 bucks for a game for a DIFFERENT system, isn't it?

:roll:

It all comes down to this:

People will buy them, so what's the difference. Nintendo has a bigger library and (in my opinion) better games but costs a bit more. Honestly so what. Go cry about it. Are you gonna spend $600 on a PS3 so you can spend $5 on some PS1 games? I you do then I feel for you....

^ No, it's just shows how greedy Nintendo is for charging $15 for a N64 ROM.

Go up to your "Average consumer" and tell them to go download an emulator and some ROMs and let them try and figure it out. They'll probably be like...huh? What's a ROM?

Or better yet, since Nintendo is trying to target all types of people, say your parents are purchasing Mario Bros. from the NES because they played it back in the day. They haven't played a game since the SNES, you go up to them and say "Why are you wasting money on buying NES games, go download the ROM." "What is that?"

Yes, which is why I laugh at the people who are excited about the Wii's virtual arcade. Why not just emulate on another console for free? But if Sony has a decent catalog of PS1 games, I'd say it would be worth it for a $5 download, even as a hardcore emulation fanatic/software pirate such as myself. I hate PS1 emulation for performance reasons (even if you get a emu working well most games have their glitches) and tracking down a ISO, burning it, and getting it to play on a PS2 is difficult to do. You have to buy these special discs to get a modded PS2 to play burned PS1 games. So instead of worrying about all that it would be nice just to click once, and have whatever game downloaded and ready to play at any time on the PS3 harddrive. Wouldn't download a lot, but it's a nice service for $5. Whereas downloading an NES ROM for $5 is just a ripoff, plain and simple. For the non emulation inclined it's good, but even the slowest of PCs can emulate the NES perfectly, not to mention a non-modded PS1, Dreamcast, etc.

Yes, which is why I laugh at the people who are excited about the Wii's virtual arcade. Why not just emulate on another console for free? But if Sony has a decent catalog of PS1 games, I'd say it would be worth it for a $5 download, even as a hardcore emulation fanatic/software pirate such as myself. I hate PS1 emulation for performance reasons (even if you get a emu working well most games have their glitches) and tracking down a ISO, burning it, and getting it to play on a PS2 is difficult to do. You have to buy these special discs to get a modded PS2 to play burned PS1 games. So instead of worrying about all that it would be nice just to click once, and have whatever game downloaded and ready to play at any time on the PS3 harddrive. Wouldn't download a lot, but it's a nice service for $5. Whereas downloading an NES ROM for $5 is just a ripoff, plain and simple. For the non emulation inclined it's good, but even the slowest of PCs can emulate the NES perfectly.

I don't see what the big deal is then. You think it's a rip-off, then don't buy into it. I'll buy my favorite games that I don't have already and be happy.

In other news, let the camping begin.

But it just doesn't pan out in the long run. I've bought a LOT of electronics in my life, and I've never had a problem with any of them aside from my iPod which was under warranty. If I payed for service plans for all of these products, I'd literally be out thousands of dollars for absolutely nothing. And most plans are only for a year or so anyway. Most stuff breaks much further down the line. For instance, my lappy's HD died recently. Had I bought the $250 service plan from Best Buy, I'd STILL have to buy and replace the HD myself because the plan would be up by now. It's just a big scam. If you have shitty hardware, it will tend to fail pretty quickly. If it fails years down the line, you're probably in the market for a new version of whatever it is you bought.

It's definitely not a good idea to buy a service plan for everything. A lot of things just don't break quickly enough, so there's not a lot of point in it.

I wouldn't say it's a big scam, but it's certainly a much better bet for people who don't treat their stuff nicely. If you're good to your computers and you know basic hardware replacement, then you're not really gonna need anything like that - I wouldn't ever think of buying a service plan for my computer, but I'd buy one for a new camera that I know will be dropped a bunch. It's a lot like health insurance - if you're a smoker or a moron, you're going to benefit more than if you exercise and eat right.*

You have one expensive laptop, by the way. :lol:

*Also known as adverse selection.