Sony PS3

Bigfoot

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/10/is-there-really-a-1080p-advantage/

So... HD is really important, huh? You can tell the difference between the 360's 720p and the PS3's 1080p, can you? Odd, because the people that get paid to research displays usually can't. You must be some sort of superhero, then, one with the power to see things that professionals can't.

I call shananagins upon you, good sirs, and I bid you good day.

Worst trolling post ever.

Seriously, you can do better than that.

Also, lol at 1080p!

Trolling, no. Laughing at the people that say HD is everything, yes. I'm specifically talking about the people that have said that they can tell the difference and swear it's that much better.

And what's so funny about 1080p? The name, or the concept? Or that people are willing to pay for it, and get nothing extra from it?

It was mostly that your post seemed to be directed at the people in the thread, most of whom had not expressed this love for 1080p. It didn't really seem like a 2nd person POV kinda post. :?

And in answer to your second question, the bolded part.

Look at the awesomeness of the games. Screw everything else for now. One launch game and one game that will probably come out sometime within a few months of launch that look fucking badass:

Lair - Video - http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/761/761161/vids_1.html

lair-20060921045753052.jpg

lair-20060921045754459.jpg

lair-20060921042446115.jpg

lair-20060921042448568.jpg

lair-20060921045749771.jpg

lair-20060921045754459.jpg

Resistance: Fall of Man - Video - http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/vids_1.html

We get a KILLER APP day ONE.

resistance-fall-of-man-20061110064422873.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20061110064419046.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20061110064417702.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20060914004749566.jpg

i-8-20060117011953709.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20061019042343868.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20060914004748019.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20060914004759019.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20060831054954939.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20060721111431083.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20060831055651209.jpg

resistance-fall-of-man-20060523095907600.jpg

Also another game I might consider picking up at launch:

Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Video - http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/814/814614/vids_1.html

untold-legends-dark-kingdom-20061017041658809.jpg

untold-legends-dark-kingdom-20060705103200811.jpg

untold-legends-dark-kingdom-20060705103210107.jpg

Amazing screens Atomicfog. Everytime I hear someone bitching about the PS3's price or whatever nitpicky thing is the topic of the week, I just wonder how their views will change once they actually experience some of these games. Yes, graphics aren't everything, but DAMN. And for the first time these kinds of screenshots aren't followed by the comment, "Yeah, but how will it look on your TV with crappy resolution?" If you're lucky enough to have a widescreen HD setup I'd say be prepared to have your mind blown. Even if you don't, it will still be an amazing experience. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things...

Amazing screens Atomicfog. Everytime I hear someone bitching about the PS3's price or whatever nitpicky thing is the topic of the week, I just wonder how their views will change once they actually experience some of these games. Yes, graphics aren't everything, but DAMN. And for the first time these kinds of screenshots aren't followed by the comment, "Yeah, but how will it look on your TV with crappy resolution?" If you're lucky enough to have a widescreen HD setup I'd say be prepared to have your mind blown. Even if you don't, it will still be an amazing experience. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things...

Yeah, or trying to say that it couldn't possibly look like that in-game.

Also, I like the start of Resistance Review on IGN:

Owners of some gaming systems have to wait years before they get a true "killer app," but PlayStation 3 users get theirs on day one. Insomniac's Resistance: Fall of Man is far and away the most impressive title on the console -- delivering on everything that it promised with a strong single-player experience, plenty of kick-ass multiplayer options, and stellar gameplay mechanics that equal those found in other elite shooters. But being like "other elite shooters" isn't what makes Resistance so compelling... it's what separates it from competitors that does.

I honestly don't see how Resistance's graphics are better then the ones in Gears of War.

And that's my second biggest gripe with the machine. First is the price, which means I won't even get one until like 4 years after launch, but we've been through that. The second is that the main selling point of the machine is the fact their games look prettier then everyone else's. But so far, they look pretty much the same as some of the 360 games. The price difference is huge here, and their clear-cut advantage disappears when comparing certain games?

I guess I must be spoiled from PC games. Although the game looks nice, it doesn't look like anything we haven't seen from a PC FPS game.

Very true. The only people that are going to be amazed by the PS3s visuals are people who have never seen a good PC game.

The games look good, but PC players have been accustomed to visuals of that quality for a year now (F.E.A.R.).

Until the PS3 can produce better visuals than the 360 puts out in Gears, I wonder how they can charge so much for it.

I guess I must be spoiled from PC games. Although the game looks nice, it doesn't look like anything we haven't seen from a PC FPS game.

Very true. The only people that are going to be amazed by the PS3s visuals are people who have never seen a good PC game.

The games look good, but PC players have been accustomed to visuals of that quality for a year now (F.E.A.R.).

Until the PS3 can produce better visuals than the 360 puts out in Gears, I wonder how they can charge so much for it.

Because they can. Even though the 360 has competitive graphics and is a great system in my mind, the PS3 just has the developer support that will drive the demand for the system.

As does the 360, as does the Wii...except you're not paying extra for a DVD player you may never fully utilize.

Um, you use it every time you play a game. There are no DVD games for the PS3. Plus some of us actually have or plan to buy HDTVs in the near future and HD movies look damn good. I'd buy Seven Samurai, Ran, and a ton of other movies the second they came out on Blu-Ray.

But this argument has been played out too many times. Yes, the PS3 is more expensive than most systems. It's still cheaper than a high end PC yet has a crapload of power. If you can't afford it now wait for a price drop or buy a 360 instead. The 360 has a lot to offer for the price.

Impressive screens indeed, but as some people have already said, we pc gamers are kinda used to this kind of graphics now as we've been having them for around a year or so. That doesn't takes away the fact that Resistance looks like a great game though.

The Ps3 has on resistance his killer app indeed(that is at least for the american market), but let's not forget the Wii has one of the greatest killer Apps ever for launch too: The Legend of Zelda. And the ps3 still has a lot to prove on its graphical prowess, after such amazing games like GoW that are coming out for the 360 that are on parallel and at some points even surpassing what we're seeing on the ps3. Admittedly, they've been around for a year already so the ps3 might start showing some visual advantage later on.

Those pics do not impress me at all (at least of Lair). Much of them show a lack of polish overall and use tricks like lighting to cover up some of the poor quality in some of them.

However, I couldn't careless. These screens show nothing unique to me. I'll judge when I actually play the system hands on, but until then I'll be selling PS3s throughout the holidays to save up money, and possibly one next year if Sony shows that they aren't as dirty as they've shown so far and if enough worthwhile games come out for it.

Those pics do not impress me at all (at least of Lair). Much of them show a lack of polish overall and use tricks like lighting to cover up some of the poor quality in some of them.

You'd think with all that space they have they could afford some decent anti-aliasing.

That does not, however, apply to Resistance. That game looks truly kick arse. To be honest, I would expect nothing less from a $600 console.

You'd think with all that space they have they could afford some decent anti-aliasing.

That does not, however, apply to Resistance. That game looks truly kick arse. To be honest, I would expect nothing less from a $600 console.

Yeah, hence that parenthetical comment. Some of the Resistance pics though are questionable - there is still a little shoddy work, although it's largely pretty good. I blame the computer graphics people though, not the PS3.

Ya, 'cause with all the space in the world, you can pull off really amazing effects that don't actually take any space.

Maybe Sony should start developing the PS4 and.. you know, make it the PS3 with polish?

Blu-Ray discs are 25gigs right? So how much space are they NOT using when making these games?

Resistance, for example, uses 16GB I think.

Wow, what makes it so huge though? I mean, it looks like an FPS on a PC and those use DVDs.

Indeed. Even gargantuan fps like UT2k4 and farcry don't take that much, I smell inflation in those numbers. The game seems good and has tons of stuff, but I don't think they crammed so much different stuff to have to use 16 gb of space, even moreso by seeing in videos and images the same enemies over and over.