Sony PS3

Bigfoot

Blu-Ray discs are 25gigs right? So how much space are they NOT using when making these games?

Resistance, for example, uses 16GB I think.

Wow, what makes it so huge though? I mean, it looks like an FPS on a PC and those use DVDs.

Indeed. Even gargantuan fps like UT2k4 and farcry don't take that much, I smell inflation in those numbers. The game seems good and has tons of stuff, but I don't think they crammed so much different stuff to have to use 16 gb of space, even moreso by seeing in videos and images the same enemies over and over.

Well it did seem a bit steep to me too... I probably misread that, it's most likely something like 6GB.

Blu-Ray discs are 25gigs right? So how much space are they NOT using when making these games?

Wow, what makes it so huge though? I mean, it looks like an FPS on a PC and those use DVDs.

There is subliminal code imbedded in each disc. Jack Thompson has personally included messages to fill up space on each blu-ray disc. After playing a game, you will feel the need to hug someone. :wink:

With that much extra space, wouldn't it be smart to include maybe one stage of some other game you want the player to purchase? I don't know. Just a thought.

Edit: I apologize if my last suggestion sounds ignorant. I have played only a couple playstation games over the past eight years and am unfamilar with their implementation of demos.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/10/is-there-really-a-1080p-advantage/

So... HD is really important, huh? You can tell the difference between the 360's 720p and the PS3's 1080p, can you? Odd, because the people that get paid to research displays usually can't. You must be some sort of superhero, then, one with the power to see things that professionals can't.

I call shananagins upon you, good sirs, and I bid you good day.

Worst trolling post ever.

Seriously, you can do better than that.

Also, lol at 1080p!

Trolling, no. Laughing at the people that say HD is everything, yes. I'm specifically talking about the people that have said that they can tell the difference and swear it's that much better.

And what's so funny about 1080p? The name, or the concept? Or that people are willing to pay for it, and get nothing extra from it?

It was mostly that your post seemed to be directed at the people in the thread, most of whom had not expressed this love for 1080p. It didn't really seem like a 2nd person POV kinda post. :?

And in answer to your second question, the bolded part.

You need to be more specific. I thought you were blatantly mocking people who like HD picture better than regular or DVD picture in the second post. If you can't appreciate the difference between any HD format and a regular broadcast signal or DVD, you are blind. I love my HD tv cuz it's so amazingly freaking clear, but I will heed the warning that says there is no true difference between 1080i or 720 p or whatever the heck they're called. I think I have a 720p HD TV, but it's pretty darn good.

Amazing screens Atomicfog. Everytime I hear someone bitching about the PS3's price or whatever nitpicky thing is the topic of the week, I just wonder how their views will change once they actually experience some of these games. Yes, graphics aren't everything, but DAMN. And for the first time these kinds of screenshots aren't followed by the comment, "Yeah, but how will it look on your TV with crappy resolution?" If you're lucky enough to have a widescreen HD setup I'd say be prepared to have your mind blown. Even if you don't, it will still be an amazing experience. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these things...

I honestly don't see how Resistance's graphics are better then the ones in Gears of War.

And that's my second biggest gripe with the machine. First is the price, which means I won't even get one until like 4 years after launch, but we've been through that. The second is that the main selling point of the machine is the fact their games look prettier then everyone else's. But so far, they look pretty much the same as some of the 360 games. The price difference is huge here, and their clear-cut advantage disappears when comparing certain games?

The graphics aren't better than GOW, but GOW came in an entire year after the Xbox 360 was released.

I really don't think any other Xbox 360 games compare in terms of graphics; though even if you did think so I would have to point out that this game stays at a solid 30 fps even with 40 player multiplayer.

And, the power still left unharnessed on the PS3 is an insane amount; these are only launch games that are looking this awesome.

Those pics do not impress me at all (at least of Lair). Much of them show a lack of polish overall and use tricks like lighting to cover up some of the poor quality in some of them.

You'd think with all that space they have they could afford some decent anti-aliasing.

That does not, however, apply to Resistance. That game looks truly kick arse. To be honest, I would expect nothing less from a $600 console.

Yeah, in those screens Lair seems to be suffering a little bit from jaggies, but the game isn't a launch title and they have plenty of time to fix that. Even if it did stay that way the the videos of the game make it look so awesomely fun that I must get it whenever it comes out (as long as it gets good reviews which I am pretty damn sure it will.). You should watch the developer interview though, it sound like the controls on the game are going to utilize the six axis controller VERY nicely. I'm so excited :D.

Indeed. Even gargantuan fps like UT2k4 and farcry don't take that much, I smell inflation in those numbers. The game seems good and has tons of stuff, but I don't think they crammed so much different stuff to have to use 16 gb of space, even moreso by seeing in videos and images the same enemies over and over.

The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34764

According to Ryan Schneider, spokesman for Insomniac Games, "Resistance: Fall of Man" Blu-ray PS3 game is making good use of the new format, using up a massive 22 gigabytes for music, level data, textures and code. These discs can only hold 25 gigabytes in total per layer. Pointing to the fact that HD-DVD cannot store this much information on a single layer disc, he kind of threw some sand in Microsoft and Toshiba's eyes. He said for this reason of extra storage capacity, this game will be PS3/Blu-ray only.

Schneider offered some distinguishing stats (which he called MTV News on Tuesday to further clarify). The game, he said, currently takes up 22 Gigabytes of memory on a Blu-Ray disc, the new disc format supported by the PS3 that is one-half of a VHS-vs.-Betamax format war erupting between tech companies throughout the year. While the music and vocals in "Resistance" take up only about 1 Gigabyte of disc space, graphics, level data and programming code occupy most of the remaining 21.

I haven't played the game so I don't know how all of this game so I don't know just how everything is utilized, but with 40 player multiplayer, massive environments, a 15 hour single player campaign, Insanely awesome normal mapping... etc I can see them using up around this much space; Though I really assume that much of the space was used up because they had the space and didn't feel like compressing things

which is usually done with large DVD games. I'm pretty sure leaving it uncompressed also speeds up the game alot since the data doesn't need to be uncompressed, this may be one of the reasons why it the frame rate never hiccups throughout the entire game. Just speculation though.

And, the power still left unharnessed on the PS3 is an insane amount; these are only launch games that are looking this awesome.

This is what has me hopeful for the console. Looking at titles like MGS4 and White Knight Story, I have to stop and remember the early PS2 titles I thought were gorgeous back when the system was still new and look at the improvements since then.

Though I don't think either of those games are launch titles. Still.

According to Ryan Schneider, spokesman for Insomniac Games, "Resistance: Fall of Man" Blu-ray PS3 game is making good use of the new format, using up a massive 22 gigabytes for music, level data, textures and code. These discs can only hold 25 gigabytes in total per layer. Pointing to the fact that HD-DVD cannot store this much information on a single layer disc, he kind of threw some sand in Microsoft and Toshiba's eyes. He said for this reason of extra storage capacity, this game will be PS3/Blu-ray only.

Schneider offered some distinguishing stats (which he called MTV News on Tuesday to further clarify). The game, he said, currently takes up 22 Gigabytes of memory on a Blu-Ray disc, the new disc format supported by the PS3 that is one-half of a VHS-vs.-Betamax format war erupting between tech companies throughout the year. While the music and vocals in "Resistance" take up only about 1 Gigabyte of disc space, graphics, level data and programming code occupy most of the remaining 21.

I haven't played the game so I don't know how all of this game so I don't know just how everything is utilized, but with 40 player multiplayer, massive environments, a 15 hour single player campaign, Insanely awesome normal mapping... etc I can see them using up around this much space; Though I really assume that much of the space was used up because they had the space and didn't feel like compressing things

which is usually done with large DVD games. I'm pretty sure leaving it uncompressed also speeds up the game alot since the data doesn't need to be uncompressed, this may be one of the reasons why it the frame rate never hiccups throughout the entire game. Just speculation though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_%28video_game%29#Storage

The game has been downsized to use slightly more than 16 GB. It looks like they just stuffed a bunch of movies on there, which is why it takes up so much space. I'm disliking this push towards more in game cinematics more and more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_%28video_game%29#Storage

The game has been downsized to use slightly more than 16 GB. It looks like they just stuffed a bunch of movies on there, which is why it takes up so much space. I'm disliking this push towards more in game cinematics more and more.

This is going to make the next Finakl Fantasy amazing.

Go outside town, cinematic. You get into a fight, cinematic. You attack, cinematic. You get hit, cinematic. You win, cinematic. Cinematic to show what items and how much experience points you just won.

/sarcasm btw ;p

Apparently a bad launch for the people involved, but I think you have to be a hardcore type to get involved with messy launches like those.

And a major LOL at the Chinese nationals, pirates and scalpers getting in on the action. They are everywhere nowadays when it comes down to games. Even online.

What the FUCK?! It's over 9000?!! Not being funny, I'm being serious. What the fuck

Considering there's a good chance now that the US launch shipment will be cut in half to around 200K, 9 grand may well turn out to be a good deal, for a guaranteed system.

Here, link.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Playstation_3_shipments_cut_in_half

Granted, it's from one source and whatnot, but I can really see it happening. Guess we'll have to wait until monday and see if other game news outlets report on it.

What the FUCK?! It's over 9000?!! Not being funny, I'm being serious. What the fuck

Considering there's a good chance now that the US launch shipment will be cut in half to around 200K, 9 grand may well turn out to be a good deal, for a guaranteed system.

Here, link.

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Playstation_3_shipments_cut_in_half

Granted, it's from one source and whatnot, but I can really see it happening. Guess we'll have to wait until monday and see if other game news outlets report on it.

Meh, some random Best Buy employee isn't a good enough source to stand by. I work at a Best Buy store, and some people don't know what they're talking about sometimes.

This is what has me hopeful for the console. Looking at titles like MGS4 and White Knight Story, I have to stop and remember the early PS2 titles I thought were gorgeous back when the system was still new and look at the improvements since then.

Though I don't think either of those games are launch titles. Still.

I remember when the PS2 came out I was a little dissapointed. It seemed like a bunch of PS1 games with higher res textures slapped on, which were true for a good number of games. To have early PS3 games look like this is a good sign. I think if developers really push the machine we can see some fantastic games.

And as for the Japanese launch, who knows when I'll be able to get a PS3. They are selling consistantly on Yahoo Auction for $1500+ and there's no way I'm spending more than the retail price for the system. I guess I'll just have to wait.

So PS3 game reviews are starting to slowly come in.

So far those with at least one review on Metacritic as of Nov 12 are:

Genji 2

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Resistance: Fall of Man

Tony Hawk Project 8

Seems like the launch line up only makes Resistance: Fall of Man shine even brighter. I don't think it's suprising at all it has a 91 so far; I'd expect it to keep around that score even after the rest of the reviews are in. Ah well, still not enough to convince me to get a PS3 just yet (I'll probably just wait till July, when MGS4 comes out).

EDIT:

And as for the Japanese launch, who knows when I'll be able to get a PS3. They are selling consistantly on Yahoo Auction for $1500+ and there's no way I'm spending more than the retail price for the system.

Totally. Out of principle, I think it's silly to pay over 2 times the retail cost for something like that when it just encourages people to continue scalping systems at launch like that.

Edit: More PS3 lol - Sony needs to get its act together.

This has already been linked here (i.e. PLD), but to be fair this has little to do with Sony and more to do with how the retailers handled the situation and the short supply of PS3s available. Beyond that it's just monetary gain that leads people to do stuff like this.

Rich businessman pays poor Chinese men $200 to stand in line for a few days to buy a $600 system. Then sell said system on Yahoo Auction for $1200. There's a $400 profit just for one system, and multiply that buy X and you'll have people making decent coin off of this thing. Supply and demand issues will create this. Not saying Sony is not at all at fault here, but it seems they are producing systems as fast as they can.

This has already been linked here (i.e. PLD), but to be fair this has little to do with Sony and more to do with how the retailers handled the situation and the short supply of PS3s available. Beyond that it's just monetary gain that leads people to do stuff like this.

Rich businessman pays poor Chinese men $200 to stand in line for a few days to buy a $600 system. Then sell said system on Yahoo Auction for $1200. There's a $400 profit just for one system, and multiply that buy X and you'll have people making decent coin off of this thing. Supply and demand issues will create this. Not saying Sony is not at all at fault here, but it seems they are producing systems as fast as they can.

But $18 million isn't just decent coin - that's an incredible amount! I think Sony should've delayed launch though - there's no reason why delaying the launch would have an adverse effect, considering that people would gulp it up anyway. This shortage is completely Sony's fault for trying to rush it out before Christmas.

But $18 million isn't just decent coin - that's an incredible amount! I think Sony should've delayed launch though - there's no reason why delaying the launch would have an adverse effect, considering that people would gulp it up anyway. This shortage is completely Sony's fault.

Think about it from Sony's perspective. They have a finished product ready to go, and a public who is clamoring to buy it. Production issues limit the amount of units they can produce by launch, so in order to help out the situation in Japan and the US they delay the European launch to many jeers, even though a worldwide release is very hard to accomplish for such a system. Would you sell all of your available units now, get people so hyped up about it they are willing to pay over $1000 for your system or let Nintendo and Microsoft eat up even more potential customers? Sony is just getting the machine out there. The kids who stood in line for days will surely be bringing all their friends over to play it. Those kids will want one too, and will buy it when the next shipment comes in. How is driving the demand for your system through the roof a bad move for Sony? Who cares if some people make money off of this? It's not like this wasn't the case with the PS2.

But $18 million isn't just decent coin - that's an incredible amount! I think Sony should've delayed launch though - there's no reason why delaying the launch would have an adverse effect, considering that people would gulp it up anyway. This shortage is completely Sony's fault.

Think about it from Sony's perspective. They have a finished product ready to go, and a public who is clamoring to buy it. Production issues limit the amount of units they can produce by launch, so in order to help out the situation in Japan and the US they delay the European launch to many jeers, even though a worldwide release is very hard to accomplish for such a system. Would you sell all of your available units now, get people so hyped up about it they are willing to pay over $1000 for your system or let Nintendo and Microsoft eat up even more potential customers? Sony is just getting the machine out there. The kids who stood in line for days will surely be bringing all their friends over to play it. Those kids will want one too, and will buy it when the next shipment comes in. How is driving the demand for your system through the roof a bad move for Sony? Who cares if some people make money off of this? It's not like this wasn't the case with the PS2.

But also from this perspective, there are surely many buyers who might get pissed off that they payed so much for what is frankly so little (at least at launch). From a purely business perspective, it's dangerous business, especially since it appears that they won't be able to manufacture as much for launch as they did for the PS2 launch, and with this expanded market, it could backfire. They already alienate many consumers with many big incidents, and it partially shows in their huge losses & decreased profit - right now the company is on dangerous ground, and moves like this can only serve to possibly hasten their death.

^ How are $50-$60 games overpriced? I'm sure you remember the day when SNES/Megadrive games were very expensive. I got my copy of FFVI for $80 back in 1995 or whenever it came out. That's like $100 today. Did I enjoy the game any less?

But also from this perspective, there are surely many buyers who might get pissed off that they payed so much for what is frankly so little (at least at launch). From a purely business perspective, it's dangerous business, especially since it appears that they won't be able to manufacture as much for launch as they did for the PS2 launch, and with this expanded market, it could backfire. They already alienate many consumers with many big incidents, and it partially shows in their huge losses & decreased profit - right now the company is on dangerous ground, and moves like this can only serve to possibly hasten their death.

You're telling me the people who managed to get a PS3 at launch are pissed off? If they are so disappointed, then they can easily sell the system on eBay for a large profit. And for those that buy the system in eBay, they obviously really want the system and have enough money to pay that much so I don't see why they would be pissed off. No one is forcing these people to buy the PS3. I really want the system myself, but does the fact that there are people out there right now who have it piss me off? No, because I wasn't willing to camp out all night or pay double the price to have it. Let the fanatics snap it up, and the rest of us who aren't children can deal with the fact that we might have to wait a few months to get the system. I've been waiting for the PS3 a long time now so a few more months isn't going to kill me, and with a lot of the great games out there right now there are plenty of things to keep myself busy with. Delaying the launch would just create the same situation, except at a later date.