Sony PS3

Bigfoot

It's expensive to people who just want to play games and could care less about blu-ray. The Xbox360 is giving you the option to get a seperate HD-DVD player add-on. Sony is forcing it on you by including it into the system, thus making it more expensive.

Oxymoron. That's what that comment is. So what about the people who DO want Bluray? What about those who actually want HD content? You can't just use the 'people who don't care' argument. People tend to care about stuff they buy. Duh.

It's expensive to people who just want to play games and could care less about blu-ray. The Xbox360 is giving you the option to get a seperate HD-DVD player add-on. Sony is forcing it on you by including it into the system, thus making it more expensive.

Oxymoron. That's what that comment is. So what about the people who DO want Bluray? What about those who actually want HD content? You can't just use the 'people who don't care' argument. People tend to care about stuff they buy. Duh.

That's why I didn't say "Everyone doesn't care about Blu-Ray".

It's expensive to people who don't care about Blu-Ray.

It's just right for people who want to take advantage of Blu-Ray.

That better for you? :P

Burbank Best Buy campers removed

lol, sucks to be them. What a waste of days.

Awesome. I bet they were pissed.

I'd sue. In this world I bet they'd win too. They're going to have to put those signs up every time something big comes out that involves lines.

It's dick, but Best Buy has every right, it's their property.

It just sucks that they didnt tell them that when they started lining up. Its like hehe, wouldnt it be funny if we let them sit there for a couple days and then kick them out.

But still, they're idiots to want to spend 11 days waiting in front of best buy.

AWESOME. For those of you who can't find it in the big article:

What's different from Microsoft's implementation is that the hard drive is easily accessible via a special compartment on the console. Just a flip of the lid and a removal of a few screws is all that's required to separate the hard drive from the system. What's even more interesting is that Sony explicitly states in its Safety and Support manual that the system will accept any 2.5" SATA hard drive, which will eliminate any user cries of storage limitations like what Xbox 360 owners are experiencing. People getting (or stuck with) the 20GB version of the PlayStation 3 could easily upgrade to a drive that would surpass its more expensive older brother. This also opens up the opportunity of upgrading to a faster, 7200 RPM drive. At DailyTech, we've already attempted to use a 3.5" 320GB hard drive (with some creative cabling), and had no problem utilizing the new drive.

The process in changing to another SATA drive is remarkably simple. All one needs to do in install the new hard drive in the reverse manner of removing it, and the system will alert the user on boot-up that a new drive is detected and needs to be formatted. After the format, the system fully recognizes the change in storage space and moves along with nary a hitch.

This is good news. The 20 gig still lacks WiFi, but for the extra $100 you can get a LOT more storage space if you buy it yourself. In fact I just bought a replacement 2.5" hard drive for my laptop yesterday. 120 gig 7200rpm drive for about $100. With that amount of space you could put your whole collection of games on there for easy and fast loading.

AWESOME. For those of you who can't find it in the big article:

What's different from Microsoft's implementation is that the hard drive is easily accessible via a special compartment on the console. Just a flip of the lid and a removal of a few screws is all that's required to separate the hard drive from the system. What's even more interesting is that Sony explicitly states in its Safety and Support manual that the system will accept any 2.5" SATA hard drive, which will eliminate any user cries of storage limitations like what Xbox 360 owners are experiencing. People getting (or stuck with) the 20GB version of the PlayStation 3 could easily upgrade to a drive that would surpass its more expensive older brother. This also opens up the opportunity of upgrading to a faster, 7200 RPM drive. At DailyTech, we've already attempted to use a 3.5" 320GB hard drive (with some creative cabling), and had no problem utilizing the new drive.

The process in changing to another SATA drive is remarkably simple. All one needs to do in install the new hard drive in the reverse manner of removing it, and the system will alert the user on boot-up that a new drive is detected and needs to be formatted. After the format, the system fully recognizes the change in storage space and moves along with nary a hitch.

This is good news. The 20 gig still lacks WiFi, but for the extra $100 you can get a LOT more storage space if you buy it yourself. In fact I just bought a replacement 2.5" hard drive for my laptop yesterday. 120 gig 7200rpm drive for about $100. With that amount of space you could put your whole collection of games on there for easy and fast loading.

Yeah, with a faster read time and more space, this could be excellent news for the PS3 - paying $100 more or so is not a problem if you're giving a potential boost in performance (i.e. with the hard drive loading of games), especially if you invest $600 in the PS3. Kudos to Sony for this.

Here's what would really be the make or break deal with the PS3.. could you swap out the Blu-Ray drive with a faster model, at a later date?

If so, then with being able to replace the hard drive with a much larger, faster laptop SATA drive, and being able to upgrade the BD drive with something much faster, as well as being able to install the inevitable custom created Gentoo and use it as a real, very powerful computer WITH heavy gaming performance.. then yeah, it might be worth it. At 450 bucks, for the premium one, even. Reason for that price, is just because of the cost of the upgrades.

But right now, just as a gaming machine, it doesn't really interest me. As a computer, if I had a board with a PCI-E slot, it'd be a toss up between that and a GeForce 8800 GTX.

Here's what would really be the make or break deal with the PS3.. could you swap out the Blu-Ray drive with a faster model, at a later date?

If so, then with being able to replace the hard drive with a much larger, faster laptop SATA drive, and being able to upgrade the BD drive with something much faster, as well as being able to install the inevitable custom created Gentoo and use it as a real, very powerful computer WITH heavy gaming performance.. then yeah, it might be worth it. At 450 bucks, for the premium one, even. Reason for that price, is just because of the cost of the upgrades.

But right now, just as a gaming machine, it doesn't really interest me. As a computer, if I had a board with a PCI-E slot, it'd be a toss up between that and a GeForce 8800 GTX.

Yeah, if you want to do that much upgrading I'd say stick with a PC. You don't get quite the amount of software for the PC, especially from Japanese game companies, but you'll have a kick ass machine for FPS's and whatnot. Still, the ability to put a high capacity high speed drive in the PS3 pretty much negates the need for a faster blu-ray drive. Since most of the game will already be loaded to the HD, you'll only really be using the blu-ray drive to verify the fact that you actually have the game and for viewing movies (which don't benefit from having a faster drive speed to my knowledge).

And I'm sure with the HD included there will eventually be some softmodding for the PS3 that allows you to run an OS, emus, homebrews etc. Imagine the emulation potential for the PS3 with a huge HD and it's computing power. You could probably emulate just about anything at 100%, aside from maybe Xbox games. Plus you wouldn't have to mess with discs, you could just have craploads of games on your HD available for at times.

meijer's (a 24 hour super store) is going to have a few ps3's and release at midnight.

How many hrs. do you think I need to wait?

should I get in line:

24 hrs. before?

36 hrs. before?

12 hrs. before?

input please. I'm in suburbs of Detroit.

I was thinking along the lines of about 20 hours, getting in line at about 4am on Thursday.

I understand that If i'm not one of the very first three people there that i'll be wasting my time. So that is all that matters to me.

Detroit? I'd bring a gun or baseball bat, regardless of the length of time you spend out front of the store.

You might want to wait a week or so after launch. By then, they should have more units shipped, you'll be aware of any issues with the system and games, and you won't have to fight people off for it.

Seriously, just wait a bit. Having it right away isn't going to make it any better than having it a month from now.

Hey man thx for reply-but,

first of all, it's SUBURBS of detroit, so plz don't worry about me, I'll be just fine ;)

second, the money is not an issue, i'm fortunate like that

third, the time is not an issue, i'm also fortunate like that

getting one to play THIS weekend is key.

any input is appreciated. currently thinking 20 hours...if anybody has a good reason I should consider otherwise, I'd love to hear it because I'm new at this.

SONY LOL!!!

Sorry. Had to. Sony's become an even bigger joke than Thompson.

(Dates may be slightly off, but it's close to correct)

E3: 2 million units, global launch.

August: Euro dropped until next year, 2 million units.

Sept: 1 Million..

Oct: 500K

Nov: 200K, "globally".

And to think.. of those 200K total units, there won't even be 200K PS3 games sold for at least another few weeks, because a good 60% of those units will end up on ebay or something, to turn a huge buck.

And the people who still say Sony will have close to a million units by the end of the year? Sony's been producing for 3 months to get THIS many units. 750K by Dec 31 just isn't going to happen.