Sony PS3

Bigfoot

thanks for feedback guys, all that's left to do is make sure i go to a location that is getting at least one, because i'll be first in line, i'm going to go start waiting tonight so that'd be 24+ hours.

boohoo, sleep deprivation, i get all next week off to play my ps3 until my eyes fall out...and i don't have to pay ridiculous auction price for it.

time is money, i'm spending time, not money.

so then it's settled.

24+ hours is the solution.

thanks for feedback guys, all that's left to do is make sure i go to a location that is getting at least one, because i'll be first in line, i'm going to go start waiting tonight so that'd be 24+ hours.

boohoo, sleep deprivation, i get all next week off to play my ps3 until my eyes fall out...and i don't have to pay ridiculous auction price for it.

time is money, i'm spending time, not money.

so then it's settled.

24+ hours is the solution.

Hey man, at least you are keeping it. That's some dedication right there. Good luck and I hope you can get one. I'd like to see more people actually using the system rather than selling it to make a quick buck.

Hahaha, Taiwan got 500 PS3s for launch.... FIVE HUNDRED!!!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746200p1.html

hahaha oh man, what the fuck?

EDIT: I mean.. if taht's Taiwan, I wonder how many are going to be shipped to central and south america, 1 for peru, one for colombia, one for puerto rico, and a half a ps3 to the Dominican Republic.

This will sound ignorant because it is. Could someone explain the deal with the backwards compatibility of the PS3? I read that somewhere near 200 games do not work with the PS3(during the Japan launch). Sony claims they will "fix" it and someone mentions "firmware". What does this mean in practical layman terms? If I buy a PS3 a year from now, will it be fully backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games out of the box?

I have a bad feeling your answer at this point will be "I don't know". :( Thanks in advance for any clarification; I often get lost amidst all the techno-talk.

This will sound ignorant because it is. Could someone explain the deal with the backwards compatibility of the PS3? I read that somewhere near 200 games do not work with the PS3(during the Japan launch). Sony claims they will "fix" it and someone mentions "firmware". What does this mean in practical layman terms? If I buy a PS3 a year from now, will it be fully backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games out of the box?

I have a bad feeling your answer at this point will be "I don't know". :( Thanks in advance for any clarification; I often get lost amidst all the techno-talk.

Don't worry, they'll have it fixed before you get one.

Hahaha, Taiwan got 500 PS3s for launch.... FIVE HUNDRED!!!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746200p1.html

hahaha oh man, what the fuck?

EDIT: I mean.. if taht's Taiwan, I wonder how many are going to be shipped to central and south america, 1 for peru, one for colombia, one for puerto rico, and a half a ps3 to the Dominican Republic.

If you managed to get a ps3 in some country like Columbia or some place like that you would get shout if any one found out you had one.

No one can say for sure, but I'd say that within a year they will have the compatibility to 100%. Seems like there is some bug in there that the next firmware update should fix, which is basically a downloadable (or present on game discs) upgrade like Windows updater.

So, this year stores are fucking over campers because the shipment numbers are so low - I was camping Walmart, until management changed their mind and said that 8 pm is the national Walmart campout time for PS3, with there being only 2 PS3s at the store (which suggests a raffle). I almost got my hands on a PS3 at a raffle for the 24 hour camping spot from Meijer tonight (3 60 GB PS3s, and 1 20 GB PS3), but I was 2 away. I'm going to try my hand at a Walmart tomorrow night, but the number of people who are willing to camp is staggering - almost all of the people are camping for ebay selling too. At the Meijer, there were over 130 people there for the raffle for the right to camp out. At the Best Buy across the street, there were probably over 15 people with tents camping out. This is so ridiculous.

I stopped by Best Buy today to scope out the area, and there were about 20-30 people camping out. The first three in line said they had started at around lunch time on tuesday. Crazy stuff... The best part was that almost all of them were huddled over their DS's.

A bunch of us were playing multiplayer Tetris :D . At least I met some people there. One of the guys I met nailed a 20 GB PS3 spot. 1 person also had a PSP, although mine is in NY, and another had a modded slim PS2 with an LCD screen.

The trick is that the main processor of the PS2 is included in the PS3. Unfortunately, they're not including the chip that did the sound processing, so they have to write software to mimic its functions. And that software isn't 100% complete yet.

I'm not getting a PS3 (ever; I'm avoiding Sony products. Never got a PS2 either.), but I'm reasonably confident that Sony is working on this problem. However, they -never- got the sound quite right for PS1 games on the PS2, so I wouldn't expect perfection. [disagree? compare FFT music between the two systems. There's a difference]

Thanks for posting these links.
Also impressive to iSuppli is the level of engineering that's gone into the console. "To give an example of how cutting-edge the design is," says Rassweiler, "in the entire history of the iSuppli Teardown Analysis team, we have seen only three semiconductors with 1,200 or more pins. The PlayStation 3 has three such semiconductors all by itself.”
I like how this impresses me even though I'm ignorant of every single detail.

Like most people,

A.I have never heard of iSuppli

B.I have no idea how long the "entire history of the iSuppli Teardown Analysis team" indicates.

C. 3 semiconductors? With 1,200 or more pins? Impressive?!

I wish we'd go back to simpler terminology (like the inaccurate MBs for games), but that is unlikely.

Is it still a fair summary to say that in terms of technological output(I guess we can say this means graphics and memory achievements) the PS3>XBOX360>Wii?

Someone needs to do something about all these damn price gouging ebay people.

It'd be nice if it were possible. Some lame older gentleman was on the news. They asked him if he was keeping it or selling it. He had the most stupid smile on his face "I'm just here to get it so I can sell it. It's all about the money".

He probably doesn't own one gaming system, and probably just heard about the PS3 from friends or something.

It'd be nice if it were possible. Some lame older gentleman was on the news. They asked him if he was keeping it or selling it. He had the most stupid smile on his face "I'm just here to get it so I can sell it. It's all about the money".

He probably doesn't own one gaming system, and probably just heard about the PS3 from friends or something.

And these are people who probably visit Fatwallet.com or so. From what I've seen with the camping though, many of the resellers are college/grad students.

And these are people who probably visit Fatwallet.com or so. From what I've seen with the camping though, many of the resellers are college/grad students.

I'd probably spit on one of them.

I'd probably spit on one of them.

Hey, if people are willing to spend over $3000 on a PS3 like they're doing now, then the money would go to a better purpose with a college/grad student than them.