Sony PS3

Bigfoot

I just love watching these people wait for this, or the people that end up buying it on ebay for 2000+ bucks, just to have their hearts broke when the first gen is trash just like every playstation release before it. You would seriously think that people would realize how these things go. Wait till the 4th gen at least.

:roll:

Lol useless post!

Seriously though, all three companies were in a rush to get the consoles on the shelves by the holidays, either in 2005 or 2006. It means a hell of a lot more to have your product out there by Christmas than it does to have a couple million extra units. It's not like they're purposefully sitting on their hands not making consoles - they are often finalizing the design until fairly late in the whole process, and then if there are major production problems, as with Sony, they are royally screwed. Nintendo's biggest advantage is that its hardware is easier and cheaper to produce, so they can start production earlier and do it faster.

The 64 thousand dollar question though, did anyone here actually get one?

I want to hear from the source, the gamers, how this thing is running. Show me all the reviews, media, G4 coverage you want, these people are all paid to do it. I want to hear from John Smith about starting up Madden 07 for the first time. I heard most of the launch titles are hit or miss, and Gamespot even gave one of them a 3.9.

I watched an employee play some dirt racing game today. The only thing that looked awesome was all the stuff in the background with how clear it looked. I couldn't believe how shitty the grass was(lolpeoplemakingfunofCoD3ontheWii). You know how the trees are on Mario 64? The way it faces follows you whenever you go, well that's how the grass was in this game.

Also, the motion sensing controller does not work well at all.

I was wondering when this would turn up:

Smashmyps3.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTy7Nx0oPI

Got mine today! And its running fine, no problems at all. The games, with the exception of resistance where your normal Sony launch fare, a bunch of differant genres covered, with only a few really good or even decent games. its ok, it'll get better. Lets face it, the 360 didnt have much goin for it at its launch.

I watched an employee play some dirt racing game today. The only thing that looked awesome was all the stuff in the background with how clear it looked. I couldn't believe how shitty the grass was(lolpeoplemakingfunofCoD3ontheWii). You know how the trees are on Mario 64? The way it faces follows you whenever you go, well that's how the grass was in this game.

Also, the motion sensing controller does not work well at all.

Smashmyps3.com

If you are talking about Motor Storm then I have to say I had a somewhat different impression of it. The graphics looked insanely awesome apart from the bushes and stuff which looked added rather than natural, but the reflection mapping on the vehicles, the particle effects, and the clearness of it all was pretty damn amazing. There were some problems with anti-aliasing,

and the environment I played in was somewhat drab, but it still looked insane. Also if you crash to hard into something your car explodes and you can see every part in the air, and then it does a freeze frame and does a matrix style effect around all the parts (really awesome). It may not be the best for the PS3, but I don't think the graphics can be easily dissed. Also, I thought the motion controlling was even better than the analog stick, and that it was really badass, but maybe you were playing another game.

Also, everyone should see this game in action. Watch one of the gameplay videos on IGN. This is the actual gameplay, and I can't believe how close they were able to come to their E3 demo video (and this is a launch title!). http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748488/vids_1.html

928393_111606_screen019.jpg

928393_111606_screen022.jpg

928393_111606_screen043.jpg

motorstorm-20060926023056121.jpg

Smashmyps3.com

They did this for the Xbox 360 too, right?

Even though I know that they can do what they please with their property, a part of me says "WTF NO" to destroying a $600 piece of brand new machinery. 8O

Yeah, and the Ipod and other things. They accept donations from people and when they reach their goal, they spend it on whatever it is they're going to smash.

The 64 thousand dollar question though, did anyone here actually get one?

I want to hear from the source, the gamers, how this thing is running. Show me all the reviews, media, G4 coverage you want, these people are all paid to do it. I want to hear from John Smith about starting up Madden 07 for the first time. I heard most of the launch titles are hit or miss, and Gamespot even gave one of them a 3.9.

Okay, I've battled with trying to remember my password to come out of retirement to answer this.

My fiance and I live in a somewhat small town in New Mexico. We heard about the PS3 preorders at EB on Kotaku and decided to go for it. Since they were really quiet about the preorders being opened we decided to wait it out and go in around 5am. We got there at 5:30 and no one was in sight, so, we sat on the cold bench. Our EB is in the mall and we were waiting for them to open the doors so we could go in. Well, this other guy shows up and just walks right in. They open the doors earlier than I thought. Anyway, we were #2 in line.

Now on to what matters, the system. We got it home yesterday and fired it up. It's amazingly quiet, I mean, you can't even hear it. The games right now are mediocre, except for one, that's Resistance: Fall of Man. That game is probably one of the best first person shooters I've had the joy of playing, but, it's extremely hard.

Anyway, objectively, I believe the console will be something that's going to be -very- good later on. Right now the game lineup just isn't something to be awed with. The console itself is very nice, very well made, the graphics are excellent and I've been impressed with how well the system is so far running and the abilities it possesses.

The price is a bit steep, but, if you compare it to an XBOX 360 with a similar setup, it's not much different. XBOX 360 - $400, HD-DVD Addon - $200, and Wifi Adapter - $100 you come out with $700. The thing is, with the 360, you do get a choice.

The Playstation Store is a bit clunky and I'm confident that they will end up redesigning it sooner or later. Also, while you download from it you can't do anything else (the 360 was this way until MS patched it, I have a feeling Sony will follow suit). I think that if you really want one now then there is nothing wrong with buying it now, if you can get your hands on it. I do however think that I would have rather went ahead and waited until there were a few more games to play, but, I can deal with having it now, in fact, I've already got everything in place to install Linux on it.

Good system, will be great later, super quiet, lots of fun. It just lacks the game library that it will no doubt have later.

Okay, so my uncle and his friend are one of the few people who actually bought a ps3 and kept it and friday night, I gave it a go. He owns a 50"+ HD TV, all that good stuff, surround, but no HDMI cables, just your basic cables from a PS2.

First game I tried was Ridge Racer 7, which was very nice, although not as polished as I hoped it would be, but its a launch game, so no surprise. The enviroments and landscape are beautiful, the best I have ever seen in a racing game. You can actually drive with one hand using the motion-sensing in the controller itself, which I may add, is very responsive, not to mention its the lightest wireless controller I have ever used.

Another nice feature was the ability to turn the system off from the controller itself.

I played Motorstorm next and screenshots do not do this game justice. Everything looks fantastic, not to mention the physics and detail, with no slowdown at all. I boosted over a jump and exploded in midair and watched as my body flailed around in panic and then get run over by another player taking a turn. I'm not a big fan of racers, but I had alot of fun with this game.

Last game I played was Resistance, which plays alot like Halo, and is a VERY fun game. We played co-op and moving through the battlefield got very hectic, and was a blast. The AI in this game was difficult as enemies covered each other and took shots sparingly, making it harder to pick them off. A few of the guns I tried, the assault rifle, the alien-version of the assault rifle, and the shotgun were all very nice, and the in-game cutscenes were even better. There was also a part where you could control a massive tank (Much like the scorpion from Halo) and ride through a destroyed city blasting down alien fortifications. Out of all the PS3 games to get right now, this one should be at the top of your list.

After that, I messed around with the PS3-menu, which borrows much from the PSP. I browsed the internet and tried to look at some of my favorites flashes on newgrounds, but Sony has been lazy and I couldn't download flashplayer :( So I proceeded to youtube and sampled the video "OVER 9,000?" on an HD TV, pretty crazy.

For those wondering about the blu-ray quality, I did watch blu-ray version of Talladega Nights. The quality was excellent as expected, but ya know, I couldn't tell the difference between an HD-DVD movie and this.

And you can BARELY hear the console, I didn't even know it was on, thats how quiet it was.

Also, all launches were not entirely that bad, the two PS3's that my uncle and his friend had, they had no hassle going in and picking up, as the store was only handling people with preorder slips, which meant no lines.

All in all, Its a very nice console, but I don't see myself dropping 600$ on it, That is simply too much, atleast for myself.

As I was listening to one of the video game podcasts I subscribe to, I got to wondering. What is the most amount of money that someone is currently willing to pay for a Playstation 3 system. Behold the price tag (that actually has a bid!) for a Playstation 3 on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/PS3-PlayStation-3-60GB-HAND-DELIVERED-WORLDWIDE-2-U_W0QQitemZ220050739576QQihZ012QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank goodness I'm patient...and poor.

Well, my plan failed, and I didn't get one. Basically, my school starts at 8:30, and any electronics store/Target/Wal-Mart is more than 30 min away. Since all those stores open up at 8, my friend, who didn't have to go to school till 1, offered to get me one if I gave him 50 bucks up front and payed the $600 when he gave me the console. I agreed, not knowing which store he was going to. Well it turns out he went to Fry's, which as I noted earlier, is only selling their systems in $1100 bundle packs. Anyway, the money my friend brought with him could only cover one pack, so he bought one for himself (fucker). At least he gave me my $50 back though.