Sony PS3

Bigfoot

And I still laugh at the laughably long loading times the PS3 will have. Trying to pump 4+ times the data, through something running as fast as a 4x DVD drive(2x BD-ROM=4x DVD-ROM stream speeds), when the PS2 had a 2x DVD drive in it. That means you'll be looking at no less than double the loading times.

I do too. I mean, when are we going to get rid of the fucking annoying load times if shitheads like this guys never do something about it? I've read of X360 games actually loading faster and working smoother than the ps3 counterpart, what the hell? I thought this generation load times could get lessened because the companies would include faster and more efficient reading devices. Alas, we are getting worse loads than in our old ps2's. This makes me sad.

Unfortunately for your argument, Blu-ray actually has a much higher read speed than DVD, so a 4x BD drive is far greater than a 2x DVD player. Look it up on Wikipedia if you want (I'm too lazy), or just trust me. Still, even if it is faster the load times are going to be pretty high.

Ps3 = Blu-Ray Drive 2x

xbox360 = 12x dvd drive

Blu-Ray Transfer speed = 36 Mbps

DVD Transfer speed = 10 Mps

Total:

ps3's BR = 72 Mbps

xbox 360 DVD = 120 Mbps

And I still laugh at the laughably long loading times the PS3 will have. Trying to pump 4+ times the data, through something running as fast as a 4x DVD drive(2x BD-ROM=4x DVD-ROM stream speeds), when the PS2 had a 2x DVD drive in it. That means you'll be looking at no less than double the loading times.

I do too. I mean, when are we going to get rid of the fucking annoying load times if shitheads like this guys never do something about it? I've read of X360 games actually loading faster and working smoother than the ps3 counterpart, what the hell? I thought this generation load times could get lessened because the companies would include faster and more efficient reading devices. Alas, we are getting worse loads than in our old ps2's. This makes me sad.

Unfortunately for your argument, Blu-ray actually has a much higher read speed than DVD, so a 4x BD drive is far greater than a 2x DVD player. Look it up on Wikipedia if you want (I'm too lazy), or just trust me. Still, even if it is faster the load times are going to be pretty high.

Ps3 = Blu-Ray Drive 2x

xbox360 = 12x dvd drive

Total:

ps3's BR = 72 Mbps

xbox 360 DVD = 120 Mbps

Yeah, I am still curious why they couldn't bring the read speeds up; I remember back at CES 2002 they were showing off Blu-Ray, but I guess most if not all new media formats seem to have slower read speeds.

I don't think it will matter too much though, since PS3 can cache and store things on it's built-in hard drive that comes with every console, so it is just up to the game developers to implement this usage.

Ps3 = Blu-Ray Drive 2x

xbox360 = 12x dvd drive

Total:

ps3's BR = 72 Mbps

xbox 360 DVD = 120 Mbps

Sorry, I was focused on the lines in bold, which should only be true if developers are lazy with their coding. If the PS2 had a 2x DVD drive, then it would have a transfer speed of 20Mbps, which is less than 1/3 that of the PS3: 2x BD = 7x DVD.

It is a disappointingly slow media, however, especially for someone who gets annoyed at the DS's long startup screen. Trust me, I dislike the PS3 as much as the next guy, but even so I can't stand misinformation.

Alright then. My information was wrong in a lot of places there. But, it's still slower overall.

2x BluRay(PS3)=9MB/sec(72mbit)

4x DVD(PS2)=5.28MB/sec(~44.3mbit)

Sure, it looks faster. But then you have anywhere from 2x to 8x the data in texture sizes, unless you're happy with SD textures expanded or tiled to be artificial HD textures, along with all the audio and everything else that have to be loaded into a scene, including additional textures to prevent too much cloning within a given scene.

It's about 2/3 faster than the PS2 drive, but has to load more than double the data. It WILL mean higher loading times.

...except when you load from the HD. I know I jacked you, but I'm wondering what people think the HD will be used for? I mean, even with a virtual arcade and a few PS1 games that won't mean more than a gig or two of space. That leaves many gigs just sitting there. The whole point of the HD is that you can load whole games onto it for zippy loading times.

...except when you load from the HD. I know I jacked you, but I'm wondering what people think the HD will be used for? I mean, even with a virtual arcade and a few PS1 games that won't mean more than a gig or two of space. That leaves many gigs just sitting there. The whole point of the HD is that you can load whole games onto it for zippy loading times.

Personally, I'd use the HDD to run a properly functional and enhanced PS2 emulator, through Linux, with the images stored on the drive. That's about the only thing it'd be really handy for. :P

You say "zippy", but I think it's more along the lines of "normal".

You say "zippy", but I think it's more along the lines of "normal".

I think it was something like 2-4 second loading times for Genji. If that's not zippy I don't know what is. Putting a 7400 rpm drive in there should also decrease loading times.

edit: whoops, decrease, not increase. Thx Bahamut.

I think it was something like 2-4 second loading times for Genji. If that's not zippy I don't know what is.

Well, you need that speed, considering the incredibly complex programming that is required to flip the giant crab over and attack its weak spot for massive damage.

I'm sorry. I had to. It's almost done being funny. Only a few more weeks and absolutely nobody will even remember it. Then it's done, I swear.

I think it was something like 2-4 second loading times for Genji. If that's not zippy I don't know what is.

Well, you need that speed, considering the incredibly complex programming that is required to flip the giant crab over and attack its weak spot for massive damage.

I'm sorry. I had to. It's almost done being funny. Only a few more weeks and absolutely nobody will even remember it. Then it's done, I swear.

Can't go wrong with the classic

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACER!

Anyways, I'd would like to see more games that loaded like the Nintendo made Gamecube games, as in no load at all, or cleverly hidden with the doors and such in Metroid Prime.

I doubt it, I mean even Viva Pinata took a crack at it. First Contact for the DS, now this.

vivamassivedamagezu4.jpg

Ps3 = Blu-Ray Drive 2x

xbox360 = 12x dvd drive

Total:

ps3's BR = 72 Mbps

xbox 360 DVD = 120 Mbps

Sorry, I was focused on the lines in bold, which should only be true if developers are lazy with their coding. If the PS2 had a 2x DVD drive, then it would have a transfer speed of 20Mbps, which is less than 1/3 that of the PS3: 2x BD = 7x DVD.

Yes, but you have to take in consideration that now they have to load graphics, textures and information 3 and 4 times the size the resolution of ps2 graphics. So what you have there is a bottleneck, and no advance in speed whatsoever. Just check the load times in say, call of duty 3. About the same as in CoD3 for Ps2.

Ps3 = Blu-Ray Drive 2x

xbox360 = 12x dvd drive

Total:

ps3's BR = 72 Mbps

xbox 360 DVD = 120 Mbps

Yes, but you have to take in consideration that now they have to load graphics, textures and information 3 and 4 times the size the resolution of ps2 graphics. So what you have there is a bottleneck, and no advance in speed whatsoever. Just check the load times in say, call of duty 3. About the same as in CoD3 for Ps2.

Even when loaded on the HD?

So Gran Turismo HD has been cancelled. They're going to focus on Gran Turismo 5 instead; although, they will release a "tech demo" of GTHD on Dec 24th in Japan that will be free to download. No worldwide release is known yet. I'd post the link, but it's all in Japanese.

Well, some of you may be able to read it anyway(like Evilhead).

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/release/nr_20061201_gt5_hd.html

Ps3 = Blu-Ray Drive 2x

xbox360 = 12x dvd drive

Total:

ps3's BR = 72 Mbps

xbox 360 DVD = 120 Mbps

Even when loaded on the HD?

Lol I've read your point about the HD. However, do all the ps3 games load to the HD? the COD3 i saw I couldn't tell if it was loaded in the HD, but the load times were like current ps2 games. Is this something Owners activate or is it up to the programmers?

Anyways, I haven't seen yet a game making use of it, as far as I can tell.

Load times are vital for gamer survival. Gamers would starve to death playing videogames continueously if Sony were not wise enough to introduce load-times long enough to butter toast. Sony could certainly go the extra mile and reduce load-times on their systems, but Sony actualy care's about their gamers so they do not.

But seriously, a little load time isn't all that bad.

Load times are vital for gamer survival. Gamers would starve to death playing videogames continueously if Sony were not wise enough to introduce load-times long enough to butter toast. Sony could certainly go the extra mile and reduce load-times on their systems, but Sony actualy care's about their gamers so they do not.

But seriously, a little load time isn't all that bad.

lol, that's pretty good.

I think for certain games, a little load time is fine. For example, between races in a racing game is totally fine. Having a load time after loading a file on a game or when you're starting a match is pretty much assumed. However, for a more adventure-oriented game, it can be bad in-game because it takes you out of the action that much more. For example, one of the many things that made games like Metroid Prime and Zelda: Twilight Princess so great are (as mentioned before) the hidden load times. For Zelda, you go into a door, the screen quickly fades to black for a second or two, and the action continues. If during the black screen, "Now Loading" pops up it'd kinda take away from the experience (especially if the load takes much more than a few seconds). With Red Steel, one of my biggest gripes with presentation was the longer load times and how it created checkpoints automatically that froze the action (adding "checkpoint..." to the top of the screen) for 5+ seconds at a time. It made it significantly tougher to get into. If they had, in this instance, thought more of presentation and streamlining it, it might have been much better/felt more immersive. (sorry, all my examples here are Nintendo-centric since that's what I've been playing as of late)

No one wants load times, but it is something that we, as gamers, have to deal with. Long load times are a major lowpoint for me, so if a designer can help minimize that (or utilize the hardware in a way that accomplishes this) then it's all the better IMO.

The load times in Silent HIll usually gave me time to think about whether i should stop playing and turn all the lights in the house on or not. it got to the point where i did sometimes, but that was back in the day. i swear i'm over that kind of stuff now :lol: . seriously