Sony PS3

Bigfoot

So Gran Turismo HD has been cancelled. They're going to focus on Gran Turismo 5 instead; although, they will release a "tech demo" of GTHD on Dec 24th in Japan that will be free to download. No worldwide release is known yet. I'd post the link, but it's all in Japanese.

Well, some of you may be able to read it anyway(like Evilhead).

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/release/nr_20061201_gt5_hd.html

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162566.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

A game that was said to be close to 80% complete during E3 and was supposed to hit the launch window, then pushed back to december of next year, being reduced to just a demo with 1 track and 10 cars.

I almost feel sorry for Sony. GT HD was going to be the game that sold a PS3 to a friend of mine who isn't interested at all in the FF or MGS series.

http://www.gametab.com/news/755034/

According to figures from Terapeak Marketplace Research, on November 18th, PS3s were selling on eBay at a rate of one every six seconds. More than 2200 PS3s were sold between 8 am and 10 am PST on November 18th, with more than 35,000 units listed on the online auction site between November 16th and the 22nd.

If you weren't an auction winner, don't feel too bad; you would've paid more than double the list price for your shiny new console. The average sold price of a PS3 on November 18th was $1,243, with the average price for the time period between the 16th and the 22nd ranging just a bit higher at $1,276.

Kicking yourself for waiting in line overnight but not putting your PS3 on the auction block? According to Terapeak's numbers, not every seller walked away happy. Of the 35,521 PS3's listed between the 16th and the 22nd, only 28,546 auctions were "successful," which means a whole lot of auctioneers were left holding a very expensive bag.

This is a bit ridiculous.

So Gran Turismo HD has been cancelled. They're going to focus on Gran Turismo 5 instead; although, they will release a "tech demo" of GTHD on Dec 24th in Japan that will be free to download. No worldwide release is known yet. I'd post the link, but it's all in Japanese.

A game that was said to be close to 80% complete during E3 and was supposed to hit the launch window, then pushed back to december of next year, being reduced to just a demo with 1 track and 10 cars.

I almost feel sorry for Sony. GT HD was going to be the game that sold a PS3 to a friend of mine who isn't interested at all in the FF or MGS series.

So he's not interested in GT5? How does this even make sense? Maybe Sony listened to all the people bitching about GT HD.

So he's not interested in GT5? How does this even make sense? Maybe Sony listened to all the people bitching about GT HD.

Let me rephrase.. it would have sold a PS3 to him before 2008/2009, when GT5 might be ready. If lucky. If they haven't decided to move it to the 360 by then.

Let me rephrase.. it would have sold a PS3 to him before 2008/2009, when GT5 might be ready. If lucky. If they haven't decided to move it to the 360 by then.

OK you really have no clue what you're talking about there. There is NO WAY that would EVER be on 360. Admit you were wrong and that your friend just wants to wait until that specific game comes out, but is still interested in the console.

OK you really have no clue what you're talking about there. There is NO WAY that would EVER be on 360. Admit you were wrong and that your friend just wants to wait until that specific game comes out, but is still interested in the console.

No, if the PS3 doesn't have a suitable userbase, or if the PS3 is no longer financially viable, GT5 may either be scrapped, or the contract moved. It isn't the first time a game has been scrapped.

I don't think it can happen yet with Polyphony since they're an internal development team of Sony. So unless they pull a Rareware, they are not going anywhere.

I wonder if that even matters now that Microsoft has Project Gotham Racing and Forza Motorsport.

It does because Gotham is a very different game and Forza is a new/less widely known take on the same idea!

I don't think it can happen yet with Polyphony since they're an internal development team of Sony. So unless they pull a Rareware, they are not going anywhere.

I wonder if that even matters now that Microsoft has Project Gotham Racing and Forza Motorsport.

Considering a launch-window game that was shown off at E3 and was "80% complete" at the time, ended up being scrapped, from an internal development team, it could be that things are going bad at Sony.

Then again, now that someone with a focus on software is in charge, there could be a few more of these kind of cuts coming in, in the near future. Kaz might be the best thing to happen to the PS3, period. Let's hope he doesn't turn out to degrade into the PR puppet of Kutaragi.

With Ken no longer having his hands in the cookie jar, Sony may pull through after all. But is it too little, too late? Maybe if Kaz had been in charge of development of the PS3, it would have turned out more like the Wii, instead of a system that tries too much and does too little.

Apparently on Monday the store I work at got a PS3 in. No one called about PS3s or even asked in the store about them. It wasn't until Thursday until someone asked and we said "FINALLY." I think it's rather comical.

Damn. That sounds like a total backfire of everything Sony was trying to do by overhyping and under supplying the system. It got so bad that people who want one don't even try to ask for them, because they automatically assume if any have come in, they've sold out already.

Apparently on Monday the store I work at got a PS3 in. No one called about PS3s or even asked in the store about them. It wasn't until Thursday until someone asked and we said "FINALLY." I think it's rather comical.

Damn. That sounds like a total backfire of everything Sony was trying to do by overhyping and under supplying the system. It got so bad that people who want one don't even try to ask for them, because they automatically assume if any have come in, they've sold out already.

Heh, well I don't think it's that bad. Aside from just a few systems that get overlooked that way, Sony shouldn't be having a problem selling whatever small amount of consoles they can make. And even for the ones that get overlooked that way, they usually wouldn't go more than a few days without being noticed and bought, I'd imagine.

Honestly, I'm glad to hear it. I mean, why bother? We really don't need these interim games (remember the canceled GT2000?), which Polyphony seems to enjoy wasting time on, instead of developing its main games.

Heh, well I don't think it's that bad. Aside from just a few systems that get overlooked that way, Sony shouldn't be having a problem selling whatever small amount of consoles they can make. And even for the ones that get overlooked that way, they usually wouldn't go more than a few days without being noticed and bought, I'd imagine.

Funny you say that becasue it could be true haha. My coousin works at Best Buy and he told me that some random shipment of 13 60GB PS3s came into the store and he had to take care of putting them on the floor since he works in Media and as soon as he came out of the backroom people saw what he was carrying and they sold out before he even got to place them. Haha its crazy.

Personally I can wait untill a price drop since there is a bunch of ps2 games I want to play (if I can ever find the time). My roomate haas a Wii actually he has 3, since the first one he bought broke within a few days, and then Nintendo sent a replacement that was broken as well, and today he finally recieved a working Wii. The only game right now for the Wii is Zelda and PS3 had Resistance. 360 will be coming out with Halo 3 soon so that will factor into the mix. I'm just gonna sit back with some old school and like Prez Bush stay away and see how the war plays out.

I've assumed that's how it's been. Employees never tell you when they're gonna get any in even if they do know when they are. For the most part, if I'm at a store I just look where they would be and don't even bother asking or calling ahead for that matter. Heh...although, I did try to bribe a Target employee to call me the second he knew they got some in. He shot me down though. Of course, I wouldn't have had to gone through any of this had the Sam Goody here gotten their shipment OR notified me at some point that my reservation wouldn't be fulfilled until at least n-n-n-next ye-ye-year. Fuck! Ass!

I've assumed that's how it's been. Employees never tell you when they're gonna get any in even if they do know when they are. For the most part, if I'm at a store I just look where they would be and don't even bother asking or calling ahead for that matter. Heh...although, I did try to bribe a Target employee to call me the second he knew they got some in. He shot me down though. Of course, I wouldn't have had to gone through any of this had the Sam Goody here gotten their shipment OR notified me at some point that my reservation wouldn't be fulfilled until at least n-n-n-next ye-ye-year. Fuck! Ass!

Yeah, the same thing happened with the PS2 came out. There were no PS2s in stores and they were going for insane prices on eBay. I gave up wishing for one for my bithday/Christmas, but my mom just walked into Best Buy and they happened to have one. It's not like the stores are going to put out huge signs that say, HEY WE GOT A PS3 IN!!, and sometimes people just don't ask because they assume there is no chance.

okay, this is ridiculous. these people arn't gamers at all. they see that ps3 as a way to make some easy money. what has the videogame industry done to itself?

gone are the days of staying up all night for a system and playing the whole of the next day. now, for the most part, they are just a cash in. *Sigh*

i guess i'm just a videogame hopeless romantic.