Sony PS3

Bigfoot

How about the fact that they're titles that were already fully developed and that it shouldn't take more than a week of tweaking and the time needed to recompile, to get a product that would look exactly the same?

That there's actually texture differences, means that they had to actually rebuild the entire resource base for textures, to get it on the PS3, and often had to tone them down to do so. Image formats aren't system exclusive, and that's all a texture is.

How about the fact that they're titles that were already fully developed and that it shouldn't take more than a week of tweaking and the time needed to recompile, to get a product that would look exactly the same?

That there's actually texture differences, means that they had to actually rebuild the entire resource base for textures, to get it on the PS3, and often had to tone them down to do so. Image formats aren't system exclusive, and that's all a texture is.

Like everyone else is saying, a quick port/launch title will look a lot worse than a game designed from the ground up for the PS3 with a year or so of programming experience by developers. Lauch titles rarely show off the system's full power.

The Ps3's hardware is actually quite different than the 360's though, so it's definitively harder for developers to take full advantage of it than the more standard designed 360. Even if they were more similar, there is no way a week is enough time to port a game efficiently over to a new console.

Anyways, most of the criticisms of the images were just small nitpicks ("zomg not enuff of teh bloom!"). Judging games by screenshots is also a thing of the past, I bet if you saw them playing side by side you'd be harder pressed to judge the 'superior' version.

The Ps3's hardware is actually quite different than the 360's though, so it's definitively harder for developers to take full advantage of it than the more standard designed 360. Even if they were more similar, there is no way a week is enough time to port a game efficiently over to a new console.

Anyways, most of the criticisms of the images were just small nitpicks ("zomg not enuff of teh bloom!"). Judging games by screenshots is also a thing of the past, I bet if you saw them playing side by side you'd be harder pressed to judge the 'superior' version.

Actually, to me, it looks like the PS3 can only do bloom and not full-on HDR lighting effects.

I'm hoping that's not the case, and usually you need to see a game in action in person, or at least see a video of it, to know for sure.

Or, at the worst case, let it be a matter of HDR OR AA, like it seems to be with Wii, or nVidia 7x line of cards.

But, for a port, these are fairly standard graphics effects that are missing. For the most part, they're literally just switches that are put in for the graphics engine at compile time. Cutting the draw distance, to show less objects in the rear view mirror of Carbon? Having distinctly lower quality textures in most of the ports? The only reason to lower the texture size, is to make up for a sluggish GPU.

But, yes. I'd like to see what the PS3 can manage for side-by-side developed ports, in a year. At the least, it should have some decent PS2 emulators for it, by then.

how about the two launch titles compared. Both fightnights were made for the launch. so.... what does that mean?

nothing, except they look really close but one has a new view and one hasn't got rumble.

once/if they get into the raw power of cell processor then, they ps3 will take off b3yond the 360.

i guess that point is, that contrary to the assumption that the xbox360 has or is going to hit the celing of its power before the ps3 could be wrong. it might take years for the programmer to open pandora's box and by then we might be looking to the future of new systems.

who knows?

Either way, I'm just looking forward to the next gen of systems.

The generation when integrated HDDs are standard, HD is a given, wireless, motion-sensitive controllers are default, it's a seamless transition between offline and online, and it's once again brought to the point of being, "Who can innovate, and is it really needed anymore?" rather than all these gimmicks, which is quite honestly what both Nintendo and Sony are relying on.

Sony's all about the BluRay, Nintendo's all about the Wiimote. Which one is superior for my uses? The wiimote. I have a PC I use for all my other multimedia needs. I don't even own my own TV, because I just use my computer monitor as needed. Do I think games will need so much bloody storage? Not for quite awhile. Will it become a limiting factor? Not so long as they don't need to put lots of pre-rendered CG on the disc to suck up room.

Eh, if you own a PS3, you probably own a PS2 anyway.

The thing is, I have a PS2 and if I got a PS3 I would love the convenience of playing all my PS1 and PS2 stuff on there. I would hate to have to use my PS2 for it just because it looks really bad in comparison (but I would).

Eh, if you own a PS3, you probably own a PS2 anyway.

Still, I remember seeing the PS3 display and it bragging about it's backwards compatibility. If this is truly what it does, then that is nothing to brag about.

Well, I was thinking of getting a Japanese PS3 so that's a Japanese PS2 right there which is pretty cool since I have a lot of Japanese games.

PS3 will suck in the end. Why? because I, as a gamer, does not see how people should pay a high price for a game system. WTF?!? If I had the money, I'll buy me a 360 and a Wii instead (since you could get those two for the same price). But I see Sony, as a company is all about a few things: making money, rippin' folks off, and stealing ideas.

In other terms, if I had a PS3, I'll trade it in and get the Wii and a shitload of Wii games.

PS3 will suck in the end. Why? because I, as a gamer, does not see how people should pay a high price for a game system. WTF?!? If I had the money, I'll buy me a 360 and a Wii instead (since you could get those two for the same price). But I see Sony, as a company is all about a few things: making money, rippin' folks off, and stealing ideas.

In other terms, if I had a PS3, I'll trade it in and get the Wii and a shitload of Wii games.

are you over the age limit to sign up for these forums?

Do you know what I think will suck in the end?

YOU!!!!!

:tomatoface:

Though I do not plan on buying PS3 anytime soon, and plan to do what you do, this IS a ps3 thread. Not a Nintendo Wii and X-Box 360 Thread, or a "i'll name a system I like better than that of the title" thread. It's a PS3 thread.

I can't wait to get my PS3. Once I get that bad boy out of its box, I'm gonna flip it on its back and attack its weak point for massive damage.

Then I'll probably switch it out, in real time mind you, with a not-so-crappy system, like a Wii.

I can't wait to get my PS3. Once I get that bad boy out of its box, I'm gonna flip it on its back and attack its weak point for massive damage.

Then I'll probably switch it out, in real time mind you, with a not-so-crappy system, like a Wii.

He likes Kalmah, the power metal band, so I'm going to have to go with yes.

He likes Kalmah, the power metal band, so I'm going to have to go with yes.

:?: