Sony PS3

Bigfoot

this topic has seemingly been invaded by some sorta of juvenile thought-processes. i was just at a gamestop today, and they had Klonoa 2 on the Ps3. i even said to one of my party members (heh.) "i wouldn't be displaying this for the ps3" that vid is true. the jags are to the max on the BC. while it seems the other systems clear up the old games. the ps3 seems to bring out those jags right into the spotlight. almost to the point where it is harder to read or follow whats going on in the game. yes, it is that bad.

sony needs to act on this. the ps3 seems to be sonys last defense on the videogame market. seeing how the nintendo ds is trouncing the psp in sales. get on the ball sony! you still can retain the crown of being the leader.

I can't wait to get my PS3. Once I get that bad boy out of its box, I'm gonna flip it on its back and attack its weak point for massive damage.

Then I'll probably switch it out, in real time mind you, with a not-so-crappy system, like a Wii.

are you over the age limit to sign up for these forums?

He likes Kalmah, the power metal band, so I'm going to have to go with yes.

:?:

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=702

Well, I was thinking of getting a Japanese PS3 so that's a Japanese PS2 right there which is pretty cool since I have a lot of Japanese games.

I haven't heard about this for a while, but I remember previously hearing the PS3 was supposed to be region-free. Did it not turn out to be?

So off topic a bit...Who here is really worried for the future of the Playstation. The way its going right now I don't see how it even has a shot at the market.

The Wii is taking the market by storm, the 360 already has had its year run. I am just partially worried for the Playstations future, because i think it's been very healthy to have them in the market.

Here's in the hope that the Playstation scrapes by this generation.

Okay, latest numbers according to Wikipedia (again, the only VG related source I can consult from work).

Wii:

Units sold

Worldwide: 1 million+ as of December 7, 2006[3]

United States: 476,000 as of December 1, 2006[4]

Japan: 372,000 as of December 5, 2006[5]

Europe: 325,000 as of December 13, 2006[6]

Australia 32,901 as of December 10, 2006 [7]

Xbox 360

Units sold

Worldwide: 6 million[1] (as of September 30, 2006)

United States: 3.8 million[2] (as of December 7, 2006)

Japan: Less than 180,000[3] (as of December 11, 2006)

PS3:

Units sold

Worldwide: 384,836 (as of December 3, 2006)

North America: 197,000[4] (as of the end of November 2006)

Japan: 187,836[5] (as of December 3, 2006)

With the 360 though, I have doubts concerning their 6 million figure. It does seem however, that the PS3 is trailing in that launch. Heck, if the Wii keeps up selling this fast (1 million in 1 month) it is possible that it reaches 12 million by this date next year.

The PS3, at this pace would be at 700 000 and the 360 would be at 12 milion as well.

Assuming, of course, that all consoles keep selling at the same pace. Obviously, there will be an increased production of the PS3. If they don't pick up production, the PS3 will be in serious trouble.

PS3 production is going to be low for a while since they have to deal with the European launch too, and getting enough PS3s produced for Japan and the US. What I find odd though is that quite a bunch of PS3 auctions lately have been ending at <$750 for the 60 GB PS3. It's actually more profitable to sell a Wii on ebay than a PS3. Maybe that means that we'll see a price drop even quicker than Sony may want.

Sony says they're on track again with achieving their goal of shipping 2million by the end of this year. They say they've resolved their manufacturing problem.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061214/tc_nm/sony_dc

They do know the year ends on december 31st, right?

Haha, yeah, I was wondering if they knew that too. Maybe they mean fiscal year.

Okay, latest numbers according to Wikipedia (again, the only VG related source I can consult from work).

Wii:

Units sold

Worldwide: 1 million+ as of December 7, 2006[3]

United States: 476,000 as of December 1, 2006[4]

Japan: 372,000 as of December 5, 2006[5]

Europe: 325,000 as of December 13, 2006[6]

Australia 32,901 as of December 10, 2006 [7]

Xbox 360

Units sold

Worldwide: 6 million[1] (as of Sep

\tember 30, 2006)

United States: 3.8 million[2] (as of December 7, 2006)

Japan: Less than 180,000[3] (as of December 11, 2006)

PS3:

Units sold

Worldwide: 384,836 (as of December 3, 2006)

North America: 197,000[4] (as of the end of November 2006)

Japan: 187,836[5] (as of December 3, 2006)

With the 360 though, I have doubts concerning their 6 million figure. It does seem however, that the PS3 is trailing in that launch. Heck, if the Wii keeps up selling this fast (1 million in 1 month) it is possible that it reaches 12 million by this date next year.

The PS3, at this pace would be at 700 000 and the 360 would be at 12 milion as well.

Assuming, of course, that all consoles keep selling at the same pace. Obviously, there will be an increased production of the PS3. If they don't pick up production, the PS3 will be in serious trouble.

So both the Wii and PS3 have already sold more than the xbox 360 in japan?

Thats quite :lol:

PS3 production is going to be low for a while since they have to deal with the European launch too, and getting enough PS3s produced for Japan and the US. What I find odd though is that quite a bunch of PS3 auctions lately have been ending at <$750 for the 60 GB PS3. It's actually more profitable to sell a Wii on ebay than a PS3. Maybe that means that we'll see a price drop even quicker than Sony may want.

Well, it even looks like the European launch might be pushed from March to September.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=151602?cid=otc-rss&attr=cvg-general-rss&skip=yes

Well, it even looks like the European launch might be pushed from March to September.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=151602?cid=otc-rss&attr=cvg-general-rss&skip=yes

Oh wow... why do the console companies hate Europe so much?

Seriously, I mean it's like "OK, OK..3 months to go..not TOO bad I guess...WTH, now I gotta wait NINE months?!"

Something about games having their own friend list and the xfire thing doesn't work when you are in a game. If someone sends you a message to play another game while you are playing Resistance or something, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you quit.

I think that's what one of the main problems was.

Seriously, I mean it's like "OK, OK..3 months to go..not TOO bad I guess...WTH, now I gotta wait NINE months?!"

They just don't get it...

A double post, but I felt this was interesting enough - the PS3 plays those PS1/PS2 games so crappily only if you use HDMI it appears: http://www.gametab.com/news/766514/

Unfortunatley that isn't quite correct, people have had issues using the same component cables they used for their PS2. Using HDMI may just cause more problems with more games than using components.

A double post, but I felt this was interesting enough - the PS3 plays those PS1/PS2 games so crappily only if you use HDMI it appears: http://www.gametab.com/news/766514/

Unfortunatley that isn't quite correct, people have had issues using the same component cables they used for their PS2. Using HDMI may just cause more problems with more games than using components.

I actually read further and saw that they found exactly what was the problem (I was too tired to edit it though, it was 5 am in the morning) - so now all it takes is Sony to acknowledge the problem and put out a firmware update.

I actually read further and saw that they found exactly what was the problem (I was too tired to edit it though, it was 5 am in the morning) - so now all it takes is Sony to acknowledge the problem and put out a firmware update.

Setting up the HDMI was definitely interesting. For one, I about fell over when I saw how much it was. They say because it's still in its early stages it's going to be expesive, yes-- but 80 bucks for a freakin cord...yeesh. Then, I plug it in and try alternating between my component input and the HDMI until I get a signal during the test phase. That took some effort. I basically had to time it right. Ended up turning the console and my tv off numerous times. After all that, I realize the best resolution I'm gonna get is only 720p. It's a good thing Resistance is a sick game, or I might actually be a little peeved.

It's looking like the PS3's scaling issues will require a bit more than just a firmware update. Both for the BC and the other scaling problem.