Sony PS3

Bigfoot

What I meant was that with the way Sony talks about their hardware, pre-rendered cut scenes shouldn't even exist anymore. I guess the sarcasm was a little too light, there.

Hey, remember! You can render Spider-Man 3 in real-time! I say it's time to take Sony to task on their BS.

And in general, the only thing they need pre-rendered scenes for these days, are because they still suck at doing facial expressions in real-time, without making it look like shit.

I guess the sarcasm was a little too light, there.

Actually, I just chose to ignore the sarcasm in an attempt to give my post a little more relevancy to the topic than just the link. :P

And in general, the only thing they need pre-rendered scenes for these days, are because they still suck at doing facial expressions in real-time, without making it look like shit.

Yeah... facial expressions can really make-or-break the immersion factor when it comes to cut scenes. You could be watching a scene and be perfectly fine, but if a single expression is screwed up, it can throw people for a loop. Brings them back into reality and whatnot.

Actually, the 50GB BD is a dual layer disc. A standard-size BD disc is 25 GB per layer.

You're right, I was looking at the wrong section. There's also a experimental disc that has six layers and can hold 200GB, but whether that'll ever become available is doubtfull.

You mean like.. almost every game? Look at any actual, large game, and see how many of the textures get reused. Unless the game itself goes between a half dozen worlds, chances are it reuses 90% of the textures in every level.

Just because a lot of games do it doesn't make it a good thing. I also wasn't just talking about textures, but while we're on that subject, hopefully id's new Megatexture technology will help alleviate that problem somewhat.

Yeah... facial expressions can really make-or-break the immersion factor when it comes to cut scenes. You could be watching a scene and be perfectly fine, but if a single expression is screwed up, it can throw people for a loop. Brings them back into reality and whatnot.

[offtopic]That's actually what killed my interest in FF: Spirits Within. I saw just one scene where the main character was making this ridiculously terrible face, and I thought "nope, not for me."[/offtopic]

It's also the one thing I really dislike about Oblivion. (I hope that was slightly on topic...)

Sony Fixes Backward Compatibility Issues in PS3 Update

It's about time. now I can box up my PS2 and get more space.

EDIT:

Hey, I was wondering about the ps3's controller and if it can possibly hook up to the PC and be used as a controller in PC games? I did try hooking one up, it did recognize the fact that it was a PS3 controller, yet it didn't work as a controller for PC games, is there a certain program I could use to get it to work?

This(is a link) is the only thing I found, but it didn't work for me.

Sony Fixes Backward Compatibility Issues in PS3 Update

It's about time. now I can box up my PS2 and get more space.

Fixing the BC issues is indeed a major mark up point for Sony.

Now if only they'd stop advertising the competition when they try to advertise their own stuff. And maybe have a launch lineup that wasn't done a year ago on the 360.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the club. Recommendations: Buy Resistance: Fall of man and rent Call of Duty... that's about it as far as I'm concerned. We can look forward to Rainbow Six: Vegas and Assassin's Creed in the near future. It's still gonna take a while for this console to bloom, but it will.

Welcome to the club. Recommendations: Buy Resistance: Fall of man and rent Call of Duty... that's about it as far as I'm concerned. We can look forward to Rainbow Six: Vegas and Assassin's Creed in the near future. It's still gonna take a while for this console to bloom, but it will.

Well, I got my PS3 off of ebay - for $647, it comes with the PS3 still sealed (new) & Call of Duty 3 lol

I want to get Resistance, and Virtua Fighter 5, which should I pick first? This $60 price tag on these 360 & PS3 games make me :( .

If you've already got a FPS why not get VF5? I bet the online play would be excellent.

Virtua Fighter5 isn't online is it? I'm pretty sure it's not. It's one of the reasons i want a ps3, but i'm hoping that online play might be added to the 360 version.

Until I either find an arcade stick comparable to this one or find a way to plug mine into a PS3, there will be no point in me purchasing Virtua Fighter 5 (not even for the awesome Rey Mysterio guy). I'm also getting real tired of having to almost completly re-learn my favorite character (Vanessa) after each installment of the series. The changes between VF4 and VF4:E were pretty significant, but after watching a few gameplay trailers she just looks different. Like Ivy SC2/SC3 different. Ugh.

What makes it worse is the only PS3 arcade stick I've found has the two things I hate the most: a ball joystick more suited for playing 1980's arcade games and a crooked button layout. To make matters even worse it's incompatable with PS2 fighting games played on the PS3, making it completly useless for pretty much every other great fighter out.

Oh shit!

PAL PS3s are going to have worse PS2 compatibility than the NTSC PS3s, despite the 4 month delay. - Sony is apparantly removing the EE chips and going the software emulation route.

Source

I was just reading that on Kotaku and wanted to see if people were also freaking out about it here. The other post has 100+ commenters snarling about canceling pre-orders and whatnot. Pretty entertaining in a way. It does really suck that Sony's only saving something like $27 by removing the chips, whereas PS2 owners are going to lose out on at least $50 from not trading in their old consoles. Either that, or they just won't get to play PS2 games anymore, which is almost unthinkable in a way.