Sony PS3

Bigfoot

After watching that UK PS3 commercial I started to think about how a lot of Sony's advertisements are shallow, flawed, and sometimes not even understandable. It also seems that they are a bit arrogant in the way they want to sell their products ("even if the PS3 had no games fans will still buy it because of our loyal fanbase" >_<).

I'll just say screw Sony. Screw. Sony.

After watching that UK PS3 commercial I started to think about how a lot of Sony's advertisements are shallow, flawed, and sometimes not even understandable. It also seems that they are a bit arrogant in the way they want to sell their products ("even if the PS3 had no games fans will still buy it because of our loyal fanbase" >_<).

I'll just say screw Sony. Screw. Sony.

I do believe you belong somewhere around page 5 of this thread.

don't you guys remember nintendos commercials? Multi-Colored Sumos?

Inline Skaters? "get N or get out"? since when did videogame commercials need to make sense?

Sony can do this because people arn't excited about the games. they like this idea that they are a part of this Next level world.

In a society where everyone is trying to find a identity to cling on to, is not strange for a company who prides itself on its following to try an sell an identity? and how are you suppose to sell that, through confusing commercials that really don't make sense. but it makes you want to be in the loop for some reason. and maybe, just maybe, you'll understand the inside joke if you buy a PS3.

remember, commercials are made for the simple people, it gets the name inside thier head and come to mind when it comes to buying.

one of commerical's main reasons is just to get the name inside and keep it there. that's why most car commercials don't sell the car but sell the lifestyle that they connect it with that certain car.

Well...I feel pretty bad about what has been going on with the PS3 lately...Lackluster support, not any good games, won't even play PS1 or PS2 games on there, not too many were shipped out during launch, and last but not least, THE COST!!

It seems like PS3 is probably going to be just like the time when the Sega Saturn came out. I really dunno. The price is obvious: $600+ for a game console is awful, but I'm not sure will PS3 do well overall.

We all know that the Wii is becoming a popular favorite, and 360 is getting more support than it was when that first came out. But with the PS3 in mind, it looks like SONY is beginning to screw up their own marketing just like SEGA did with the Saturn and all of the previous systems (i.e. Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32X).

Eh. I knew as soon as I saw the PS3, the stress on graphics and the 600 dollars, it would be a feast for the eyes but the gameplay would leave much to be desired.

After playing Sonic the Hedgehog, my suspicions were confirmed. It's really unfortunate...

This thread is retarded. How do you know that PS3 has no good games if you haven't played it? Virtua Fighter 5 kicks ass and is a definite great game to play. Motorstorm comes out today too, although I refuse to pick it up yet when I have 26 unfinished games sitting around here.

Also taking into account inflation, the PS3's price isn't the worst offender, as pricey as it is. If I remember right, the SNES cost comparably as much, and the games certainly were more expensive back then when adjusted for inflation.

The backwards compatibility has been fixed with the 1.5 firmware update in Japan and America. In Europe the BC is limited (they claim it's still over 1000 games though, not confirmed) and the price is jacked up to corresponding 792$ approximately.

So yeah, apart from Europe, crystal clear backwards compatibility. And it's still a bluray player. Sony's cheapest Bluray player is currently 600$, so why shouldn't you get a PS3? It is worth the price.

Oh and kidThunder, there's already a thread for this. You haven't stopped making random threads in pretty much 6 months?

Wow.

This thread is retarded. How do you know that PS3 has no good games if you haven't played it? Virtua Fighter 5 kicks ass and is a definite great game to play. Motorstorm comes out today too, although I refuse to pick it up yet when I have 26 unfinished games sitting around here.

Also taking into account inflation, the PS3's price isn't the worst offender, as pricey as it is. If I remember right, the SNES cost comparably as much, and the games certainly were more expensive back then when adjusted for inflation.

True VF5 is a good game, but I'm looking forward to games like MGS4(in which Konami hasn't released it as of yet)...That's what I'm up for. Motorstorm...I never heard of that. But other games on PS3...I don't exactly know for sure if they are appealing to the VG audience.

Red Steel on the Wii is CRAP...but people liked it.

PDZ on 360 was also CRAP...but people liked that as well...

But I was actually saying it looks like PS3 may be on life support as of now, because the system itself isn't getting much support just as the 360 and the wii are.

SNES was $250 and came with two controllers and a game. Let's add $50 to the price of the PS3 and ignore the lack of second controller for the sake of argument.

According to the inflation calculator, the SNES would be $392 today.

So.

650-392 = NOT ZERO

True VF5 is a good game, but I'm looking forward to games like MGS4(in which Konami hasn't released it as of yet)...That's what I'm up for. Motorstorm...I never heard of that. But other games on PS3...I don't exactly know for sure if they are appealing to the VG audience.

Red Steel on the Wii is CRAP...but people liked it.

PDZ on 360 was also CRAP...but people liked that as well...

But I was actually saying it looks like PS3 may be on life support as of now, because the system itself isn't getting much support just as the 360 and the wii are.

Talking about the PS3 and not knowing what Motorstorm is is like discussing slavery without knowing what a black person is. Granted, it's not THAT good, but it's enough for a new IP, like burnout.

Eh, I've played Motorstorm, and I honestly didn't like it as much as Excite Truck. That really all comes down to opinion, though. I mean, the lack of rumble on Motorstorm really killed it for me (I'm being serious, unfortunately), but other than that it seemed like a pretty good game. Looked pretty (as it should).

Shouldn't this thread be locked by now, though?

Sorry Bahamut but that's not true. Adjusted for inflation should be around 320~330 dollars, as PP stated.

I think weverybody's waiting for the big games to come out to make a judgement on how the ps3 will fare(that is, Metal gear anf FFXII). If they don't help the brand, and blu-ray doesn't stays firmly as the new data storage medium, it has a high probability of being just another overpriced and failed console.

However as I said, everyone's waiting for the big games to come out to make a judgement. Good games are coming out already like tekken 5, virtua fighter and motorstorm, but they haven't helped the brand to sell much, at least not at the level the xbox360 and wii are selling now.

1. 3DO, $699, 1993

2. Saturn, $450, 1995

care to share anything else worse than PS3?

Neo-Geo - $649.99

Of course, that came with a game (Magician Lord), two controllers and a memory card.

Which begs the question... what the hell is up with game companies no longer offering pack-in games with systems when they launch (save for the Wii)? $400-$600 is a lot to pay and not get a damn game (and no, demos don't count).

I really do want to own a PS3, but wtf it is expensive. I don't care that it's a blu-ray player and that it is cheap compared to the others, I care that it is a video game system though. I just wish the price wasn't so freaking high.

In the end, PS3 is the most expensive gaming system right now and it pretty much killed my interest because it costs a ton of money.

Anyways, I find it kinda sad that the PS3 is selling lower than the GC was selling in the same time frame in japan. I know bahamut doesn't care about sales, but in the end developers make games for systems that sell well. I wish I was in Japan right now though. The used PS3 there is like 250 dollars.

Well, considering that the biggest barrier to entry in pretty much any market nowadays is price, it's not surprising that the Wii is outselling the PS3 like hotcakes. However, it should be noted that what the PS3 is going through right now is extremely similar to the conditions of the Xbox 360 (which did not sell as well as the PS3 during this period of it's life, by the way). Also, if you took a $400 Xbox 360, spent $100 for a wireless adapter and $120 (I think) for and HD-DVD player, then it would be more expensive then a PS3, and still have less features. So, all in all, I'd say the PS3 is doing just fine.

Neo-Geo - $649.99

Of course, that came with a game (Magician Lord), two controllers and a memory card.

Which begs the question... what the hell is up with game companies no longer offering pack-in games with systems when they launch (save for the Wii)? $400-$600 is a lot to pay and not get a damn game (and no, demos don't count).

Hardware companies used to use killer aps as selling points, but they now have sufficient product differentiation to generally lean on their brand name.

Well, considering that the biggest barrier to entry in pretty much any market nowadays is price, it's not surprising that the Wii is outselling the PS3 like hotcakes. However, it should be noted that what the PS3 is going through right now is extremely similar to the conditions of the Xbox 360 (which did not sell as well as the PS3 during this period of it's life, by the way). Also, if you took a $400 Xbox 360, spent $100 for a wireless adapter and $120 (I think) for and HD-DVD player, then it would be more expensive then a PS3, and still have less features. So, all in all, I'd say the PS3 is doing just fine.

I think you have to factor in how the big named titles for the 360 hasn't even come out and it's comparable to how it's going for the PS3 now when they at least have at least one AAA title in Resistance Fall of Man. Project Gotham and DOA4 were there, but you can only get so many people with a racing and fighting games nowadays.

And I believe the optional add-ons for the 360 is a pretty good deal. Considering the amount of content Xbox Live has, it balanced it out with PS3's thin online support right now. I don't think they'll ever catch up unless they make it a pay service or decide to put a lot more effort (and money) into their online plan.

There is no doubt that both systems are pretty expensive, and naysayers aside, both are selling freakishly well for such expensive consoles.

Hell, I think my baby cousin will get his PS3 anyday now if the system is available on the shelves. I have no idea how people get their money or is willing to spoil their kids. I suppose it's somewhat natural as these consoles are flying off the shelves. The last time I checked, ALL THREE CONSOLES were sold out in the game store I frequent.

Something of note: the Wii doesn't have anything I'd consider "killer app" just yet. Twilight Princess is an A+ game, but it's a retooled Gamecube game. Obviously, a Zelda game built exclusively for the Wii would play and look quite different, I'd imagine. Excite Truck is a blast, but there's not much depth there outside custom soundtracks and multiplayer. Likewise, the myriad of party games out right now are a fantastic way to enjoy the Wii and offer great multiplayer, but there is little room for personal achievement.

To be honest, the Wii is in a similar boat as the PS3 in that both are lacking "killer apps" right now. The difference is that because the Wii is cheaper, people aren't as inclined to make the PS3 investment; I know I'm not.

Metroid, Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy are all slated to be big, beautiful, rewarding experiences, and more artistic games like No More Heros and Sadness will start to carve their own niche. Also, Pokemon. Pokemon is like crack. I should know >_>; Keep in mind, however, that Nintendo's 1st party titles are notoriously delayed. Let us all hope they can buck this trend...

MGS4 and FFXIII are the biggies for PS3 that come to mind. Motorstorm and Tekken 5 are out right now, though, and they're great, deep games. So in that regard, the PS3 might (like last time) begin to hit it's stride before the Wii, with it's biggest first-year games hitting without too many delays.

Those're my thoughts.