Sony PS3

Bigfoot

If Nintendo were working solely on the nostalgia factor, then they wouldn't be too likely to be the top software house. Even in October '06, before the Wii was even launched, Nintendo was #2 for publishers for the month, in the US. Second to EA.

Creativeness/Innovation!= Sales.

I know Nintendo demolishes every other developer with its sales but innovativeness and creativity do not equal sales. Nor does great art direction (Okami much?). If Nintendo slaps their name on something you can expect that it will be quality 90% of the time and this is the recognition that will they will always get over Sony since Nintendo has been around longer and is a much more storied game developer.

When you consider, that's Nintnedo, with 2-3 systems that they're releasing for exclusively(Wii, DS, GBA), compared to EA which releases 2-3 games per month, across every system, that shows they're a lot more powerful than simple nostalgia.

EA isn't exactly the best company to compare them to as EA's ports are a joke. Probably 70% of their revenue is from rehashes of their sports games. E

ither way I never said that having unique games will equal sales and it definitely has hurt sales just as many times as it may have helped and broken out new genres, ideas, or directions for games to go in.

Creativeness/Innovation!= Sales.

I know Nintendo demolishes every other developer with its sales but innovativeness and creativity do not equal sales. Nor does great art direction (Okami much?). If Nintendo slaps their name on something you can expect that it will be quality 90% of the time and this is the recognition that will they will always get over Sony since Nintendo has been around longer and is a much more storied game developer.

Agreed. As much as Nintendo is apt to a few truly great advances in gaming every year, they do a lot of boneheaded/genius stuff such as making franchise spinoffs with no real newness except for newness's sakes and $$$ (read: Mario Party, Pokemon Colosseum games, Mario Sports titles especially the ones not made by Camelot). To be fair, Sony and Microsoft and just about any other given companies (except maybe Bioware and Blizzard..) have the habit of sticking to the status quo in terms of the creative use of their licenses.

Either way I never said that having unique games will equal sales and it definitely has hurt sales just as many times as it may have helped and broken out new genres, ideas, or directions for games to go in.

I don't think I could have said it any better. The thing is, a lot of great Sony titles and Sony developed/published games that were very innovative didn't sell well. But of course, that is not a direct indication of their quality as unique games with innovative features.

Even look at games like Shenmue and other low key, not-as-well selling games of the past, like even the first few Grand Theft Auto games, and come into the future with something like GTA3, which blew away the gaming market in terms of popularity and critical appeal, and all these little obscure games have paved the way for them, no matter how little they may have sold in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched a gameplay video of Enchanted Arms. Looks pretty boring, or just your typical RPG with next gen graphics. The battle system looks interesting though. It uses a grid system where you can move your party around(I guess moving yourself in front of someone protects them from melee attacks?).

I never did care for the sound of your feet stepping as you're running in any RPG since you do so much running around. The sound just gets to you sometimes :P

They could really do away with each character saying something before they attack. Especially when a guy playing his saxophone plays and speaks at the same time. Or when this guy with a spear is going to attack, he yells "I see you!" as if the monster was hiding or something.

edit: I forgot this was on the 360 too, *shrug*.

Ahh yes, paving the way for GTA3. That's a rather sad pinacle, don't you think? The only prop I'll give the game is that they took the go-anywhere do-anything style of open-ended RPGs, and combined it with an easy pick-up-and-play feel. GTA is not a game I'd look at for depth, enduring plot or lasting satisfaction--it is an instant gratification game that's only lasting appeal comes from a few jokes made about the title.

Lair looked pretty cool, but then everything in the gameplay movie I saw was very repetitive.

Fly around, shoot fireballs from a dragon's mouth that sounds like a cannon(even seems like it's autoaim, not sure), land on the ground and kill a bunch of NPC soldiers that look like they probably don't even harm you, and fly back up in the air. Rinse, repeat.

There's a ton of action happening at once though. That was cool. FPS gets pretty bad at times though when you're on the ground and the dragon is breathing fire everywhere.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone here know when or if Sony is ever going to stop putting the Emotion engine in their PS3's, and yes I did read but I couldn't find an answer through the whole 322 pages. Maybe I missed it ? I heard they were dropping support after April but I see no evidence that they actually have yet.

Anyway I ask because I want to buy a PS3 but I care alot about backwards compatiblity. I know the new PS3's are going to use software emulation but there list is really small and I doubt some of my favorite rare and not-so-popular games will ever make the list. So if the PS3 already has or is going to drop the emotion chip before the fall, then I am thinking of buying a an older model which brings me to my next question.

What is the SCPH for the PS3s with the emotion egine? Basically any launch window PS3.

An answer, if possible, is much appreciated.

Can't anyone answer or try to answer my question? Please?

I say you just try to get an early NA launch unit. I think they've already taken the Emotion Engine out of the design for current and future hardware units, though nothing has been really stated so far, for the NA region about it.

I say you just try to get an early NA launch unit. I think they've already taken the Emotion Engine out of the design for current and future hardware units, though nothing has been really stated so far, for the NA region about it.

Thanks man. Thats all I needed to hear

FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS

Hmm, that's just one hundred ninety-nine dollars too much. $300 is pretty much the maximum I'm willing to pay for a video game system. I don't care how cutting edge the tech is; I'm buying the thing to play games on, not to mount on my wall like some tech trophy.

Hmm, that's just one hundred ninety-nine dollars too much. $300 is pretty much the maximum I'm willing to pay for a video game system. I don't care how cutting edge the tech is; I'm buying the thing to play games on, not to mount on my wall like some tech trophy.

Don't you mean 200 bucks too much? $500 is nothing to sneeze at, for a game system. But it's certainly something to shy away from.

Maybe in 6 months we'll see it down to $299 to match the X360. The rate things are going, it'll be interesting at that point.

Tell that to PC gamers! Some people pay that much for their video card.

As for me, I just spend three grand on a biwa, plus I have to pay more than that to move into my new place, so I won't be buying ANY game systems for a while. Looking to sell some in fact. Anyone need a Japanese Xbox and a library of games?

Tell that to PC gamers! Some people pay that much for their video card.

Except that you can use your PC for more than playing games. Yeah, I know, not the greatest comparison, but when you think about it, PCs aren't really the same as a console. The PC, even when it's geared towards gaming, is still a device that is intended for general, multipurpose stuff, whereas consoles (even with their increase in multimedia functions) are intended for playing games.

Having to pay more for a new component to increase performance isn't the same as buying a pre-set, non-upgradeable system.

Except that you can use your PC for more than playing games. Yeah, I know, not the greatest comparison, but when you think about it, PCs aren't really the same as a console. The PC, even when it's geared towards gaming, is still a device that is intended for general, multipurpose stuff, whereas consoles (even with their increase in multimedia functions) are intended for playing games.

Having to pay more for a new component to increase performance isn't the same as buying a pre-set, non-upgradeable system.

But most people have no use for a super expensive video card for non-gaming purposes. Hell, one of my best friends does computer graphics and he says that having the latest and greatest is bullshit even for those purposes.

But most people have no use for a super expensive video card for non-gaming purposes. Hell, one of my best friends does computer graphics and he says that having the latest and greatest is bullshit even for those purposes.

Its not required that have something powerful but it certianly helps out a lot. Maya works much better on high-end video card than it does on a low end or intergrated one. Plus intergrated cards rob your system of ram, which is often very much needing when running programs even as simple as photoshop.

Its not required that have something powerful but it certianly helps out a lot. Maya works much better on high-end video card than it does on a low end or intergrated one. Plus intergrated cards rob your system of ram, which is often very much needing when running programs even as simple as photoshop.

This is someone who has done a bunch of freelancing, including doing computer animated commercials. He has gotten by with his work with not nearly as recent computers as you'd expect (at least parts considered 2-3 years old). I still don't buy that argument.

Edit: As I thought, CAG broke the news on this pricing of the PS3 as usual. Also, you can get 5 free bluray DVDs with the purchase of the PS3.

A vast majority of PC users don't need the latest tech to do their job. The only exceptions lie in the area of top tier film editing, top tier sound composition, a tiny portion of game development, and a few insane photoshop artists. That can't amount to more than a million people.