Sony PS3

Bigfoot

Oh boy. I just don't understand what's going on. Does the emotion engine substantially affect backwards compatibility like people are cracking it up to?

Oh lawd:

I like how he pimped the number of PS2s they've sold, but (as per the norm) didn't mention that a decent percentage of those sold units were replacements of ones that broke due to faulty hardware. Do they really think they're still fooling anyone with those numbers?

Does this mean that the 60 GB models still have the emotion engine and may possibly continue to have it? I never planed on getting the 80GB one anyway so I really hope the 60 GB models still have that backwards compatibility.

BC without the emotion engine is not really that bad at all, especially since the 1.80 firmware update, which upscales and smooths the image it's not brilliant by any means but the sheer number of compatible games on the ps3 is pretty good even without the emo.

Who wants to wear out their Blu-ray drive by playing old crappy ps2 games on Ps3 anyway.

pick up a second hand ps2 for £20 and bob's your father's brother

Did you expect anything less from Sony?

Don't forget, MS does the same thing. With the.. probably close to 2 million returned systems, so far.

Also, funny thing about the sales numbers. They're MONTHS out of date. Wii at less than 3 million, PS3 at less than 1.5, and X360 at only 5.8? 360 has hit official numbers of around 10 million already. You'd think they would try to get the official numbers before trying to post that.

Don't forget, MS does the same thing. With the.. probably close to 2 million returned systems, so far.

Also, funny thing about the sales numbers. They're MONTHS out of date. Wii at less than 3 million, PS3 at less than 1.5, and X360 at only 5.8? 360 has hit official numbers of around 10 million already. You'd think they would try to get the official numbers before trying to post that.

So...is that 1.5 Million units of the PS3 shipped or sold? :<

So...is that 1.5 Million units of the PS3 shipped or sold? :<

I'd say.. probably 1.5 million sold by retailers. Globally. In 8 months.

Except that then, the numbers would still be FAR too low, because Nintendo has easily sold over 7 million(being heavily conservative here) of the Wii. So.. double those numbers, for both Sony and Nintendo, and you probably have a lot closer to the truth.

True, but at least Microsoft acknowledged that there is/was a problem. Sony's just comes across as playing dumb regarding the rather substantial rate of PS2 returns since the system's debut. I mean, where was the increased warranty length when scores of PS2s were being returned burned out and unable to read discs at EB and Gamestop stores all over the US? Instead of helping the customers, Sony left them to fend for themselves (i.e. having to buy a second, third, etc. system), and stuck their fingers in their ears while screaming "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU WE'RE #1!"... and they're still doing it today.

I realize it's hard to expect much more from a company that made the arrogant remarks they did concerning the PSP design flaw, but you'd think they'd catch on. I mean, even Microsoft, with all their cockiness, have learned how to better handle customer complaints surrounding hardware issues.

BC without the emotion engine is not really that bad at all, especially since the 1.80 firmware update, which upscales and smooths the image it's not brilliant by any means but the sheer number of compatible games on the ps3 is pretty good even without the emo.

Who wants to wear out their Blu-ray drive by playing old crappy ps2 games on Ps3 anyway.

pick up a second hand ps2 for £20 and bob's your father's brother

If you had read what I said earlier you would know why I care that the PS3 has the emotion engine.

Anyway I ask because I want to buy a PS3 but I care alot about backwards compatiblity. I know the new PS3's are going to use software emulation but there list is really small and I doubt some of my favorite rare and not-so-popular games will ever make the list. So if the PS3 already has or is going to drop the emotion chip before the fall, then I am thinking of buying a an older model which brings me to my next question.

Excuse me for playing a lot of great games that didn't sell millions and millions of copies. Also Sony has already stated they weren't focusing on updating the backwards compatible list because they wanted to focus on new games.

Also PS2 has one of the best libaries of games out right now and it most definately has games that are much better than anything the PS3 has out right now.

Well, a $500 blu-ray player AND game console, which you can get 5 free blu-ray movies with as a promotion, really isn't that bad a deal nowadays. (Just eBay the movies to folks who don't know about the promo if you don't like them).

Especially a good deal if the buyer skipped PS2.

The main problem with PS3 right now is a lack of a good library of quality games (and the flood of crappy movies nowadays), excluding backwards compatibility.

Big stuff is promised, and E3 can only bring more promises, but the same goes for Sony's competitors.

Especially a good deal if the buyer skipped PS2.

So, like, four people?

Edit: More seriously, if someone skipped PS2, it wasn't because of a lack of games or money. It was likely because they either don't care at all about video games or they're hardcore anti-Sony. Both reasons why they wouldn't be potential customers for the PS3.

I think both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD need to be set on fire and have their ashes dumped into the oceans, so they'll be further mangled by deep sea pressure. I watch regular DVDs on a 50" plasma TV and I don't see any problems that would warrant purchasing a $500+ piece of equipment and all my movies over again.

So, like, four people?

Edit: More seriously, if someone skipped PS2, it wasn't because of a lack of games or money. It was likely because they either don't care at all about video games or they're hardcore anti-Sony. Both reasons why they wouldn't be potential customers for the PS3.

I think both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD need to be set on fire and have their ashes dumped into the oceans, so they'll be further mangled by deep sea pressure. I watch regular DVDs on a 50" plasma TV and I don't see any problems that would warrant purchasing a $500+ piece of equipment and all my movies over again.

I agree, although they will play standard DVDs, so you don't have to re-purchase them.

But, I've never cared. For now, Blu-Ray and HDDVD are a rich man's commodities.

So, like, four people?

I skipped PS2. Anyone around these forums knows I'm a pretty hardcore gamer. Anti-sony? Think my post you quoted proves I'm not.

So why did I skip PS2? I had a gamecube and a kickass PC during the PS2 era. Had lots of games for both. All of my close friends during that time had PS2s so I had no problem bumming a play if I wanted to. Some of my friends' PS2s broke, one friend had his break multiple times. I want technology I can trust won't break - and from what I've seen and played, the PS3 is very well built.

Also I'm not much of a movie watcher. I didn't buy DVDs (just rented a few) or just watched movies on the big screen, so no loss of investment. But my latest computer monitor works as a 1080p display so why not?

Is this kind of story THAT uncommon?

UNRELATED EDIT: I'm reading a lot of FUD about HDMI. My monitor's HD inputs are 15-pin analog, DVI (compliant with HDCP), and component. Would the PS3 disallow anything due to lack of an HDMI connection?

So, like, four people?

Nah, I just leeched the PS2 off of various friends...although I did pick one up ~1 1/2 years ago (and just before the price drop, go figure).

I dunno, ask dsx.

That was uncalled for man. I am sick of your shit. I haven't said anything about you for close to a month now and all you do is continue to hold on to this. Just shut the hell up already. I can't even afford a PS3 for your information.

About the whole PS2 thing, there is more than just a "few" classics on that system ok. I mostly just want a PS3 with the emotion chip just for convenience. Just so I won't have to be carrying around 2 systems, or have two systems hooked up at once. Convenience! I will probably and up getting a PS3 anyway but I simply would just prefer one with an emotion chip. Is that so wrong. Shit, people just can't seem to have their opinions respected around here.

I had no need for a PS2 until I decided to buy my own DDR pads and go that route. I did have a PS1, but like Drack, I had a sweet PC and with that felt that I only needed one console. Most of my faith was with Nintendo at the time so I invested in a GCN instead of a PS2. This isn't to say I never played it. Also, I do happen to own one now for the above reason I stated and while it still doesn't get as much attention, I agree that nobody would've skipped the PS2 on games or content.