Sony PS3

Bigfoot

Yeah' date=' why [i']did they put Disgaea 3 on the PS3? It looks like a PS2 game.

I got to digging some info and it turns out that Sony paid Nippon Ichi to put it on the PS3. As soon as the contractual obligations run out, it will probably be ported to PS2/Wii/360/PSP.

The camera wasn't really much of an issue in the original, simply because of the right trigger recentering the camera by the character whenever you wanted to recenter it.

It is true though, in Ninja Gaiden Black, they did put an easier mode for those who die too much, and I'm pretty sure it makes a return in Sigma. It looks a bit hefty at $70, but I know I'm going to take the plunge on this game sometime in the next month or so.

Muchas Gracias. I got'd it. I only had to pay 60 for mine... ('only' heh). I haven't gotten to play it yet since ive been extremely busy but it looks pretty awesome from the packaging :).

So I joined the PS3 ranks in this console war although who can blame me for the price I payed. 60GB PS3, barely used, extra controller, and 4 games (Resistance, Call of Duty 3, Oblivion, and Marvel : Ultimate Alliance) All for 400$. A buddy of mine bought it earlier this year, and now he is going off to Iraq and wants a psp, so he gave me a deal. Needless to say, I have been enjoying the SHIT out of it. :)

So I joined the PS3 ranks in this console war although who can blame me for the price I payed. 60GB PS3, barely used, extra controller, and 4 games (Resistance, Call of Duty 3, Oblivion, and Marvel : Ultimate Alliance) All for 400$. A buddy of mine bought it earlier this year, and now he is going off to Iraq and wants a psp, so he gave me a deal. Needless to say, I have been enjoying the SHIT out of it. :)

I envy you - I tried to get a similar deal off of craigslist a few months ago, but the fucker wouldn't except my offer of $600 for it, and wanted $900. The fucker got what was coming to him though when the demand kept dropping and eventually ending up offering it for $600 on craigslist, but still with no takers. That's what he gets for being so greedy and not understanding the market.

That is easily the sweetest deal I've ever heard of.

Hey, after reading the latest bit of Sony heel-eating, I realized something.

Those of you in Australia should be -happy- the PS3 is a grand, a full 50% markup, even after everything is taken into consideration, beyond what it is in the US!

Why? Because those of you foolish enough to actually pay those prices, are the very ones who are showing Sony that they actually COULD sell the machine for a profit(since that's what it's working out to, now), and people would still buy it!

Gee, aren't the aussies so lucky? They actually get to tell Sony, with their pocketbooks, that their customers really are the rabid fanboys who would take a second full-time job and sell their soul to buy a unit, just like they suggested back when the $599USD price was announced!

Hell, I bet the Aussies love buying DRM-laden movies from Sony that won't work on even their legit players(if things are down there for it, as it is up here.. When you have to actually rip a movie from the original DVD in order to watch it, you know someone's drinking their own kool-aid).

I happen to love my PS3, I've gotten a LOT of use out of it. And they are unloading with announced exclusives now. I dont' know what the hell everyone was talking about that it won't have any games that you can't get elseware. Right now it would appear Xbox's whole E3 show was multiplatforms save that famous mediocre shooter.

I happen to love my PS3, I've gotten a LOT of use out of it. And they are unloading with announced exclusives now. I dont' know what the hell everyone was talking about that it won't have any games that you can't get elseware. Right now it would appear Xbox's whole E3 show was multiplatforms save that famous mediocre shooter.

http://www.gamingtarget.com/article.php?artid=7252&pg=1&comments=

List of exclusives, announced and released, across all 3 platforms. PS3 has the fewest.

What's the opposite of a fan boy?

Bitching about the PS3 is clearly "what's in" right now. Hell' date=' it has been since the beginning.[/quote']

There may very well be some people hating on Sony at the moment for that reason. But, I think the complaints here have more to do with past attitudes from Sony, current seemingly wreckless strategies by Sony, and the rather ridiculous asking price for the PS3 (and the 360/Elite on the Microsoft side) that are making people bitch about Sony... not "what's in" attitudes. There are legitimate reasons to level complaints against Sony at the moment, so I highly doubt everyone here bringing things up is simply a Sony hater.

There may very well be some people hating on Sony at the moment for that reason. But, I think the complaints here have more to do with past attitudes from Sony, current seemingly wreckless strategies by Sony, and the rather ridiculous asking price for the PS3 (and the 360/Elite on the Microsoft side) that are making people bitch about Sony... not "what's in" attitudes. There are legitimate reasons to level complaints against Sony at the moment, so I highly doubt everyone here bringing things up is simply a Sony hater.

My latest reason for hating on sony, is because of Blood Diamond. Fucking movie wouldn't run in my DVD player OR on my computer, until I ran it through a ripper to strip it of the DRM. Yes, that's actually the reason why it wouldn't play(3 player programs all said the same thing). Thank god it was just part of my rental queue, so I didn't actually spend money specifically to rent it. :P

Yeah' date=' why [i']did they put Disgaea 3 on the PS3? It looks like a PS2 game.

I actually think the PS1 could handle it. However, it is nice to know that those who pay 800$ or whatever for a PS3 can enjoy cutting edge graphics circa 1997.

I actually think the PS1 could handle it. However, it is nice to know that those who pay 800$ or whatever for a PS3 can enjoy cutting edge graphics circa 1997.

To be fair, I heard those screens were from the PSP version when they were still making it for the PSP. Disgaea, or any of Nippon Ichi's games, was never about pushing the graphical envelope though.

Edit: I've been hearing some more stuff about the PS3 that bears looking into, such as the supposed awesomeness of Super Stardust, and the screens for White Knight Story look gorgeous & intriguing. I can't help but slowly gaining more interest in my large black box.

I guess it bugs me that herein lies a PS3 thread and all anyone wants to do on it is bitch about Sony. Can someone say something positive? I can think of things but every time I say them I get ripped into by Sony haters.

Well, it's to be expected in any thread that's about a given company, system or game. No one can make a thread solely about how much they dislike Sony, MS or the big "N"... or even systems/games in general, be they past or present. They have a tendency to get locked after a short while in Gen Dis/Community (flames usually being the culprit). So, the only place to vent displeasure is in threads like this that are all encompassing.

This type of thing always cycles through page after page of praise, then page after page of slams, and everything in-between. Just try not to let the down slopes get to you.

A friend and I did a little research.

Buying broken PS3s on eBay may be the best way to get it cheap.

Here's some info:

-According to Sony's customer service, The main cause of "No picture" broken PS3s can be non-invasively solved by the customer.

-For PS3s with broken hard drives, you can just stuff any 2.5" drive in - give yourself a 160GB PS3...

-The above are the most common defects.

-If you have a receipt and a barcode, Sony will repair/replace a PS3 for the cost of shipping

-If you don't have a receipt/barcode, Sony will repair/replace for $150 including shipping. This is a worst case scenario.

-Any 20gb or 60gb USA PS3s will have the all-important Emotion Engine.

These are pretty damn cheap on eBay - my roommate next year (a huge cheapskate) is probably going to buy one of these and fix it up, and if it works for under retail price I'll split the cost with him, for a damn cheap PS3.

I'll let you know how it goes.

A friend and I did a little research.

Buying broken PS3s on eBay may be the best way to get it cheap.

Here's some info:

-According to Sony's customer service, The main cause of "No picture" broken PS3s can be non-invasively solved by the customer.

-For PS3s with broken hard drives, you can just stuff any 2.5" drive in - give yourself a 160GB PS3...

-The above are the most common defects.

-If you have a receipt and a barcode, Sony will repair/replace a PS3 for the cost of shipping

-If you don't have a receipt/barcode, Sony will repair/replace for $150 including shipping. This is a worst case scenario.

-Any 20gb or 60gb USA PS3s will have the all-important Emotion Engine.

These are pretty damn cheap on eBay - my roommate next year (a huge cheapskate) is probably going to buy one of these and fix it up, and if it works for under retail price I'll split the cost with him, for a damn cheap PS3.

I'll let you know how it goes.

That sounds great. I'll consider doing the same.

I've been hearing some more stuff about the PS3 that bears looking into, such as the supposed awesomeness of Super Stardust, and the screens for White Knight Story look gorgeous & intriguing. I can't help but slowly gaining more interest in my large black box.

You see the first video of White Knight Story from TGS last year? Holy shit!

You see the first video of White Knight Story from TGS last year? Holy shit!

As a general rule, I try to ignore seeing videos and looking at screens in detail before playing a game (to avoid graphical hype), but that one screen I saw of a turtle carrying a city was just too interesting for me to ignore. It's looking like the PS3 is the Gamecube of the generation so far, some good but overlooked games. I wonder what'll happen once it gets cheap enough...

As a general rule, I try to ignore seeing videos and looking at screens in detail before playing a game (to avoid graphical hype), but that one screen I saw of a turtle carrying a city was just too interesting for me to ignore. It's looking like the PS3 is the Gamecube of the generation so far, some good but overlooked games. I wonder what'll happen once it gets cheap enough...

The way things are sitting right now, it's exactly the Gamecube of this generation. For the most part, the only exclusive games are coming out of Sony, or sony-controlled companies, while both MS and Nintendo are getting loaded down with 3rd party games.

Unfortunately, with Wii being the one in the lead, a lot of the games coming out for it are utter trash, just like they were for PS1. All those games, but only about 1 in 10 of the games were honestly worth paying money to play, and less worth actually owning.

So, look on the bright side: Sony fans will know this generation, what Nintendo fans knew the past 2: first party titles are what sell hardware. Third party titles are largely just low-quality cash-ins, poorly spun sequels, sports games, or licensed garbage. Enjoy the new Dreamcast. :)

So, look on the bright side: Sony fans will know this generation, what Nintendo fans knew the past 2: first party titles are what sell hardware.
How is that a bright side? Man, I'm glad I haven't purchased any of the newer systems.

He's just bitter at how many people used to dismiss Nintendo :-P .
I thought as much. Either you can deliver the games people want at a price they are willing to pay, or you get the hell out of Dodge. Brand recognition and trust is one thing; religious zeal for any gaming company is something else entirely.

I'm curious as to how many people out there are taking the "wait and see" approach like me. Maybe we need a poll question.

He's just bitter at how many people used to dismiss Nintendo :-P .

Pretty much, yeah. Mostly, the games actually worth owning for GC were first/second party titles. They alone made the system worth buying. That it was a relatively low price compared to what else was there, made it a bonus.

That's the one thing Sony doesn't have going for it.. the entry price is just to damn high, even for first party titles. If it's still around in 3 years, and gets down to $249 or so, then everything considered, especially the first-party stuff, it would be worth a purchase.

Edit:

Here's an aside for why I would figure PS3 would be worth it at 249.

Imagine if you only had $1000, right now, to spend on a console, for the entire span of its shelf life. But, you currently don't have any games or systems at all. You can go ahead, have HDTV sets, massive stereo systems, whatever. But no consoles, no handhelds, and no games.

Now, let's say you can only look at what's currently available, or has been officially announced, at this point, for sale by the end of next year.

And, you can only buy the goods new. If you can get them brand new for really cheap, such as through clearance sales or on eBay, then it still counts as buying it new.

What systems would you be willing to invest that $1000(each) in? You won't have any access to anything past the end of next year, so if any games you want are delayed until 2009, it's a write-off and you lose the money allocated to it.

Would you even be considering spending that $500 on a PS3, and only have $500 left to buy games from a selection that is currently, pretty much utterly shit, but with a few real gems coming out in the next year and a half?

Would you go for a Gamecube, at about 100 bucks, and hit up eBay and clearance sales, where you can buy games for $10-$20 each, to flesh out the rest of the grand? Maybe spend more on the hardware, to have access to some new stuff that looks promising, at the cost of a handful of older games?

Personally, I'd probably go for a PS2 if I had that cash, in a lump sum. Buy the PS2, then go hit up for games at $35-50 each.

Why a PS2? Because as I see it, it hits the value mark($1 per hour invested in the system, enjoying the games and gameplay, all-inclusive) at about $750. For 750 bucks, I could get a PS2, memory card, and games enough to last me 750 hours without it becoming tedious to continue playing.

Gamecube doesn't quite have enough games that are long enough, to normally warrant the full-price purchase. I've been lucky, able to buy a bunch of brand new games, for 15 bucks each, since the local Blockbuster is clearing out their Gamecube library. Picked up Killer 7 and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow for 15 each, with a few more I'm interested in.

X360.. well, for what's there right now, it'd be damn close, except for the cost of the online service. That would also have to be factored in, and would end up draining the funds very quickly.

Wii.. It has a lot of promise for great, AAA titles right now. It has games from series I'm actually familiar with and enjoy. It's largely the gamecube support it has, that pushed it over the edge for me, when everything else was nebulous.

PS3, from a value perspective, just doesn't have what it takes. With games starting at 60USD, and a buy-in of 500 bucks, you could get 8 games and a pizza, plus the system. And play it through the included composite cables. You could at least get 14 new games for Wii(50 bucks each) and the hardware, with enough titles available between both Wii and GC to flesh out that selection at full price, and the graphics would still wind up looking the same general quality, since you won't be playing that PS3 in HD, without sacrificing a game to get the cables for it.