Sony PS3

Bigfoot

except whether or not it comes with a dvd player is irrelevant to me when im buying a VIDEO GAME CONSOLE.

Agreed. When I buy a console, I want it because I want to play games. I could give a crap if it plays movies or not. That's what is cool about the 360. It doesn't force the HDDVD player onto the consumer. I have a feeling though they might come out with a new model 360 that has the HDDVD player built in.

HD movies are a turn-off to me anyway. $30 for a movie? Ouch.

I think $30 for a really good, HD feed movies are worth it. I only buy like 3 movies a year so I don't really sink money into them anyway unless they are REALLY worth it.

Jeez, my brother buys like 10 DVDs for that price ($90). $30 is just too much to ask for, and I refuse to buy blu-ray because of them shoveling it onto the PS3.

I don't know what types of DVDs anyone is getting, but they tend to be around $20 for a hefty, fully featured one. Barebone DVDs do not interest me. Likewise to HD-movies, though the high def itself makes it worth it IMO. The only time I don't care at all is with anime since they're only now being animated into high definition transfers.

I would love to own a high definition FF7: Advent Children though, since that is so clearly made in digital high definition.

And personally, the formats' companies aren't too much of an issue if at all. At least for the Bluray/HD-DVD playback, they all reportedly work just fine.

Also, I wonder if Sony 'pushing Bluray' really is a sour point anymore. Because it's one of the few things the console is useful for. But I might as well get a dual Bluray/HD-DVD player sometime down the road. Or give in to a PS3 if Metal Gear Solid 4 and other games' reviews are skyhigh.

I.. Ow.

Heavenly Sword, a game with huge production values, a game that was even advertised with a few seconds of screen time in Heroes.. is a game you can beat in one or two sittings? Your first time through?

What's wrong? Did they sink so much money into trying to hand craft a AAA quality title, that they ran out of money to finish the project?

• 4 weeks later...
So, after the news about the 40GB PS3 came out, this followed:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=173281

Sony ditching backwards compatibility pretty much destroys any chance that I would ever buy a PS3.

Makes sense in a twisted marketing way. Why have the PS3 system play everything, when you can have a PS3 play its games, and keep selling the PS2 while it's still popular? Mo' money mo' money.

Makes sense in a twisted marketing way. Why have the PS3 system play everything, when you can have a PS3 play its games, and keep selling the PS2 while it's still popular? Mo' money mo' money.

But now there are probably less people that want to buy a PS3. They probably wanted to buy a PS3, get rid of their PS2 and enjoy all of their games on one console. Well, they can forget about that idea :P

Looks like if you have an early model PS3, in the future you could probably make some money from it on eBay :P

I kind of agree with this. The PS2 still isn't dead, while the Xbox and the Gamecube are arguably KIA. I was actually thinking of selling my old PS2 and grab a silver slim along with a few games I've been wanting. A PS3 might be in order one day if it comes out with some great stuff later, but for now I'm still happy with the PS2.

Funny that just a few days after ordering a PS3 with the intention of getting rid of the PS2, they announce this.

I got a 60 gig so I technically could, but what I'm even more worried about is whether or not they're going to keep their PS1 emulator supported, regarding some of the PS1 games that don't quite work properly through the PS3's emulator.

I imagine they'll keep PS1 support which is really all I'm concerned about. I mean, they offer PS1 games through the online store don't they?

Considering how Son'ys been lately, apparently I'm a sucker for punishment to buy one of these things. :P Then again, a more mass-market friendly price could be just what they need to start moving some systems, but I'm not sure how successful they'll be making the decisions for the consumer in this case and might have been better off with 2 SKU's. Sony has to realize that $500-600, even if you're willing to pay that much like me or those of us who already own a PS3, is a lot harder to part with at the drop of a hat than $200-400 and the comfort of knowing the guaranteed future of your investment. Me and my bro, when we decided to get the PS3, did months of planning and research and it's not surprising to any of us the PS3 isn't moving very fast when there's such limited reasons to find appeal right now. When we bought our Wii on the other hand we really didn't have to think twice.

-Nick

I'm probably gonna get a ps3 when the 40gig comes out here. The backwards compat thing doesn't really bother me, i have a ps2 already, sure it's on it's death bed, but I don't see me playing ps2 ever again. The 2 USB ports bother me more than the lack of BC.

I will get a PS3 eventually. I think Blu-Ray will beat out HDDVD and as soon as MGS4 hits the shelves, I bet the system will take off. May not be an instant hit but maybe some day.

That's what I've been thinking too. I've been eyeballing the PS3 lately.

So I just got a hold of Heavenly Sword and Folklore today. Played about two hours into each of them. Both games certainly look and sound fantastic. The atmosphere in Folklore is so original and refreshing, it's just the type of game I was waiting for on my PS3.

I've been keeping an eye on Folklore lately. Why is it that a couple publications like IGN give it a 90% and say it's a game that really delivers a whole lot of awesome while others give it 60-70% and just bash it? It's boggling my mind and it's probably the most drastic cases of separateness among reviewers I've ever had the eyes to see.

Besides look and sound, is it worth getting for story and gameplay?