Sony PS3

Bigfoot

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7422&Itemid=61

Edge: A while ago you said that you thought Sony should do a 'do-over' with PS3. Do you still think that?

GN: Absolutely. I think [PS3 is] a waste of everybody’s time. Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits. There’s nothing there that you’re going to apply to anything else. You’re not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they’ve created. I don’t think they’re going to make money off their box. I don’t think it’s a good solution.

:)!!

Who really listens to that Steam guy nowadays? He's just creating one big sales pitch for Valve and reiterating how software engineers say the PS3 is the hardest to program out of the three consoles. As if others didn't say that a few hundred times before. And when he was confronted with the 360-bashing he did before, he just went into a technophile filibuster by going totally off the topic.

Who really listens to that Steam guy nowadays? He's just creating one big sales pitch for Valve and reiterating how software engineers say the PS3 is the hardest to program out of the three consoles. As if others didn't say that a few hundred times before. And when he was confronted with the 360-bashing he did before, he just went into a technophile filibuster by going totally off the topic.

all the more it made me go :)!! and :lol:

Although the more bullshit I'm hearing and seeing about the PS3 (loss of backwards compatibility especially) the more I'm beginning to believe it's truly a waste of time. Thank goodness some of the games I want that suppose to come out of it will be ported :)!!

I think they ought to push the PS3 as a future gaming system with the downloadable PS1 oldies (like Wii, like 360. Microsoft had the model working years ago) instead of pushing the backward compatibility all the time. Too many systems are having trouble because companies feel pushed to be backward compatible. Ultimately they really don't determine new purchases. At all.

Also, downloadable PS1 games are possibly the biggest gaming goldmine ever. I love Nintendo's own oldies library, but many PS1 games are almost legendary and untouchable because of how some classics are too rare to get now. It's the silly backward compatibility BS that companies should stop caring about. Stretched screens in HDTV, memory problems, frame rate problems, all bullshit.

I think they ought to push the PS3 as a future gaming system

But it's not, its a multimedia system with the added bonus of playing games that use blue-ray technology.

:<

Don't get me wrong, I actually like my ps2 and its games just as I enjoy some titles from M$ Corp and Nintendo/Sega etcetera.

I also look forward to playing titles that will eventually come out for the PS3, yet unlike the time where I wanted to continue playing some NES games while wanting the SNES, there aren't currently anything worth spending the ludicrous amount of cash sony wants for their product.

What Sony should have done is found a way to have kept the PS3 between the current prices of the 360 & Wii, and developed software/games in advance to be the forerunners of possibly very awesome titles to come.

In regards to Backwards Compatibility, it very well would have been fine to have left it out of the PS3 had the system had anything incredible enough to want to move on from PS2 tech. As it stands now, it does not and it currently is a depressing system even without comparing to other consoles or to the gaming enthusiast variety of PCs...

I know you're being sarcastic but whatever. It's ironic that a next gen game system is pushing so much on oldschool connectivity that's all. I could make the same argument for all the current generation systems. Downloadables are fine. Backward compatibility with old games filling up the sole disc slot? That is just silly.

Downloadables are fine. Backward compatibility with old games filling up the sole disc slot? That is just silly.

I agree that downloadable old titles (even if a fee is involved) would be fair enough to drop the BC from the PS3 if it was cheaper as well as the option of exchanging the hard drives.

however

I honestly don't see what's so silly about an old title taking up the only disc slot as I doubt one would be playing a psone game and a PS3 game at the same time.

Just takes less than a minute ti switch discs...

Instead of filling up the provided hard drive with old titles why not simply have the option to play legal copies of psone/ps2 titles..?

Jack Tretton explains why they dropped BC. So basically, they want to encourage people to buy PS3 games instead of PS2 games.

They've got step 1 down, now all they need now are must-have games. Give them time, it's only almost been a year. :\

http://kotaku.com/gaming/spin/jack-tretton-says-dropping-bc-wasnt-for-cost-measures-312628.php

I guess when the most compelling feature of a system sold at such a heavy loss is the purchase of old games, it doesn't do so well for convincing people to buy the new stuff, nor is it very good from a profit standpoint when the games with huge budgets are being usurped by last gen games, in two ways.

I agree that downloadable old titles (even if a fee is involved) would be fair enough to drop the BC from the PS3 if it was cheaper as well as the option of exchanging the hard drives.

No, no. Cheaper or not, that's not the point. Backward cataloges are a nigh distraction and nuisances that only the most hardcore stuck up gamers may even give a cent about when it comes down to BUYING decisions. It'd be nice to get good backward compatibility, but is it a selling point? NO. No it is not. You buy new consoles to get new games. It's that simple.

I honestly don't see what's so silly about an old title taking up the only disc slot as I doubt one would be playing a psone game and a PS3 game at the same time.

Maybe people should have prudence to just keep older systems and play older games on those with their dingy old analog TVs. I do that too. All the time. I have a dozen systems hooked up in various configurations and I don't even consider myself all that hardcore a gamer compared to some others I've seen. I love roms and emulations and etc etc, but if you want to play Genesis games, get a Genesis out.

Really, who else really whines about all this other than those who trade in systems all the time? I could play dozens of my Xbox games on the 360. I never do it because these systems aren't supposed to expand and stretch analog TV games to an HDTV. Try playing NES systems on an HDTV and experience a huge headache. NOT compatible.

No, no. Cheaper or not, that's not the point. Backward cataloges are a nigh distraction and nuisances that only the most hardcore stuck up gamers may even give a cent about when it comes down to BUYING decisions. It'd be nice to get good backward compatibility, but is it a selling point? NO. No it is not. You buy new consoles to get new games. It's that simple.

But aren't "only the most hardcore" buying PS3s? The general public has no idea the PS3 exists with all the Wii and 360 shit going on.

Being able to watch SDTV is a nigh distraction and nuisance that only the most hardcore TV viewers may even give a cent about when it comes down to BUYING decisions. It'd be nice to be able to watch SDTV on my new 72" plasma, but is it a selling point? NO!

That's how silly you sound, Injin. It's like people who go out and buy an HD-DVD or BluRay player to replace their existing DVD player. They might have a catalog of hundreds of DVD movies and want to watch them with the upscaling features and whatnot that the new players have. But, hey, they're HD players! They shouldn't even bother being able to play oldskool DVDs!

Being able to watch SDTV is a nigh distraction and nuisance that only the most hardcore TV viewers may even give a cent about when it comes down to BUYING decisions. It'd be nice to be able to watch SDTV on my new 72" plasma, but is it a selling point? NO!

A stretched out standard definition television program isn't more than a nuisance. A stretched out, pixelated, blurry shit with lousily 'backward compatible' gaming efforts? Why bother? That is not the selling point of new systems. Most people (read just about every gaming poll ever) KEEP their consoles and get new ones to get new games for their NEW system. New, new new new new. Older games? Play older systems.

Injin. It's like people who go out and buy an HD-DVD or BluRay player to replace their existing DVD player. They might have a catalog of hundreds of DVD movies and want to watch them with the upscaling features and whatnot that the new players have. But, hey, they're HD players! They shouldn't even bother being able to play oldskool DVDs!

No they do not. People do NOT replace DVD players, people do NOT replace their entire setup if they know it's going to jeopardize the integrity of their current experience. Specifically for Bluray and HDDVD players, they're so perfectly tuned to play old DVDs. Game systems are not. An HDTV may as well blow up trying to run Atari games.

In terms of oldschool games, they are MADE to be played with standard definition. They aren't meant to be stretched, corrupted and basically bullshitted into HDTVs where they do not belong. It may work with a select few PS2, Xbox and Gamecube games that have a preset widescreen option, but for the 99.999% of the games? They belong in the old boobtube. This is really not up for argument. Just about any gaming purist won't say otherwise.

But aren't "only the most hardcore" buying PS3s? The general public has no idea the PS3 exists with all the Wii and 360 shit going on.

I think you're right on that one. I really think the whole backward compatibility issue is too blown up. Casual gamers may as not care and the hardcore types know that it's a compromised experience.

This may sound like a ridiculous case for downloadable games, but I think the whole promise of a truly screen-fitted, high definition, widescreen formatted games are a real selling point with downloadable games. I don't know when I started taking notice, but it's somewhat hard not to with all the problematic backward compatibility. PS2 had it perfect because at least it stayed in the standard definition with the same exact hardware catered for PSOne games. The Wii as well, does backward emulation well.

I'd like to also mention some real good titles have been coming out for the PS2, though not as noticed as say the huge titles (halo3/SMG/TF2) but still much better than the lackluster PS3...

Although the upcoming Rachet & Clank game may change that, I have doubts for it will go further till the bigger names come up; MGS/RE5/SH5/DMC4...

I really would love to see some incredible titles that would want me to buy a PS3 but as of now it's just not happening... Makes me want Sony to simply make a do-over on the PS systems...

Something odd appears to be happening in the Christmas build-up, the Media aren't being as negative about the PS3 as it is now perceived to be a better deal than the XBox 360, especially with Ratchet and Clank + Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Haze coming out, just to name a few of the big games coming out.

Something odd appears to be happening in the Christmas build-up, the Media aren't being as negative about the PS3 as it is now perceived to be a better deal than the XBox 360, especially with Ratchet and Clank + Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Haze coming out, just to name a few of the big games coming out.

Sony is paying them big bucks.

Nah, I'm kidding.

This is the most bullshit statement I've read this week.

Announcing that your position is correct and that it's not even up for argument for the win!

I specifically mentioned the technical feasibility of backward compatibility with games in an HDTV with a modern system. Way to read it totally wrong.

Also, I highly, highly doubt that backward compatibility is a SELLING point. Is it a sticking point? Yes. Did it create an unnecessary shitstorm? Yes. But do people really buy entire game consoles on backward compatibility? I'd have to laugh at that notion.