Sony PS3

Bigfoot

I love how this thread degenerated into "OK i got a ps3 now what?" but seriously folks I have an actual question pertaining to PS3 save files. I want to visit my brother tomorrow and bring along my heavenly sword file and i have a memory stick duo and a psp (if that helps). I was wondering if you can transfer them that way? Since there's no ps3 memory card how does that work? Can you never transfer saves to your buddy's ps3?

Do you have a memory card reader built into your PS3? (60 or 80GB models)

If you do, you should be able to transfer the saves by going into the Saved Data utility, highlighting the game's save, and hitting Triangle. You'll need to put your memory stick in the card reader prior to hitting triangle.

That is, unless the developers put a copy lock on the save file, in which case you would be SOL, but I don't know which games do that, if any.

So there isn't a proprietary memory card unit, but you can use SD/MS/CF cards as makeshift cards.

Since you have a MSDuo, you might need the MSDuo to MS adapter. I think that the PS3 only takes the longer size, but I'm not sure, since I don't use memory sticks (I have more than enough SD cards)

I would think that the memory stick reader supports all of them, since it is Sony's technology (memory sticks).

Memory Stick Duo is a slightly shorter form factor than Memory Stick. A reader that is sized for a Memory Stick Duo can also read standard Memory Sticks, but not the other way around. They are electrically compatible, but not the same form factor, which means to read a Memory Stick Duo in a reader sized for a standard (read: longer) Memory Stick requires an adapter.

The 60gb and 80gb models support PRO Duo. That'd be kind of silly if it didn't.

Thank you. I don't have Memory Sticks (I only use SD cards, since that's all I need), and I knew there was a memory stick port on my PS3, but not which form factor (Short Memory Stick Duo, or longer, original Memory Stick) it takes. From my understanding, all the memory sticks are electrically compatible with each other to some degree (i.e. you can use a non pro memory stick in a pro device), but not form factor-wise (i.e. different physical sizes. IIRC, the Duo memory sticks are 2/3s the length of the original memory stick, requiring an adapter if your device only accepts the longer size.)

Mea Culpa: I checked the PS3 manual, and you can insert the shorter memory sticks sans adapter. Edited for correctness here

I finally beat Heavenly Sword today, the end boss is such an annoying bastard. I figured out the save file thing, you can copy savegames onto memory stick pro duo's (if you have the slot, another reason i'm glad i got the 60gig). Thanks for all the responses.

Did anyone download the new Uncharted trailer? Holy shit it's looking sweet! DEMO for uncharted comes out on the 8th for anyone interested,

sorry for the double-posting.

The new update was today, PSN 2.0 anyone? They added a news ticker in the top right of the XMB and they gave the playstation store it's own section on the XMB. Also the Uncharted demo was released today. The store has been broken for most of tthe day, but it's working now (for me at least.) Impressions to follow..

I'm downloading Uncharted too. The Firmware 2.0 update is cool, not nearly as cool as I was hoping though ... i mean, everyone was expecting in-game XMB ... really, the only thing I REALLY REALLY want is custom in-game music. That feature revives life into a lot of titles that I don't play on my original Xbox; surely it would provide the same for titles on the PS3.

I really like the features they added though. All the remote functionality is pretty cool... and I'm digging the new chatroom functionality and the themes. There's a few available on the PSN Store.

I didn't think I would appreciate the folder options for Games and Videos, but now everything is much more organized. I don't have to scroll through a zillion games to get to what I want. I think I like this feature the best of everything they added.

....but man is it still annoying to have to turn off the PS3 to answer messages from my friends. I wish they'd do something about that.

Good update though. Definitely good stuff to have.

The Uncharted demo was pretty sweet. The graphics are impressive and the voice acting seemed really good from what little was shown. It plays a lot like Gears of War meets Tomb Raider. There aren't any puzzles in the demo so I'm a little curious if there are any. The gun play feels pretty solid. I find myself hitting the cover button trying to stick to a surface but then clinging to an altogether different surface facing the wrong way but i had the same problem in Gears.

EDIT: My favorite part of the whole demo is at the end of the opening cutscene when he's like "Oh Shit!" because prior to that he had said crap like 4 times and i was wondering if they were using that to kind of get a lower rating (e10)? but then he said shit and it made my day.

After playing Uncharted, I'm totally impressed. The game reminds me a lot of Tomb Raider and Gears of War, too!!

The platforming reminded me a lot of Ico, too. It's really nice to see enemies reacting to my blind fire by flailing their arms in panic and taking cover.

And the intro video was really good. The game actually has funny dialogue!! And... without saying, the graphics looks incredible!! I found myself marvelling at the guy's hair in particular. lol. And how he would get soaking wet when you put him under the waterfall and stuff. Real cool stuff.

I was not expecting this game to be as fun/good as it is. I may actually have to buy it now!! lol.

Too bad their latest PSP commercial blows all ass and makes me want to punch the creator of it in the face :-x

That it does. It's one of those WTF were you smoking when you cooked that up type moments, but I suppose it's a step up from the borderline racist commercials they used to run, comparing mexicans to clumps of dirt and black people to squirells. Come to think of it, they had to come up with something that'd make the WASPs look stupid, just to balance the karmic scales.

The update to the Playstation Network is completely meaningless to me until it allows me to register with an APO address. I emailed Sony's support staff and got a reply that basically said "We'll get around to it. Sorry." I have never seen a company so damned lazy in my life(well XBox 360 has the same problem, so Microsoft ties). All they have to do is add AP, AE, etc to the options for state and they gain hundreds or even thousands of subscriptions from military members overseas.

I guess Sony still hasn't learned from their PS2 debacle when it comes to customer service.

I had heard they were better than Microsoft, but it doesn't sound like it. Though in the last 6 months Microsoft customer service has jumped up in quality (they speak English now).

It's funny, because there's a Sony apologist in there, trying to use the excuse that the X360's 30% fail rate should STILL be harked on, even though MS admitted the problem and has been going out of their way to actually replace all the affected consoles as they come in, free of charge.

But, every time an incident like this with MS does come up, it DOES get reported and pointed out. The RROD is a common event now and every given occurrence doesn't need to be brought up.

This is what really separates the three console makers. Not specs, not games, but how they treat their customers. The very people that let these companies exist in the first place.

Nintendo offers the most consumer-friendly customer service. If you get a ba system, they will repair it or replace it, and that's if you actually have a problem in the first place. Honestly, how many times have you had a Nintendo system (From NES to Wii, Gameboy to DS) die on you? And if you do, they will do it for free.

Hell, you can get replacement games from them in most instances. My Wii Sports disc was scratched up a bit from the cheap packaging, and they sent me a new one when I told them about it.

Microsoft, thankfully, has acknowledged the issues with their console. They don't try to bullshit anyone about it anymore. If there's a problem, you have options. Most of them are reasonable and effective. You can get it fixed under warranty. The unusually high failure rate is being addressed and fixed.

Sony... Sony blames you for their known hardware trouble and charges you extra to get them fixed, even though it's under their warranty.

If this sort of thing carries on, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a class-action lawsuit over it.

• 4 weeks later...