Sony PS3

Bigfoot

"Pre-Sell Program

Beginning April 2008, consumers that pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will receive the Metal Gear Saga 2.0 DVD, containing a Prologue that recaps the Metal Gear franchise, a 20th Anniversary retrospective, character bios for Big Boss, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and Solid Snake, plus a collection of international trailers of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. This pre-order package also contains an insert with a download code and special instructions for accessing the Metal Gear Online beta test when it goes live in late April. This special pre-order package will only be available while supplies last."

http://kotaku.com/362092/konami-clears-up-mgs4-facts-details-beta-pre+order-program

Now,. I have never played a metal gear game before, but MGS4 looks awesome. Online sounds fun, and a bundle like that might sell a ps3 to me this summer.

Yea you shouldn't play 4 without playing at least metal gear solid 1,2, and 3 which there is a collection coming out I believe.

Edit:http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/view.php?id=3744

No MGS4 PS3 bundle in Europe

Didn't know if Bigfoot's link said anything about it.

• 1 month later...

I got my "metal gear saga volume2" DVD today from Gamestop with the Metal Gear Online Beta code. DVD isn't 16:9 and it's not a bluray unfortunately. Still worth watching though. Who's doing the MGO beta? be sure to add my PSN ID "tragick" could always use more PSN friends.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick question regarding PSN...how much do downloadable games generally cost? I hear PixelJunk Monsters is awesome, and Echochrome is interesting despite some flawed level design.

Also, for those who have a PS3 that does the whole PS2 software emulation thing, have you experienced much trouble with backwards compatibility?

Doesn't the store tell you the price of the game? Average prices? I don't know that.

I have the 60 gig so my games run fine(the 60 gig is the one that doesn't emulate right?).

I had quickly checked the PSN website as well as the wikipedia articles regarding PSN, and didn't see pricing.

The 60gb has the PS2 hardware built in, so 100% of PS2 games would work on it. That's the way I'm kinda leaning, though it seems a lot easier to get ahold of a new 80gb model so I'm just trying to figure out how good/bad the software emulation to see if I should even consider it.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Ended up going with an 80gb. The anticipation of MGS4 got the best of me :P. Looks like I'll be playing MGS4 once the system arrives...

EDIT: Really hate eBay sometimes. The seller of the 80gb copped out after I won and paid for the damn thing, and cancelled the payment. I just said "fuck it" and bought a 40gb cuz it was right there and cheaper. I'm regretting a little bit the loss of backward compatibility, but I still have a PS2 hooked up so whatever I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the demos for both PixelJunk Monsters and Echochrome last night.

Echochrome is really cool...in principle. The controls were just not responsive enough - either you use the analog sticks and the stage would rotate too slowly, or you use motion controls and you don't have the precision necessary. Playing it, I thought, "This is a time where Wiimote pointer functionality would really make this design work." It may just require more patience to get used to their motion control, but that'd be time and frustration I'm unwilling to put into a play mechanic that should otherwise be intuitive.

PixelJunk Monsters is rather simple, and really fun. In essence, you build various types of defensive towers on trees, which cost coins. You unlock further types and can upgrade individual towers using another resource type, which is rarer. Basically, different types of enemies come in waves to your town and it's up to you to build defensive structures to defeat the enemies prior to reaching your town. After playing through the demo, $10 still seems a little steep, but after I'm through MGS4 I'll probably get it.

2.40 Firmware is up.

.... so uh....

... now we just need patches for the custom soundtracks. I wonder if any games will get patches this week.

Thank goodness for the in game XMB.

It's about time.

Although, it is a little weird right now when I push the PSButton and it pops up. Really cool, but i'm just not used to it yet I guess. :)

• 1 month later...
I can get a 30Gb(I think its 30) Ps3 for $300 Is it worth it? I am leaning towards it mostly because of the blu-ray, So how is as a stand alone Blu-ray Player. and other than MGS4 what other games should I consider?

i too am considering this if that is the correct price

i havent been following any ps3 news so i have no idea

I can get a 30Gb(I think its 30) Ps3 for $300 Is it worth it? I am leaning towards it mostly because of the blu-ray, So how is as a stand alone Blu-ray Player. and other than MGS4 what other games should I consider?

Not a bad price. Did a lot of shopping around for mine, and it was $250 before shipping. I think retail is still $400?

Anyway, it works well as a blu-ray player. Never had any trouble. Interesting little quirk about the controller is that it won't automatically shut off after x-minutes of inactivity like the Wiimote or 360 controller, which really makes it nice as a blu-ray player (if the phone rings or whatever, you won't have to wait those extra 3 seconds for the controller to turn on before you can pause). The battery life with the controllers is also quite long, so it's not that big a deal that it doesn't automatically shut off in that regard. I think they also have a remote designed for blu-ray playback (just like they had the dvd remote for the PS2) for added convenience.

Other games to consider...well, the only physical game I own for the PS3 at the moment is MGS4. I'm thinking about getting Uncharted one of these days, otherwise I'm drawing a blank on exclusive stuff currently available. In terms of exclusive downloadable games, Pixeljunk Monsters is great - relatively simple, but so much fun. They had it on sale for $5, but I don't know if it's still at that price. It's also rather nice to have access to some good PS1 games available on PSN, though the selection is pretty limited right now.

At any rate, I'm pretty happy with it primarily as a blu-ray player, as that and MGS4 were my two reasons to get it.

Other games to consider...well, the only physical game I own for the PS3 at the moment is MGS4. I'm thinking about getting Uncharted one of these days, otherwise I'm drawing a blank on exclusive stuff currently available. In terms of exclusive downloadable games, Pixeljunk Monsters is great - relatively simple, but so much fun. They had it on sale for $5, but I don't know if it's still at that price. It's also rather nice to have access to some good PS1 games available on PSN, though the selection is pretty limited right now.

Uncharted, Resistance, Ratchet & Clank, Warhawk, and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue are all great. And there are also all the multi-platform games worth having of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably going to buy a new PS3 either today or tomorrow. I was planning on getting a HDTV first, but I need to go ahead and get the PS3 before they drop SOCOM Confrontation.

I will most likely be playing my ps3 on a regular, 36" Flat-Screen TV with the red, white, and yellow component cables, and I just wanted to know how good are the graphics displayed on a regular TV using those cables?

I'm sure a HDTV would make things look better, but will it really be that big of a difference?

And also, I heard rumors that playing a PS3 on the regular flat-screen could mess up the tv. I don't see how that likely, but has anyone heard or experience something like that?

Siren: New Translation is a downloadable game on the PS3, not sure how much it costs though

Think it's $20 for the whole thing, or you can get sets of 4 episodes for somewhere around $5? That's what it is in £ anyway, and it's usually the same in $, not equivelant value.

Eats up a fair bit of hard drive space though, not surprising given how graphically impressive it is.

I will most likely be playing my ps3 on a regular, 36" Flat-Screen TV with the red, white, and yellow component cables, and I just wanted to know how good are the graphics displayed on a regular TV using those cables?

I'm sure a HDTV would make things look better, but will it really be that big of a difference?

It really tends to depend entirely on the game (or blu ray movie), I have a small, but high quality HD tv and the PS3 wired in with HDMI cable, my friend has a decent sized old tv. I've only noticed a jaw dropping difference for Metal Gear Solid 4 and Ratchet and Clank for games, and as for Blu Ray, I only notice a significant difference with films made AFTER it was widely implemented, like Sweeney Todd.

Stuff like GTA4, the only thing I notice differently is that the map icons etc can be harder to make out, but the overall difference between SD and HD output for them is nothing world changing. I imagine the trend of the big releases being more visually optimised will continue with Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, the PSN Wipeout, etc...

ya text is always smaller on a regular tv which can be kinda annoying

A lot of the PS3 general menu text, particularly the virtual keyboard, has needlessly small/hard to make out text even on a decent size tv.

I also wish you could change the general font colour from white-some of my favourite themes are automatically ruled out because they make everything impossible to read.

Eats up a fair bit of hard drive space though, not surprising given how graphically impressive it is.

While I enjoyed playing the original Siren and Siren 2 (good ole buddy got an imported copy and already modded ps2 at his home :D ) I was rather disappointed on Siren: New Translation. For the most part it's easier than the original.

I understand not wanting to scare away potential players from a good game due to difficulty, but CMON!!!

I still enjoyed it and while graphically impressive, Just felt too easy for me... I'd still recommend it if you haven't played the original Siren game. For those that have, S:NT gives an altered story/perspective.

I still enjoyed it and while graphically impressive, Just felt too easy for me... I'd still recommend it if you haven't played the original Siren game. For those that have, S:NT gives an altered story/perspective.

Yeah, that'd be me. These games passed me by back in the day. This was pretty easy, but had a very good atmosphere. I usually am content with that-not one to complain about difficulty as long as a game's immersive or fun.

The graphics seem particularly impressive for a purely downloadable game, I'd say it's easily the best proper digitally distributed game so far. I exclude the likes of Bionic Commando Rearmed in that though, because they're more made AS downloadable games-I could easily see Siren being on a disc.

I also enjoyed the Ratchet and Clank one, but it wasn't really anything but a pleasant by the book distraction for a few hours.