Sony PS3

Bigfoot

Seriously, all Sony has to do is put part of their PS2 catalog on PSN along with more PS1 games and they could have the masses literally eating at their hands. I don't understand it, because as a consumer I WANT to give them money. I'd GLADLY pay 20 bucks for a game like Rogue Galaxy, Ico or the FF games on PSN, and I already owned those games at one point.

Yea, I was having trouble with the vid too. Here's the specs.

120gig

lighter

$299

smaller

actual buttons

Ps2 compatible

36% less power consumption

fingerprint proof (like ps2)

Other than that, it's exactly the same. It's getting released next month.

I'm almost 100% sure it's not PS2 compatible. I am 100% sure it's still PS1 compatible.

I remember reading on 1up.com one time that Sony put a patent up for Emotion Engine emulation technology that they were working on. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the next year or two, we may end up hearing about something that comes out of that. Or maybe we'll never hear about it again and the whole idea just falls into the void because Sony ends up realizing there's nothing they can do to make it happen. Who knows. But it gives a little glimmer of hope that one day everyone will be able to play PS2 games on their PS3's at some point regardless of which model they own.

Seriously, all Sony has to do is put part of their PS2 catalog on PSN along with more PS1 games and they could have the masses literally eating at their hands. I don't understand it, because as a consumer I WANT to give them money. I'd GLADLY pay 20 bucks for a game like Rogue Galaxy, Ico or the FF games on PSN, and I already owned those games at one point.

The latest models of PS3 literally lack any kind of ability to play these games, downloadable or not, so until they can find a solution like building a software emulator (no easy task), this'll never happen.

exactly this

If they're waiting for PS3 sales to gain momentum to put the PS2 to pasture, then they're in for a long wait.

Backwards compatibility is hardly the most important aspect to the PS3, but it would make some damn good financial sense if they'd nix the PS2, put software emulation back into the bloody PS3 and open up the god damned library of PS2 games onto PSN, and then charge 20 bucks for each. There's no physical production cost, no retail middleman, just pure, unadulterated cash flow. They wanna make money back on software for every system they sell, then this seems to be the easiest way to do it. They have the tools. All they have to do is get it running and market the hell out of it.

"You all know those great games you played back on the PS2 but can't find anymore? We're putting a bunch of them on our easy to use PlayStation Network. Buy and play all your favorites and maybe some you missed instantly."

PlayStation 3: It prints money.

and open up the god damned library of PS2 games onto PSN, and then charge 20 bucks for each.

You'll never see PS2 games on the PSN for the PS3, and not just because Sony said they won't do it. I mean honestly imagine downloading multi-gigabyte files. Most games would be at least 4, and when you throw in installs for PS3 games on top of it, even a 120GB HDD is gonna fill fast. Now sure, you could always delete installs for games you're not playing at the moment, but even when I do that I often have at least 20-30 GB of install files kicking around. And what happens when you do fill the HDD with PS2 games (since one of the best game libraries ever combined with a price of 20 bucks a pop is a sure fire recipe for a full HDD)? You can delete them and download them again later, but not only is that a pain every time, but it will eat into the bandwidth limits that much of the civilized world is forced to put up with pretty fast. And since most people will never replace the HDD in the thing, buying a bigger one is a bit of a moot point.

I won't deny that PS2 games on the PSN wouldn't be a great thing, but I don't see it happening until HDD's in consoles come a lot bigger and bandwidth caps go the way of the Dodo. You're average person complains about having to go make a sandwich while a game spends 5 minutes installing. Imagine how much they'd bitch if they had to put up with all of the little hassles involved in buying PS2 games from the PSN.

You'll never see PS2 games on the PSN for the PS3, and not just because Sony said they won't do it. I mean honestly imagine downloading multi-gigabyte files. Most games would be at least 4, and when you throw in installs for PS3 games on top of it, even a 120GB HDD is gonna fill fast. Now sure, you could always delete installs for games you're not playing at the moment, but even when I do that I often have at least 20-30 GB of install files kicking around. And what happens when you do fill the HDD with PS2 games (since one of the best game libraries ever combined with a price of 20 bucks a pop is a sure fire recipe for a full HDD)? You can delete them and download them again later, but not only is that a pain every time, but it will eat into the bandwidth limits that much of the civilized world is forced to put up with pretty fast. And since most people will never replace the HDD in the thing, buying a bigger one is a bit of a moot point.

I won't deny that PS2 games on the PSN wouldn't be a great thing, but I don't see it happening until HDD's in consoles come a lot bigger and bandwidth caps go the way of the Dodo. You're average person complains about having to go make a sandwich while a game spends 5 minutes installing. Imagine how much they'd bitch if they had to put up with all of the little hassles involved in buying PS2 games from the PSN.

Not sure who you think you are when you're so confident in saying something like that will never happen, but I can already tell you it's already being done on the 360 with Games on Demand and XBOX Originals.

Sony's a company like any other. If the profits outweight the expenditure, there's nothing that will stop them if they want to put in the infrastructure for it. Just because you have issues managing your HDD space on your PS3 doesn't mean everybody's having the same problem (I'm definitely not) and that the demand's not there or that Sony would ever avoid trying to make money.

As for a matter of bandwidth, 4GB+ downloads are nothing new these days. It's being done on XBL and Steam and other download services all the time. There is nothing unusual about this. I've reformatted my PC dozens of times and have had to redownload 20-30GB's worth of games from Steam each time if I forgot to back them up. It happens, it's just the nature of the beast. It's not much different from running out of HDD space and having to redownload games over if you want to play them again.

I think most of us agree the issue is a matter of limitations. Every PS3 out there is gonna need to play those PS2 games somehow regardless of model and a solution to that might not come for some time.

I have to say, I am hopeful that the PS3 will now have brighter prospects. With the price drop, holdouts will hopefully jump on board, and with FF13 coming out in Japan and rumors saying some Japanese RPG makers have been holding back waiting for it (as they expect FF13 to spur Japanese PS3 sales and increase their market), I am hoping that nichey games will live once again on the home consoles instead of winding up on the DS. Hopefully, Konami will announce Suikoden VI soonish.

Just thought I'd point out, since I didn't see it mentioned on that differences list, that apparenty the slim PS3 has removed the "Install Other OS" option. Read summary here: http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2442

Well, I know it's probably a small minority of the people owning/potentially owning PS3s for that reason, but that does seem like a bit of a dick move too. The cell processor is a great piece of hardware for things other than gaming and this puts those potential new users out in the cold, now standing along side people who wanted to play all three playstation series of games on one console that didn't jump on the $500-$600 bandwagon when it first came out. That's a shame.

Just thought I'd point out, since I didn't see it mentioned on that differences list, that apparenty the slim PS3 has removed the "Install Other OS" option. Read summary here: http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2442

Well, I know it's probably a small minority of the people owning/potentially owning PS3s for that reason, but that does seem like a bit of a dick move too. The cell processor is a great piece of hardware for things other than gaming and this puts those potential new users out in the cold, now standing along side people who wanted to play all three playstation series of games on one console that didn't jump on the $500-$600 bandwagon when it first came out. That's a shame.

Heh, I used to work at Red Hat (and use Gentoo on my home PC), and even I didn't even bother to install Linux on my PS3. I wonder what the size of the Linux PS3 user base is.

Not sure who you think you are when you're so confident in saying something like that will never happen, but I can already tell you it's already being done on the 360 with Games on Demand and XBOX Originals.

Like I said, Sony themselves have said they won't put PS2 games on the PSN.

Sony's a company like any other. If the profits outweight the expenditure, there's nothing that will stop them if they want to put in the infrastructure for it.

You're right, nothing would stop them except that they don't have any intention of doing it any time soon.

Just because you have issues managing your HDD space on your PS3 doesn't mean everybody's having the same problem (I'm definitely not) and that the demand's not there or that Sony would ever avoid trying to make money.

Never said I have problems managing my HDD space thanks. Just said most people would be annoyed by it. Most people being the same average joe morons who thought being forced to wait five minutes for a DMC4 install was a strike against the PS3 version.

As for a matter of bandwidth, 4GB+ downloads are nothing new these days. It's being done on XBL and Steam and other download services all the time. There is nothing unusual about this. I've reformatted my PC dozens of times and have had to redownload 20-30GB's worth of games from Steam each time if I forgot to back them up. It happens, it's just the nature of the beast. It's not much different from running out of HDD space and having to redownload games over if you want to play them again.

Again, I agree with and have no problems with any of this. Of course I also pay the extra for the highest download limit my ISP provides. I also don't expect that most other people bother, so the people stuck at the 6GB and 20 GB levels below mine might not be as quick to re-download one game let alone several and get charged up the wazoo for it at the ISP end or have their bandwidth throttled for the rest of the month.

I think most of us agree the issue is a matter of limitations. Every PS3 out there is gonna need to play those PS2 games somehow regardless of model and a solution to that might not come for some time.

Agree with this as well, though if Sony can implement this on the firmware end then there's no real issue in the long run. I just don't see them offering digital distribution of PS2 titles this gen, because the public largely can't or wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but hindsight is always 20/20 and until Sony comes up with a plan to the contrary and makes it really work I'll stand by my reasoning.

Frankly, I'd take them releasing more PSX titles on the American PSN before they worry about PS2 games. American support has been pathetic compared to what Japan has.

Like I said, Sony themselves have said they won't put PS2 games on the PSN.

Just like they said there'd never be a Dualshock 3. Or that there never was a PSP redesign in the works. Or that there was no such thing as a Slim PS3. Or anything like that. I never trust a word that comes out of any company's mouth.

Also, I don't know how other people's ISP's treat bandwidth caps but mine just bitches at you if you go over. We do pay extra now though, just for the added speed and higher caps. If some people's ISP's start tacking on extra fees for going over limits then it might be time to invest in a larger hard drive for the PS3 because it'd probably save you money in the long run. But with the difficulty in the availability of certain PS2 games I can see the marketplace definitely finding support for it since it seems people are using downloadable games services like Steam regardless of the size of the games (HL2 is 3.5GB for example.) So depending on the product people ARE willing to download big for games they want.

Frankly, I'd take them releasing more PSX titles on the American PSN before they worry about PS2 games. American support has been pathetic compared to what Japan has.

Amen to that.

Well thanks for pointing out another one of Sony's problems: Not marketing the hell out of the fact that you can switch out the HDD for a bigger one. They're actually responding to this though with the Slim. The HDD slot is in the front of the system and all it takes is the removal of two screws and you're done.

It almost seems that up until now, Sony wasn't even serious with their PlayStation strategy.

If it doesn't break, then my friends can grovel in the dirt with a cheaper alternative. lol. Their lunchmoneys, not mine.

Considering it's by mad catz and they are the same guys that made those fight stick console/pads, I don't see why they would break any easier than a regular PS3 controller.

My only complaint with the cheap mad catz ps3 is that the analog sticks feel... slippery?; especially if you're prone to have sweaty/greasy hands/thumbs. Other then that they're just as good as the official PS3 controllers.

Oh yeah they also charge an extra $19.99 just for a different colored controller... Hope they prefer good ole black.

>:L

Sounds good. Now they have no excuse.

I'm only worried that when I get a PS3 Slim (finally), the store would try to sell me $100 Optic Cables for my surround sound. And I hear $4 ones are just as good too.

I'd say give the cheaper ones a try unless you've heard some reliable sources that have horror stories of them frying shit.

Heck I got the Nyko USB Hub for $14.99.

BEST ADDON INVESTMENT FOR MY PS3 EVAR as it adds 3 more usb ports and a card reader. :3

However this is for the older 80/40/60gb models. Not sure if u can put it on the slim and it would respond normally.

Edit* for those that get it, make sure u have the correct plastic piece in place and once you've slotted it in the left usb port, really push the module up so that you'll hear a "snap"; it means it's secure and not lurching downward where it could get pulled out much too easily.