Sony PS3

Bigfoot

Even now, bluray doesn't appeal to me, and I don't NEED a media PC. I need a gaming machine, and the PS3 failed miserably at that for the first two and a half years.

AH, so you were generalizing your own disappointment such that EVERY PS3 owner is disappointed and not to the subset of gamers who wanted a strictly gaming machine for brand new games. I say brand new games because the PS2 has a solid game library and for early adopters, you had backwards compatibility. I also assume you were an early adopter and have a right to bitch.

AH, so you were generalizing your own disappointment such that EVERY PS3 owner is disappointed and not to the subset of gamers who wanted a strictly gaming machine for brand new games. I say brand new games because the PS2 has a solid game library and for early adopters, you had backwards compatibility. I also assume you were an early adopter and have a right to bitch.

I didn't buy a PS3 to play PS2 games. I had a PS2. I am putting myself in the situation that a lot of early adopters found themselves in, and I'd feel betrayed by Sony.

ps3's been hacked. Ever since I modded my ps2 and it broke 8 months later, I said that it wasn't fair to the developers and never got an illegal piece of media again. (I actually got another ps2 later) But it will be interesting to see how sony will handle this. Probably the same way as the psp where you can't access the internet without the latest firmware.

ps3's been hacked. Ever since I modded my ps2 and it broke 8 months later, I said that it wasn't fair to the developers and never got an illegal piece of media again. (I actually got another ps2 later) But it will be interesting to see how sony will handle this. Probably the same way as the psp where you can't access the internet without the latest firmware.

not to be rude or anything, but the ps3 hasn't actually been hacked. geohot got into the kernel, but he can't do anything yet.

not to mention his hack involves some serious hardware stuff that most people around here can't do. like heavy-duty electrical work, soldering and stuff.

this is particularly notable considering that the blu-ray format is basically unhackable until you find a burner that'll also burn the barcode into the center ring, inside the readable disc space. since that's most of why you can't hack a blu-ray - the data's all there, but it needs the authentication code to make it work.

...it needs the authentication code to make it work...
...authentication code to work...
...authentication code...

Figures, well at least now I can just burn huge collections of high quality videos onto the discs to play on the ps3. Or better yet master a disc dedicated to horror flicks of a particular genre with sweet looking menu and stuff. :lol:

Hooray! Rockstar just announced that the until-now Xbox360-exclusive GTA IV expansions "Episodes from Liberty City" ('The Lost & Damned' and 'The Ballad of Gay Tony') will be headed to PS3(and PC) in both a $19.99-per-episode downloadable form on PSN and a $39.99 standalone disc on March 30, 2010. It's a great time to be a girl!

http://www.rockstargames.com/news/2010/01/29/2861/grand_theft_auto_episodes_from_liberty_city_coming_to_playstation_3_and_pc

And the fact that many ps2 games are massive files, up to I think 5 gigs per single-layer dvd disk. Imagine the amount that it would cost to move that kind of data.

If it's not a problem to download Xbox Originals from XBLA, I'm not sure how there would be any greater technical limitations to have PS2 games on PSN. There isn't a whole lot of merit to the old "but the files are so big!" argument these days.

And the fact that many ps2 games are massive files, up to I think 5 gigs per single-layer dvd disk. Imagine the amount that it would cost to move that kind of data.

this is a relatively major issue, particularly with ISPs throttling bandwidth. downloading files from PSN would interfere with most ISPs efforts to prevent illegal downloading on their networks.

the bigger issue is that the PS2 is still being sold in stores. we won't see PS3 compatibility until sony has stopped sucking that teat for at least two years.