Sony PS3

Bigfoot

More space= more of our money.

Also, Dante isn't going to be the main character of DMC4, instead it's his bro, Virgil in the Neo Angelo form.

Stolen from a different site

dmc4ps3fami.jpg

In a recent issue of Famitsu, loads of info about the upcoming Devil May Cry 4
for the PLAYSTATION 3 have surfaced. Kotakuite AKBlade13 was kind
enough not only to summarize some of the article, but all, yes all, of
it. What a prince. Here are the highlights:

* Dante has been played out, so the new hero is his twin brother, Nero Angelo
* The game should be playable at TGS.
* It isn't known whether Dante will be playable
* The classic DMC moves have been retained, but there is speculation that TGS will unveil new features.
* The game is apparently taping the PS3's power for its visuals.

Hit the jump for AKBlade13's full rundown. Brian Ashcraft

Thus, the true hero of the play is this time Nero Angelo (Capcom wants
to change indeed principal character but Dante was already
overexploited in the precedents opus), the twin brother of Dante will
be equipped with an arm very powerful right allowing him to start
demoniaques actions with Devil Bringer. Dante will be also present but
we do not know yet if it will be really playable. The events of Devil May Cry 4 take place chronologically between Devil May Cry 1 and Devil May Cry 2,
the mechanisms of gameplay (the system of the combos, etc) will be very
similar to the preceding shutters of the series, one hopes all the same
that the function of detection of movements of the lever PlayStation 3
will be used, in particular at the time of the engagements. The very
good news is that Devil May Cry 4 should be playable at the
time of Tokyo Game Show 2006 which will take place in a few weeks, in
any case scenes of the play in real time will be presented. Capcom
would hold even some surprises for us.

Speaking with the magazine, director Hideaki Itsuno stated that
the change was made in part to put fans and newcomers on equal ground
with the game. One of the worries was that if the game looks too much
like a sequel, new players will have a hard time of playing.

The classic Devil May Cry hero will appear in the game as a
"mysterious person." From Nero's perspective, Dante is an enemy who
appears out of nowhere and kills his allies. Chronologically, the Dante
that appears in this game comes after part 1 but before part 2 (the
series chronology is 3, 1, 4, 2).

Kobayashi wouldn't state for sure if Dante will be playable (Famitsu
shows some shots of Dante shooting his gun, but these may just be event
scenes), but Nero seems to have enough tricks that you won't want to go
back to the classic hero. Nero has access to a new array of attacks
using his "Devil Right Hand." Nero's right hand can be used to pull
distant enemies in and send enemies that are close by flying away.

All the classic Devil May Cry moves are also planned for the game.
Nero can wield two guns and has access to a variety of swords,
including the powerful Red Queen. The combo system is based on that of
part 3, Itsuno revealed to the magazine, noting that Capcom has been
making adjustments by listening to user feedback. There are a few
mysterious new systems, including one where your sword has an element
of "acceleration" about it, but details will have to wait until a
certain late-September game show.

Devil May Cry is also about stylish drama sequences between the
action, and Itsuno and crew seem to have this covered as well. Like part 3, DMC4
will have its event scenes directed by movie director Yuji Shimomura.
The story volume will be greater than that of the previous games,
Itsuno noted to the magazine.

Itsuno also shared some details on how the game is tapping the power
of the PS3. The visuals attempt to deliver a satisfying feel of being
in the air. Nero's right arm actions are, according to Itsuno,
something that could not be done on current machines.

Im just curious. Whats so special about Blu-Ray technology?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

More storage space, from what I gather.

Ah ... and yet it doesnt impress me too much :|

I know what you mean. I still think it's too early for a format change so Blu Ray and HD-DVD need to wait a little while.

A Blu-Ray disc that can store up to 100GB is nothing to scoff at, and many developers have voiced concerns about cramming all the extra data needed for HD game content into the standard 8.9GB DL DVDs, So I don't think it's too early for a new, bigger format. Had Sony and MS not benn pushing HD gaming so much then yes, HD DVD and Blu-Ray would not be necessary at all this coming generation.

In my mind Sony has dropped the ball in a lot more areas than deciding to include Blu-Ray into the PS3.

^Blu-ray discs, in practice, will NEVER be 100GB. I remember years ago when it was touted that DVD's could store up to 18GB...I have NEVER seen a double-sided DVD. For one thing, it is every bit as inconvenient as having two discs. You still have to take it out to read both sides.

Im just curious. Whats so special about Blu-Ray technology?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

More storage space, from what I gather.

Ah ... and yet it doesnt impress me too much :|

I know what you mean. I still think it's too early for a format change so Blu Ray and HD-DVD need to wait a little while.

A Blu-Ray disc that can store up to 100GB is nothing to scoff at, and many developers have voiced concerns about cramming all the extra data needed for HD game content into the standard 8.9GB DL DVDs, So I don't think it's too early for a new, bigger format. Had Sony and MS not benn pushing HD gaming so much then yes, HD DVD and Blu-Ray would not be necessary at all this coming generation.

I rather wait for HVD to get cheap than adopt blu-ray, much less a Sony-controlled format.

Big whoop-dee-fuck.

It's not like with all this tons of additional space were going to see longer movies and games.

Storage space and game lentgh are completely unrelated. Dragon Quest for NES is like 200k and it's a 60 hour game. With added storage space we can watch HD movies, store ultra hi-res textures, large soundtracks, etc. The 9gig DVDs are already limiting developers for games like Grand Theft Auto. Big games, detailed worlds just need a lot of space, especially when the next generation of games come out.

Big whoop-dee-fuck.

It's not like with all this tons of additional space were going to see longer movies and games.

Storage space and game lentgh are completely unrelated. Dragon Quest for NES is like 200k and it's a 60 hour game. With added storage space we can watch HD movies, store ultra hi-res textures, large soundtracks, etc. The 9gig DVDs are already limiting developers for games like Grand Theft Auto. Big games, detailed worlds just need a lot of space, especially when the next generation of games come out.

So I'm guessing a game like GTA can't be on multiple discs by design. That will certainly be a big issue for GTA 360 then. Is procedural generation a potential solution?

Big whoop-dee-fuck.

So I'm guessing a game like GTA can't be on multiple discs by design. That will certainly be a big issue for GTA 360 then. Is procedural generation a potential solution?

Nah, it could work on two discs- the map is mutually stored, with the earlier missions on disc one. Change discs when some sort of major plot point occurs, and new missions are created. Think ToS.

^Blu-ray discs, in practice, will NEVER be 100GB. I remember years ago when it was touted that DVD's could store up to 18GB...I have NEVER seen a double-sided DVD. For one thing, it is every bit as inconvenient as having two discs. You still have to take it out to read both sides.

That's nice, but I'm not talking about double sided discs, the BR disc I refered to had a single side with six layers, totalling up to 200GB - no flipping required. Yes, it's a prototype and there are only 50GB disc available at the moment, but that doesn't rule out anything.

I don't really have much of a preference between Bluray or HD DVDs, in fact I'm kind of leaning more toward HD DVDs at the moment, for various reasons. Both however are capable of some pretty significant data storage gains over regular dvds (although Blu-Rays seem have the upper hand here).

What I'm saying is that with the move from designing games for SD to HD, the standard DVD format is really going to need to be replaced if we truly want games to take advantages of what HD offers. Sony might end up with an advantage in this regard, while developers for the 360 may have to find some new ways to create better looking games, while still storing it on the same discs they used for the XBox.

I rather wait for HVD to get cheap than adopt blu-ray, much less a Sony-controlled format.
Think of it this way: Sony has never once championed a widescale successful media format. They lost VHS/Betamax, they were forced to adopt a hybrid format for the DVD era(Sony's format was MMCD, which had 5GB storage per layer), their digital audio format and players bombed, in favor of the iPod and standard MP3 players, and the UMD is a DOA format, for multimedia delivery.

Why it is that a company with that many outright failed format attempts still gets people to support them like they've never done anything wrong, I won't understand.

And in the case of Betamax and BD-ROM, Sony is being exclusive with the licenses. It will be an outright breach of the license agreement to see any sort of hybrid device that can support HD-DVD and BD-ROM. Add in the production costs of the media and how steep the license fees are, per disc sold, and Sony is trying to strange it's own formats, time and time again, by making them too expensive to generate a real profit for any but the highest volume sellers. HD-DVD, on the other hand, barely costs more than a DVD to produce, and has license fees far lower, so it's a viable possibility for a wider range of companies.

That, and come 2008, you won't be able to watch BD-ROM based movies, unless you have an HDTV with an encrypted HDMI connection, because of the copy protection models used.