Sony PS3

Bigfoot

Not to bash on the PS3, but I figured I'd throw this here.

I was just up at my local EB, trying to get a copy of Megaman ZX (and failing), when a lady walked in with her son. They walked up to the counter and talked about a return or something, which my friend working there gladly provided. Her son then asked, kinda offhand, if EB knew when the PS3 was releasing. When he got the reply ("November 17th. Were you interested in reserving one? Price is scheduled to be $599."), it was almost tangible how much that hit everyone standing near the counter. I believe the mother's exact words were "You have got to be kidding me?!"

Related to the story, I'm not a user of Xfire, so I don't know how good this is. It's clear that Sony needed a leg up in this area, so this'll make things interesting. I wonder if they have a promotional thing going with Xfire's PC service or if the services will connect in anyway. It'd be cool if they allowed people to communicate with PC users via the PS3.

Oh, well damn. Look at the updates to the story.

UPDATE II: Sony Computer Entertainment America responded to the below report with the following statement: "We can confirm that Sony Online Entertainment is in talks with Viacom and Xfire for a single, specific PS3 game. However, there are no announcements at this time regarding any discussions between SCEA, Viacom and Xfire."

Looks like Xfire is only gonna see the light of day in a single game. So much for the hopes of having a single, unified online gaming service. Looks like it's going to be little more than the mishmash seen on the PS2, at this point.

Odd. Perhaps Sony is using Dark Kingdom as a testing ground for the service, with plans to incorporate it more extensively in the future if it succeeds. If this is the case, then Playstation owners can at least look forward to the possibility of a comprehensive online plan from Sony in the not-too-distant future.

Now if only we knew exactly how Nintendo was going to handle their online services...

Now if only we knew exactly how Nintendo was going to handle their online services...

It's probably gonna be that awkward mess of friend codes and tough times setting up matches. Which really takes away from the online.

On a side note, Sony using XFire is a boost to them.

*drags thread from bottom of page 2*

Hey, look! Sony's dropping the price of the El Cheap-o PS3 in Japan.. and adding more stuff to it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158155.html?tag=latestnews;title;4

So, the only difference in that massive $200 price span between versions, is that you get an extra 40GB drive space and a memory card reader?

...-why- is Sony releasing 2 different models of the PS3, now? Seems to me it'd be cheaper for production, and a much better move if they just made a single model with all the features, for ~$450. At this point, there's really no valid reason to buy the higher end model, since you could just grab an external HDD for ~$80 with 200GB storage, and an external multi card reader, to hook up through the USB.

*drags thread from bottom of page 2*

Hey, look! Sony's dropping the price of the El Cheap-o PS3 in Japan.. and adding more stuff to it.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158155.html?tag=latestnews;title;4

So, the only difference in that massive $200 price span between versions, is that you get an extra 40GB drive space and a memory card reader?

...-why- is Sony releasing 2 different models of the PS3, now? Seems to me it'd be cheaper for production, and a much better move if they just made a single model with all the features, for ~$450. At this point, there's really no valid reason to buy the higher end model, since you could just grab an external HDD for ~$80 with 200GB storage, and an external multi card reader, to hook up through the USB.

Doesn't the high end PS3 have HD connections and other ports that the regular version doesnt? If it's just a difference in HD space and the card reader I might go for the cheap version.

They added the HDMI thingy on the cheapo version too, so you win Evilhead, no need for a 900 dollar system.

White Knight story looks really cool. I've always wanted a game where you can transform, but was the video realtime? It just looked like a trailer with a thing at the bottem... The video just didn't really look like a battle, but a scene, but that's just me.

http://anon.psjp.speedera.net/anon.psjp/tgs06/high/h_whiteknight.wmv

Link to said White Knight Story video.

I'll likely get a PS3 around this time next year, when some more interesting games become available. As it is, I don't think I could afford both this and a Wii without some major sacrifices. I can wait.

And really, I don't think it would enjoyable divvying up my time between two new consoles. But damn, does MGS4 look enticing.

They added the HDMI thingy on the cheapo version too, so you win Evilhead, no need for a 900 dollar system.

Awesome. I'll pick up a Japanese PS3 at launch if I can. I think I can deal with less hard drive space and spend the extra cash on games.

Yeah, me too. Hearing that, I think I might actually buy a PS3 before an XBox 360 if that price change comes over to the US. $400 for a PS3, or even $430, would be really worth it.