Sony PS3

Bigfoot

Yeah, I mostly agree. Except about Sony and Nintendo tacking online functionality on with a downloadable library, I would have to disagree on that with the Wii. The Wii seems to be pretty focused on online connectivity. The most, I'd say. Although, this is not just playing multiplayer games online, this is general online functionality. I mean, the whole Wii Channels thing; every channel uses internet, and only a few of the given channels don't require internet to be used. Plus new channels are created and distributed to Wiis through the internet. Plus the whole WiiConnect24 thing, sending DS game demos, Mii Parades, emailing photos, web browser, virtual console (they said they will sell new games on VC too), message boards, etc. As for the actual multiplayer online functionality, which is probably what you were specifically referring to being X360's selling point, Nintendo hasn't really even released any details on that at all, but given the fact that the Wii is pretty much centered around online, I would say it's safe to assume they are at least putting a bit more focus onto it than, say, the DS's Wifi internet service. But even without considering multiplayer online, one of the Wii's selling points is that it is basically internet on your TV. They seem to like to talk about being able to do things like browse the internet, send emails and photos to family members, etc. at the comfort of your couch or recliner with a simple remote, with this console that is always online, and always able to come out of sleep mode at the press of a button, just like turning on your TV.

Then again, that's only a selling point assuming Nintendo will be able to tap into this market of non/casual gamers, so we'll just have to wait and see. Anyways, I'm sure every console will do well enough, so I don't even know why I'm worrying about which one will do the best or whatever. I guess speculating on how well the consoles will sell is about all we can do while waiting for them to finally be released.

I agree with a lot of the points, but you'd be dreaming if Nintendo can do all that within 2006. A lot of the online functionality is slated for 2007, and I don't expect a Japanese game company to leap into the online world as well as American game companies (most of them savvy with the PC online gaming experience) were with the Xbox.

Another thing is that the Wii is investing mostly on the new controller and it's obvious that's where most of their selling mantra goes towards. The online stuff sounds good, but I wonder if many Nintendo games will go online. I really doubt that something like Mario or Zelda can or even needs to go online for any reason. While a lot of American styled games with 3rd/1st person action, MMORPGs and strict 2D styled games seem tailor made to be online playable for the 360. I think it'll take a bit while for the Wii games to get comfortable with the online aspect. It took PS2 about three years and Xbox Live about two years until they got into a groove.

Why the hell would you want to browse the internet on your TV? Without a keyboard no less. The only think I could think of is watching flash movies on your TV, but you can do that easily with a video out cable from your laptop.

XboxLive is good because it focuses on games. TONS of Xbox games are ready for online play. Nintendo is just throwing all kinds of gimmicky shit in there to make it seem like you are getting a lot for your money. But honestly, how many times after the first week you have your Wii will you use it to check the weather or email photos? Unless you have no computer access (scratch EVERY PERSON posting here) TV intarweb is useless. Get some decent multiplayer games for the Wii and I'd be interested. But so far there is what? Wii Sports? How can that possibly compare to the dozens of FPS games, MMORPGs, fighting games, and all other kinds of games with large userbases on XboxLive?

A lot of good points, but I think we were talking about selling points. I wont be constantly using every last Wii channel, like weather and everything. But consider this: just today someone I know was asking me to let him borrow my laptop. His desktop is all screwed up and slow, and he can't afford a new computer, and all he needs one for is browsing the web. After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that the Wii would actually be a good thing for someone in his situation, because it's way cheaper than a computer, it's much less susceptible to viruses and stuff, and it's just much more simple and stable. Plus it's more convenient in some aspects, because it's just sitting down and turning on your TV to browse the web. No boot up time. It is definetely different than browsing the web on a PC though, and sure not everyone is going to like it. There are obviously advantages to using a PC for web to heavy users. But it's a pretty good deal, it's a unique way to browse the web/email/photos, and it's more convenient for casual use.

Oh, and I already have a USB keyboard. I don't know what you were getting at there, keyboards don't cost that much. I'll probably use my Wii for internet browsing every once in a while if I just need to do something quick, it's a bit more convenient than turning on your computer just to check something really fast.

Why the hell would you want to browse the internet on your TV? Without a keyboard no less. The only think I could think of is watching flash movies on your TV, but you can do that easily with a video out cable from your laptop.

XboxLive is good because it focuses on games. TONS of Xbox games are ready for online play. Nintendo is just throwing all kinds of gimmicky shit in there to make it seem like you are getting a lot for your money. But honestly, how many times after the first week you have your Wii will you use it to check the weather or email photos? Unless you have no computer access (scratch EVERY PERSON posting here) TV intarweb is useless. Get some decent multiplayer games for the Wii and I'd be interested. But so far there is what? Wii Sports? How can that possibly compare to the dozens of FPS games, MMORPGs, fighting games, and all other kinds of games with large userbases on XboxLive?

A lot of good points, but I think we were talking about selling points. I wont be constantly using every last Wii channel, like weather and everything. But consider this: just today someone I know was asking me to let him borrow my laptop. His desktop is all screwed up and slow, and he can't afford a new computer, and all he needs one for is browsing the web. After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that the Wii would actually be a good thing for someone in his situation, because it's way cheaper than a computer, it's much less susceptible to viruses and stuff, and it's just much more simple and stable. Plus it's more convenient in some aspects, because it's just sitting down and turning on your TV to browse the web. No boot up time. It is definetely different than browsing the web on a PC though, and sure not everyone is going to like it. There are obviously advantages to using a PC for web to heavy users. But it's a pretty good deal, it's a unique way to browse the web/email/photos, and it's more convenient for casual use.

Oh, and I already have a USB keyboard. I don't know what you were getting at there, keyboards don't cost that much. I'll probably use my Wii for internet browsing every once in a while if I just need to do something quick, it's a bit more convenient than turning on your computer just to check something really fast.

Well, let me ask you this, have you ever browsed the web on your TV? I have, and it's painful. I have s-video out on my laptop, and occasionally I use it to watch downloaded video files on my TV when I have people over (it's easier for a group to watch a big TV than crowd around a laptop). Works great for movies, but most text is near unreadable on a TV screen. The resolution is just too crappy. Unless you have a nice hi-def LCD display or plasma screen as your TV, you'll get a headache in minutes. Remember WebTV? Remember how it crashed and burned? I'm not saying the internet on the Wii will be completely useless, but for anyone with a PC there's no way you'd use the Wii as a web browser aside from the "cool I'm internetting on my TV!!" factor. And for those people without a computer it might be an alternative, but it's definitely not ideal.

Also, why do you turn your computer off during the day? Just leave it on and you don't have to worry about booting it up all the time. Even then, my laptop boots up Windows in about 15 or 20 seconds, so it's not really a problem.

Evilhead, have you seen the browser for the Wii? It looks great, Opera makes stuff like that for low res things.

http://wii.com/en_US/movies/internetchannel/

Notice they are running it on a LCD display. If this is the case, it would work great. For instance, at my parent's house, they have LCD displays and plasma screens everywhere. It would be perfect. But if you've got a standard tube TV, I just don't see the point. It will look crappy, and although zooming in on the text seems like it will make it readable, you'll be zooming all over the place. It's neat, but I see it as more of a gimmick than anything. Not a system seller by any means.

Now browsing the web on your DS or PSP anywhere you can get a wireless connection? THAT is cool.

Evilhead, have you seen the browser for the Wii? It looks great, Opera makes stuff like that for low res things.

http://wii.com/en_US/movies/internetchannel/

Notice they are running it on a LCD display. If this is the case, it would work great. For instance, at my parent's house, they have LCD displays and plasma screens everywhere. It would be perfect. But if you've got a standard tube TV, I just don't see the point. It will look crappy, and although zooming in on the text seems like it will make it readable, you'll be zooming all over the place. It's neat, but I see it as more of a gimmick than anything. Not a system seller by any means.

Now browsing the web on your DS or PSP anywhere you can get a wireless connection? THAT is cool.

Tube displays are higher quality than LCD and Plasma. They just can't be as big without taking half the space in one room.

Throw in an HD able connection on a CTR TV and you will have better quality image than on a LCD and on a plasma...

I would also consider getting one, but the cost right now is a little high. Not to mention that I don't have the time or interest to play as much as I used to.

Most of my interest in games is very specific right now, limited to maybe four or so games. But from those four games, I get a lot of enjoyment from them.

With the cost of the PS3, I honestly can not validate spending that much money on a system I might end up hardly playing at all. Unless I find several games that capture and maintain my interest in them, it's just not cost effective. I always buy stuff based upon how much use (and fun) I will get out of it compared to how much it will cost me. My Gameboy Advance worked out extremely well in my favor, but my Gamecube... not so much. I think that with the few games I got for it, combined with the amount I played them... I probably broke even, maybe a little in my favor. Unless the PS3 can match my GBA in that sense, I don't think I will get one anytime soon. Hell, even with PS2 being so cheap now, I still can't find anything on it that I want. And the PSP only has a few games I would like, but again, the cost is still pretty high just for two games I may end up never really playing much.

And since I don't watch a lot of movies, using it as a DVD player (Blu-Ray or otherwise) isn't a big selling point for me. What few movies I do watch, I just use my computer for.

Maybe in a few years, when the library of games is bigger and more varied... I don't know...

Yeah, a Japanese PS3. That's all good for everyone over there. But the rest of the world still has to pay the full price. Unless there was a secret price cut announced, and no one was told.

Now, this next part is not meant as a shot at Sony, or an attempt to start a flamewar, but it is a serious consideration. And a very valid one, I would think, for anyone buying a new console.

Historically, Sony has had very poor customer support when it came to their video game systems. Who remembers when the PSP was shipping with an unusually high amount of dead/stuck pixels, and malfunctioning analog buttons? Or the various issues that the PS2 had? Or the overheating of the first generation PS1? And who remembers how Sony responded to these problems? I do. A relatively quick search reveals some unflattering reports.

Anyone willing to do the research can see a pattern of hardware failure in their first few hardware versions. This is something that even the most loyal and diehard Sony booster can't deny. So if you get one right away, and it is dead out of the box, or dies shortly after you get it... what will you do? Sony has already said that there will only be a 100 000 units for Japan, and those are pretty much going to be gone by the end of the first day. And they reported several times that they were having trouble producing parts, so it's very possible that there won't be a lot of units after launch. Getting a replacement is going to be damn near impossible. So if your PS3 does develope problems shortly after you get it, what would you do?

/ducks and covers

I think we're better off here without the price cut. They are cutting the price of the system down $100, but raising the price of games from $65 to $100. According to my math, by the time you buy 3 games with the "price cut", you are already spending more than you would without it by $5. And then on your fourth game you lost another $35. And so on. I guess it depends on how many games you're planning to buy. But it seems kind of dumb to spend so much on a system and only get a couple games because they're too expensive. I mean $65 is already a lot of money for a single game in my opinion. But $100? I don't think I could bring myself to spending $100 on one game.

Hmm. The site Sir Nuts linked to seemed pretty focused around PS3 games being $100; I wonder where they got that information and why they are wrong. Oh, and the prices in the article you posted are more between $49 and $69, excluding Mah-Jong. Wait. Mah-Jong? Why the heck are they making 2 Mah-Jong games for PS3? Haha. Probably going to be a big waste of all that space on the Blue-Ray discs. Seriously. Is anyone going to spend $45 on Mah-Jong for their PS3? After spending so much money to get the most powerful console, you'd think that people would want to get games that utilize the power of it more than Mah-Jong.

After spending so much money to get the most powerful console, you'd think that people would want to get games that utilize the power of it more than Mah-Jong.

You never know, it could be the MGS4 of Mah-Jong.

Historically, Sony has had very poor customer support when it came to their video game systems. Who remembers when the PSP was shipping with an unusually high amount of dead/stuck pixels, and malfunctioning analog buttons? Or the various issues that the PS2 had? Or the overheating of the first generation PS1? And who remembers how Sony responded to these problems? I do. A relatively quick search reveals some unflattering reports.

Well hopefully Sony has learned from their past mistakes. Y'know, the kid that burns himself on the stove learns not to touch it. I guess Sony's the kid that has to touch it a couple of times before the thought sticks.

Historically' date=' Sony has had very poor customer support when it came to their video game systems. Who remembers when the PSP was shipping with an unusually high amount of dead/stuck pixels, and malfunctioning analog buttons? Or the various issues that the PS2 had? Or the overheating of the first generation PS1? And who remembers how Sony responded to these problems? I do. A relatively quick search reveals some unflattering reports. [/quote']

Well hopefully Sony has learned from their past mistakes. Y'know, the kid that burns himself on the stove learns not to touch it. I guess Sony's the kid that has to touch it a couple of times before the thought sticks.

I do think Sony *is* learning. When I bought my PSP back in March, it had a shitload of dead pixels...probably over 30. My second one only had 2 dead pixels though, so I kept it. At least they accepted my trade in for free.

Yeah, a Japanese PS3. That's all good for everyone over there. But the rest of the world still has to pay the full price. Unless there was a secret price cut announced, and no one was told.

Consoles are ALWAYS more expensive in Japan. Look at how much the PS2 and PS1 retailed for there at launch. It hasn't been announced, but I would be VERY surprised of the US doesn't get a similar or better price cut. Look at the PSP. Remember when EVERYONE was sure it was going to launch for $400? Then it was released for $250. This is just all part of the hype.

So if you get one right away, and it is dead out of the box, or dies shortly after you get it... what will you do? Sony has already said that there will only be a 100 000 units for Japan, and those are pretty much going to be gone by the end of the first day. And they reported several times that they were having trouble producing parts, so it's very possible that there won't be a lot of units after launch. Getting a replacement is going to be damn near impossible. So if your PS3 does develope problems shortly after you get it, what would you do?

Um, I really doubt they would sell dead systems (there is such a think as quality control), but if I had problems with my system I would try to swap it at a store. If that was impossible, I would contact Sony. If they had none as well, I would get my money back. Not really complicated. I've got a launch PS2 and it's working perfectly to this day. My DS has crashed as many times as my PS2 in the 6 years I've had it, which is 2 or 3 times.

As for the PSP issues, those dead pixels were from the shipping to Japan the states. There were no such problems here. My PSP actually developed a dead pixel when I shipped it in the mail, but it's somewhere I don't even notice it. A lot of DS's had dead pixels, and unless you had more than 5 or so, Nintendo wouldn't take them back either.

Nintendo DS's only need 1 dead pixel to trade it in. They didn't need a set number, as long as you had 1, you could trade yours in for a new one.

Anyways, stop using the PSP for the pricing comparison. Sony already stated how much the PS3 will cost. They never said how much the PSP would cost when people said the PSP was going to cost $400.

Anyways, stop using the PSP for the pricing comparison. Sony already stated how much the PS3 will cost. They never said how much the PSP would cost when people said the PSP was going to cost $400.

Agreed. If I recall, it was some guy who worked for Atari who said the price of the PSP would be as high as $500.

^ Exactly. Until the actual system is released and there are official prices I'm just ignoring all the rumors.

Nintendo DS's only need 1 dead pixel to trade it in. They didn't need a set number, as long as you had 1, you could trade yours in for a new one.

I dunno, there were some people on here who had issues with that. Smoke?