Sony PS3

Bigfoot

As far as the tilt sensor on the PS3, I'm perhaps the only one who is looking forward to it a bit. Yeah, it was tacked on pretty last minute, and they weren't prepared to show it off very well at E3, but by the time the system is released it should be able to do what you'd expect it to do.

I don't get why so many people are against it. The ONLY reason that people talk badly about the tilt functions is because they are pissed that Sony "copied" Nintendo, even though the controller is completely different. One is a wand, one is a pad with tilt functions. When it Wii remote was announced everyone was all like, "OOOOO COOL NEAT-O MOVE MY HAND AND WOWZERS!!" then when Sony mentioned the PS3 controller can do motion detecting stuff everyone was all "PMG $ONY DOES IT AGAIN *SPUTTER* *RAGE*". Personally I'm not sold on the motion sensing thing. I think it's a gimmick that will get old, like the stylus on DS. But I like the route Sony is taking with their controller. The tilt functions can be used by developers if they choose, to enhance APPROPRIATE games. For instance, you might have tilt functionality on a flight sim or a golf game. Or it could be a little part of the control, like in a platformer such as Spyro the Dragon. You use the main controls 90% of the time, but for those flying parts you use the tilt. With the Wii, you're going to use that remote no watter WHAT. Developers will have to force the remote functionalty into where it's not really necessary or even fun. Sure first party titles and some other releases will use it really well. But how many half-ass failures will we see developed by 3rd parties? How many will they be willing to risk, when they could make a 360/PS3 cross platform game with a large consumer base?

Sure the PS3 controller is not that innovative, but it is the most VERSATILE of the three consoles. And considering the wide array of games the PS3 will have for it, that makes the most sense.

Imagine what people would think if the PS3 revealed their tilt-controller first before Nintendo's. I wonder if people would treat Nintendo the same as they are treating Sony right now.

But how many half-ass failures will we see developed by 3rd parties?

Instead of looking at it with a negative side, what if the 3rd parties actually made titles that are pretty successful with the controller?

And what did Kak get banned for? lol

Instead of looking at it with a negative side, what if the 3rd parties actually made titles that are pretty successful with the controller?

I'm sure there will be! My point was that I think Nintendo will lose some of the third parties this way. Let's say Company A has an idea for a game. Say, a katamari type game. They can't seem to integrate the Wii controller into the game very well. Are they going to put their effort into trying to release it for the Wii when the controller presents a challenge or are they going to go the "safe" way and release it for PS3/360 with improved graphics? Since the PS3 and 360 have similar amounts of power, I'm betting we'll see a lot of cross-platform games for the two, with the Wii developed for exlusively due to it's somewhat limited power and unique controller. Now as anti-Nintendo as I may sound at times, I'd LOVE to play some truly welldone 3rd party Wii titles. I can imagine it breathing fresh air into a lot of genres like 3rd person shooters, flight sims, RTSs, etc. But I'm afraid a lot of 3rd parties won't be willing to take the risk and we'll be left with a lot of excellent 1st party titles for the Wii and a few 3rd party gems here and there.

Getting way off topic here, but I guess it can't be helped!

I'm sure there will be! My point was that I think Nintendo will lose some of the third parties this way. Let's say Company A has an idea for a game. Say, a katamari type game. They can't seem to integrate the Wii controller into the game very well. Are they going to put their effort into trying to release it for the Wii when the controller presents a challenge or are they going to go the "safe" way and release it for PS3/360 with improved graphics? Since the PS3 and 360 have similar amounts of power, I'm betting we'll see a lot of cross-platform games for the two, with the Wii developed for exlusively due to it's somewhat limited power and unique controller. Now as anti-Nintendo as I may sound at times, I'd LOVE to play some truly welldone 3rd party Wii titles. I can imagine it breathing fresh air into a lot of genres like 3rd person shooters, flight sims, RTSs, etc. But I'm afraid a lot of 3rd parties won't be willing to take the risk and we'll be left with a lot of excellent 1st party titles for the Wii and a few 3rd party gems here and there.

Getting way off topic here, but I guess it can't be helped!

Ah ok, I thought you were just assuming every 3rd party game would fail :P haha

But ok, isn't GTA going to be on the Wii? I think I read that somewhere, but if I'm wrong someone correct me. I guess the wiimote could be used as a bat to beat down people. That'd probably be a successful game. I know Jack Thompson would love that :P

But anyway, I even saw the PS3 on TV about the shortages. I guess people are really making this out to be a huge deal :P

Also, is Japan still the only ones being said to be getting a reduced price for the cheaper ps3?

About the Genesis downloadable content on the PS3...

I thought that some 2 days after Sony "announced" it, Sega came right out and said there have been no talks of any kind, in any fashion, to that end. At all. The next day, Sony said it was meant to be used as an example, and promptly shut their pie hole about it.

About the Genesis downloadable content on the PS3...

I thought that some 2 days after Sony "announced" it, Sega came right out and said there have been no talks of any kind, in any fashion, to that end. At all. The next day, Sony said it was meant to be used as an example, and promptly shut their pie hole about it.

Lol, more or less.

So, when did the Sony thread become the Wii thread? I noticed there were some new posts in the PS3 thread, and then saw more posts about the Wii than about PS3 :P. Just a quick comment about a Katamari-type game: it would be enhanced by tilt sensing IMO so it would work fine on either the Wii or the PS3.

The thing that worried me originally about the tilt sensor in the PS3 controller was that devs would just tack that on, much like many devs do with DS games and the use of the stylus when they'd work better without it. It's like some developers look at a system's abilities in bulletpoints and try to match their game to all of them, when it doesn't fit with their game. It's bound to happen with some 3rd party efforts, just like it's bound to happen with some 3rd party Wii games.

For Katamari, I think it'd work better on the Wii, because you'd actually have both sticks that could be used with full hands instead of just thumbs. Hell, it could be played with just the remote itself, by acting like the katamari is being balanced right in the middle of it and you have to keep it balanced to keep it moving straight, or turn it to the sides some(like in the racing demos) to turn it in that direction.

I guess my gripe with Sony is that they just don't innovate as much as I'd like them to. Yeah, Nintendo and Sony pretty much just copied the XLA, but I'm glad Nintendo is doing the Virtual Console because Nintendo has such a great backlog of games, and I'm sure they will make some awesome new games for VC that use Wiimote functions. At least they are able to offer something different. It's not like they are just putting the XLA on the Wii, because it's an entirely different set of games.

But the idea and execution is just about the same. Likewise, Sony's plan of putting downloadable backlibrary of their insanely large PSX/PS2 library is fairly ambitious as well if you think about it. And the way they're making the PS3 into a full multimedia machine. In that sense, it sorta justifies the price. Since you pay for what you get with multimedia devices.

But maybe it's just that Sony hasn't been innovating very much lately. When they took the idea of the control stick, they used two, which became standard. But adding tilt sensors to PS3 controllers, that doesn't improve upon the Wiimote, and it doesn't offer anything different. Like the article I posted earlier said:
For the THIRD time Sony has kept the same boring controller with very little improvements (ripping off Nintendo's rumble pack and analog sticks are about the only improvements they have made on it since the original). Oh but this time they dropped rumble and added tilt functionality! This is an attempt to compete with Nintendo even thought it is severely crippled in comparison to the Wii controller. So in the end Sony is left with a controller that is not nearly as revolutionary as the Wii controller is, nor is it a perfectly fine-tuned traditional controller like the Xbox 360’s. All they have is a mutated hybrid that wants to sit on the fence without deciding whether it will be traditional or progressive. It seems very gimmicky. They either need to be all in or all out.

We won't know for sure whether it's a mutated, unusable controller until the thing is fully out. Metal Gear Solid 4 will apparently use it and Kojima would probably be the first person to use it to its fullest extent.

Another thing with Sony is that their politics doesn't involve innovation. I agree that Sony could do more and that they're copycatting right off of Nintendo, but Nintendo sorta HAD to do it. Otherwise, they would have been driven off from the home console market. They needed the attention and the innovation to keep them afloat. Sony really didn't. Sony just needed to garner the large fanbase and the wave of 3rd parties they have garnered since the PSX era. That's their perspective. Needless to say, the big and bad presentation of PS3 can be offputting (as it is to me, even when I want to buy it). But I'm not sure what they're doing is a death knell to the gaming industry or death to Sony or anything like that.

So I don't think neither Nintendo or Sony are so different in the long run. Nintendo is doing it with innovation and getting a buzz, Sony is doing it with convention and tradition of their gaming model for the last two vastly successful generations of gaming.

People tend to complain about Sony a lot with their pomp in the last few years, but I think they sorta earned it in the PSX and PS2 eras. Another thing is that Sony has been more focused on the games at hand and have spurred many 3rd parties to make exclusive games for them or even make revolutionary 3D games. It has happened before, and I'm sure they'll try to spur the innovation within the games themselves again. Even if the hardware may not be as impressive to casual onlookers since all they did was put their machine specs and online aspects to a higher level.

But the idea and execution is just about the same. Likewise, Sony's plan of putting downloadable backlibrary of their insanely large PSX/PS2 library is fairly ambitious as well if you think about it.

Wait, Sony is putting PS2 games on their virtual console? Isn't the PS2 the best selling console other than the DS right now? It seems like PSX/PS2 games would take a really long time to download, and a lot of bandwidth, but I guess that won't be too much of a problem for people with really good internet connections.
And the way they're making the PS3 into a full multimedia machine. In that sense, it sorta justifies the price. Since you pay for what you get with multimedia devices.
Like I said in response to linkspast, I know Sony is still doing their own thing with their system overral. I never said it wasn't worth it, I know you save a bunch of money buying the Blue-Ray player. The only problem for me is if I bought it, it would be wasting money on a Blue-Ray player, even though it's a good deal, because I don't have an HDTV to take advantage of it. So it's only worth it to those who value it. It's like if they included a skateboard with the Wii, and made the Wii more expensive for it, while giving a good deal on the skateboard. You could say you're getting your moneys worth, but not everyone WANTS the skateboard. And yes, including Blue-Ray in a system isn't as bad as including a skateboard, because Blue-Ray actually has something to do with the system. But the point is that not everyone can take advantage of the Blue-Ray drive they're forced to buy with the system.
But maybe it's just that Sony hasn't been innovating very much lately. When they took the idea of the control stick, they used two, which became standard. But adding tilt sensors to PS3 controllers, that doesn't improve upon the Wiimote, and it doesn't offer anything different. Like the article I posted earlier said:
For the THIRD time Sony has kept the same boring controller with very little improvements (ripping off Nintendo's rumble pack and analog sticks are about the only improvements they have made on it since the original). Oh but this time they dropped rumble and added tilt functionality! This is an attempt to compete with Nintendo even thought it is severely crippled in comparison to the Wii controller. So in the end Sony is left with a controller that is not nearly as revolutionary as the Wii controller is, nor is it a perfectly fine-tuned traditional controller like the Xbox 360’s. All they have is a mutated hybrid that wants to sit on the fence without deciding whether it will be traditional or progressive. It seems very gimmicky. They either need to be all in or all out.

We won't know for sure whether it's a mutated, unusable controller until the thing is fully out. Metal Gear Solid 4 will apparently use it and Kojima would probably be the first person to use it to its fullest extent.

Another thing with Sony is that their politics doesn't involve innovation. I agree that Sony could do more and that they're copycatting right off of Nintendo, but Nintendo sorta HAD to do it. Otherwise, they would have been driven off from the home console market. They needed the attention and the innovation to keep them afloat. Sony really didn't. Sony just needed to garner the large fanbase and the wave of 3rd parties they have garnered since the PSX era. That's their perspective. Needless to say, the big and bad presentation of PS3 can be offputting (as it is to me, even when I want to buy it). But I'm not sure what they're doing is a death knell to the gaming industry or death to Sony or anything like that.

So I don't think neither Nintendo or Sony are so different in the long run. Nintendo is doing it with innovation and getting a buzz, Sony is doing it with convention and tradition of their gaming model for the last two vastly successful generations of gaming.

People tend to complain about Sony a lot with their pomp in the last few years, but I think they sorta earned it in the PSX and PS2 eras. Another thing is that Sony has been more focused on the games at hand and have spurred many 3rd parties to make exclusive games for them or even make revolutionary 3D games. It has happened before, and I'm sure they'll try to spur the innovation within the games themselves again. Even if the hardware may not be as impressive to casual onlookers since all they did was put their machine specs and online aspects to a higher level.

I guess I'll just say this is where we reach our agreement on the subject. But one thing:

But I'm not sure what they're doing is a death knell to the gaming industry or death to Sony or anything like that.
I don't know if you're implying that you think this is what I said, but that's not what I said at all. Here's a quote from me from earlier in this thread
I'm sure every console will do well enough
See? I said it.

I wasn't trying to say that you specifically were jetset against the PS3 or Sony in particular. Though I can understand, since Sony as a whole company has been going through overhauls and some rough times in the last few years. But a lot of the internet buzz around the PS3 IS negative after all. And Sony obviously dropped the ball in their marketing tactics with Nintendo and even Microsoft of all companies looking rather humble and straightforward in their offering in comparison. It seems that the people anticipating the PS3 are the silent majority. Even though a lot of polls and such show that people are off put by the price alone. But polls are polls and gamers buying something is another. The DS wasn't too popular upon its announcement either. And look where it is now.

So.... How 'bout them graphics?

Why are we talking about such retarded issues anyways? Let us discuss when we will be getting a PS3...

I think I might get one around 2010 if the price drops around then...

I have to play MGS4 and DMC4, that and White Knight Story looks freaking awesome. I hope to be able to play those in like the next 4 years or something.

So last night EBGamestop announced (via e-mail if you're on their list, I dunno if they announced it any other way) they'd be taking limited preorders for the PS3. From what I heard, people pretty much immediately started lining up for it so today Gamestop said they had significantly more people than preorders. I kinda feel sorry for the people who waiting in line since like 3 this morning just to be denied a preorder lol.

I wonder how much Sony is going to hype that their system sold out so quickly when it comes out... I mean, you have a market that would happily take a couple million units, but they only made and shipped about 400 000. "Yeah, we totally sold out in the first week. Let's see the other guys say that! HAH!"

Is anyone else getting tired of the bullshit that Sony has been spewing the last couple of years?

Is anyone else getting tired of the bullshit that Sony has been spewing the last couple of years?

yes

EDIT: I think it's kinda funny that lots of people tell me they wanna get PS3 at launch when I'm at work but every time I ask them what game they wanna get with it they say "I don't know."

That's the end of my Sony hate for now.

I wonder how much Sony is going to hype that their system sold out so quickly when it comes out... I mean, you have a market that would happily take a couple million units, but they only made and shipped about 400 000. "Yeah, we totally sold out in the first week. Let's see the other guys say that! HAH!"

What would be hilarious is if they said stuff like that(ie, predicting their console is gonna sell out and making a big deal about it) and it turns out the Wii also sells out at the ridiculous number of units it has. ;)

And for your amusement... http://pressstarttoplay.net/comics.php?date=051214

Now get back to the Wii thread! Sheesh.

So, did anyone pre-order a PS3 today?

Yeah, that's actually a good question. Preorders were open for about 5 minutes*, weren't they? Did anyone on OCR managed to snag a preorder in that time?

The Damned: Pssh. Only Nintendo fanboys don't like Sony. Now stop trolling and get back to where you belong! ;)

*Well, maybe it was 10.

Reports from various points around the US and Canada are that there were only 16 units for each store, and that they quickly sold all the "pre-order" slots. According to some, the way it works is that the deposit doesn't get you a system; it only gets you a spot in line when it arrives. So if you get a spot, and then somehow miss getting to the store when it goes n sale... well, you might be able to get yours on EBay for a few thousand bucks.

I wonder if we'll have reports of muggings and shit like with the PS2. I suspect that people are stupid enough to try it.

EDIT: Just when I thought the stupid things Sony says were done for now, they serve up a new shovelfull. That's just... wow.