Sony PS3

Bigfoot

three!!! how many will be in stock?

I wonder what sonys deal is why are they making so few of them?

Issues with production of blue laser diodes. Sony is putting out as much PS3s as there were Xbox360's I believe when it launched, but the Xbox360 didn't have competition to deal with.

What's so hard about making blue laser diodes? You just need to dope Gallium with Nitrogen so it has a precise energy level of 3.34 eV in a way that doesn't distort the crystal structure, despite the fact that Nitrogen's coordination number is 3, far more volatile than other types of diodes.

Silly Sony!

Can't they just put some blue plastic in front of a red laser or something?

They'll do that when they release the PS3 SP lite.

Yeha I heard about that, from what I understand Nintendo and sony have begun talk of joining forces once again, as back in snes`s early devlopment stages.

Here's an invitation for wild speculation:

Like everyone else who plays games and doesn't have a trust fund, I plan to wait for the PS3 to come down in price pretty drastically before buying one. The thing that concerns me though, is that the initial price is so high that if the price drops like it has with other consoles it'll still be like $450 5 years from now. For instance, I think PS2 was $299 at first. Now it's like $129. So the price has only been cut 170 bucks over all this time. A PS3 with a cut like that would still be $430, which is still more than a lot of people are willing to spend on a console.

Do you think they'll just make huge price cuts over the years, like $100 at a time? Does the cost of manufacturing electronics decrease in proportion to the original expense? I hope so.

My guess is that it will go down by roughly the same percentage - so whereas the PS2 was $300 and now $130 (reflecting a ~60% price cut), the PS3 will go from $600 to ~$350. That is still quite a lot though, which makes you wonder. Also, it may depend on how fast blu-ray catches on, if at all. One of the driving factors for the PS2's price drops was getting it out there as a cheap DVD player. Sony may try to cut the price more in an attempt to increase the number of people who adopt blu-ray.

My guess is that it will go down by roughly the same percentage - so whereas the PS2 was $300 and now $130 (reflecting a ~60% price cut), the PS3 will go from $600 to ~$350. That is still quite a lot though, which makes you wonder. Also, it may depend on how fast blu-ray catches on, if at all. One of the driving factors for the PS2's price drops was getting it out there as a cheap DVD player. Sony may try to cut the price more in an attempt to increase the number of people who adopt blu-ray.

Yeah, that seems to be Sony's strategy. Most people will buy the PS3 just to have a PS3. But unless you are some kind of technophile maniac, why would you buy a HDDVD player when you already have a Blu-Ray player? And if someone is shopping for a Blu-Ray or HDDVD player, a lot of them might think, "well, if I buy a PS3 I'll get an affordable player and a kickass game system that will rock my plasma screen." Sony is making a somewhat risky move that could end up making them a whole hell of a lot of money if they could have control over the next big media format. They've tried it a few times with MD and Betamax with limited success, but if you bundle it up with the already enormous success of the Playstation they might have a chance.