OCR03282 - Super Mario 64 "Frosty Britches"

Liontamer

I felt the sleigh bells stayed for too long. That and they were slightly piercing to me. Last note at 1:15 could have stayed a little longer to build a more fluid transition with the accordion. This is indeed too close to the original, so the sax solo at 1:26 was a welcome addition, (though it had some reverb while the other saxes didn't, which makes it inconsistent on the production side). Also, I think the outro lasted for too long, repeating the same portion over and over with very little variation (the cymbals at 2:17 were a bit loud too).

Anyhow, I enjoyed when the saxes went wild and the outro with the guitar stab. Looking forward to future tracks from you guys.

I agree that it was pretty conservative and that the early saxes were pretty wide and upfront compared to the narrow accordion; I also think the sax solo was odd being mixed wide (when that, if not for the volume, kind of draws attention away from it a little bit). But I do think the sax solo helped get it over the bar in terms of interpretation, and while this is a pretty faithful arrangement, I liked the guitar, solo sax, and drum performances the most. The drummer seemed especially excited. Those fills!

The saxes sound a bit weird, but the solos make up for it. I really like the fusing of the saxes and more rock-y instruments, like the guitar and the drums. The source is very fitting for a Christmas album, and it's adapted very well. Pretty cool (ha) mix!

Pretty sick remix! I really like the instrumentation (dat sexy sax), which reminds me of Mario & Zelda Big Band Live. The sax solo was definitively a highlight. I'll agree with some of the production details, but who cares when you have such a fun remix? ;) Nice job! Keep them coming! :D

Oh, and I see what you did with that title lol

Thanks for the comments, everyone! We recorded this almost a full year ago (wow!), so we've already improved on a lot of what's being mentioned. It feels great to finally be contributing after following the site for so many years.

9 hours ago, Chernabogue said:

which reminds me of Mario & Zelda Big Band Live.

I LOVE THIS ALBUM and I'd be lying if I said the encore didn't influence this track

I really like the mix in general, it doesn't sound bad, but I noticed some thing that I would like to highlight (at least for me) :

The beggining was a little bit odd in my opinion, too long until the drum kicked in, you start to hate the jingle bells a little bit, but then it blends good with the song.

The other thing is the sax that enters at 1:26. It has a strange reverb, like too much.

I liked the end of the song too :D but just those things I pointed out. Nice Job

8 hours ago, Jakos said:

The other thing is the sax that enters at 1:26. It has a strange reverb, like too much.

This was a purely stylistic choice; we were going for an Elvish-esque vibe to complement the rock'n'roll feel.  I suspect it would have blended more smoothly with better panning and a fuller rhythm section, but we wanted to keep this tune relatively simple and decided to stick with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03282 - Super Mario 64 "Frosty Britches"
  • 2 months later...

I'm not going to lie, I did the same thing as a few others and misread the title the same way. I have no regrets. :D Still, I love this saxy little tune and how it pretty much embodies the whole spirit of the Snow Mountain with the accordion and Christmas tunes showing up in the end. It might be a tad short in length, but this ReMix covers a lot of ground and really nails the jazzy/rock style. It even has a great seasonal opening that fits the source and the guitar felt like it belonged, striking the right tone. Great holiday tune for sure.