Guitar settings in FL Studio?

3 hours ago, Winning900 said:

Thank you. Also, I forgot to ask: From that Sugilite song, what was that "Dog barking" sound, and was it actually a dog barking? 

At 0:15? No, it's some sort of short sampled EDM "cheer" sound.

2 hours ago, Winning900 said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IBvl-AdnHGY&itct=CBsQpDAYASITCKye2MC9hMoCFdSTFgodvGMGHzIGcmVsbWZ1SOvXksOqkcuDEA%3D%3D Also, this song has violins and other orchestral instruments that sound great. How do I recreate those in FL Studio?

You can't. Not in a way that sounds "great" anyways, and not in a way that can be fully described in a short, concrete manner.

The short answer is that you'd need good sample quality, and the time and dedication to practice and get your sequencing skills up to par with the sample quality.

You'd need an actual, dedicated orchestral sample library, on the order of a few hundred to a few thousand USD, such as East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra ($195~995), Vienna Symphonic Library (plain expensive), Spitfire Albion (~$500), and so on, and a lot of practice writing actual music. Depending on how good you are at figuring out what you need to improve on as you work with these instruments, it may take a few months to a few years. It's not easy, and it's not overnight.

Despite what many people like to idealize, you can't actually do everything with free crappy sounds. It sucks, but it's true. :/ No amount of manual labor short of writing your own DSP algorithms for physical modelling (at that point you should be making money as a VI developer) can get you to realistic, expressive instruments.

Working with low quality sounds is all about hiding and avoiding writing passages that expose what's crappy about those low quality sounds, and that's not really actually a good way to learn how to write music. It's a defeatist method of creativity of "how do I sound as not bad as possible" when ideally it should be "how do I sound as good as possible". Let's say you have a trumpet with great sustains, but crappy staccatos. You end up not really writing staccatos in your music because it sounds bad, so it's closing doors for you.

As rosy as it is to encourage others to make the best of low quality sounds, if you want real, you have to shell out. You can make low quality sounds sound good, but you can't make them sound real.

On 30/12/2015 at 0:50 AM, AngelCityOutlaw said:

I know this is subjective, but personally I think that lead guitar sounds terrible. If it has that "woo" sound as I call it, I wouldn't aspire to sound like it. This likely is due to choice of pickups, EQ and lack of, good, wide, speed-modulating vibrato that suits the tempo. The lack of the latter why most sample libraries are garbage for lead guitars.

Here are some lead guitars I think sound great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKfWnXCAwg  

https://youtu.be/jNU3cz5eXPQ?t=3m19s 

https://youtu.be/u9_SEr-ORyk?t=2m25s 

The key to getting good lead "tone" comes in getting a "warm" sound from an amp sim based on a valve amp, often with only as much gain as is require to get a pinch harmonic. Also, it's a good idea to pinch sustained vibrato notes. Try a set-up based on an old peavy, mesa, marshall or soldano with a tube screamer in front of it and not a "distortion pedal" of the metal zone variety. Also make sure you have plenty of mids and use a good stereo delay to give it all a sense of space. After that, the most important part is to play with bends, harmonic and noticeable vibrato. The occasional palm-mutes on faster runs on the low strings is also a good technique. 

Also, use the bridge pick-up unless you want a "bluesy" sound on the high notes - then use the neck pick up. Most sample libraries don't let you switch pick ups though as far as I know.

Dude, you were right, your guitar links do sound better. I liked your post.

4 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

You can't. Not in a way that sounds "great" anyways, and not in a way that can be fully described in a short, concrete manner.

The short answer is that you'd need good sample quality, and the time and dedication to practice and get your sequencing skills up to par with the sample quality.

You'd need an actual, dedicated orchestral sample library, on the order of a few hundred to a few thousand USD, such as East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra ($195~995), Vienna Symphonic Library (plain expensive), Spitfire Albion (~$500), and so on, and a lot of practice writing actual music. Depending on how good you are at figuring out what you need to improve on as you work with these instruments, it may take a few months to a few years. It's not easy, and it's not overnight.

https://m.soundcloud.com/aivisura/steven-universe-sugelite I mean the sound that starts playing once per beat from around 30 seconds in on this track, you can also hear that barking dog sound in the "Sugilite returns" track, if I posted that. I'm not sure I did.

Anyway... that is a lot of money i don't have. Is there something online that I can do to get that kind of money?

1 hour ago, Winning900 said:

https://m.soundcloud.com/aivisura/steven-universe-sugelite I mean the sound that starts playing once per beat from around 30 seconds in on this track, you can also hear that barking dog sound in the "Sugilite returns" track, if I posted that. I'm not sure I did.

Anyway... that is a lot of money i don't have. Is there something online that I can do to get that kind of money?

oh, the percussion sound that plays in place of a snare. I'm actually not sure how to make it, but it seems metallic with maybe some plate reverb (which may sound metallic sometimes) or something to match the industrial genre aesthetics. Maybe @lazygecko has an idea?

15 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

I think i just added him as a friendhttps://m.soundcloud.com/aivisura/steven-universe-sugelite I mean the sound that starts playing once per beat from around 30 seconds in on this track, you can also hear that barking dog sound in the "Sugilite returns" track, if I posted that. I'm not sure I did.

On 12/31/2015 at 7:19 PM, Neblix said:

Working with low quality sounds is all about hiding and avoiding writing passages that expose what's crappy about those low quality sounds, and that's not really actually a good way to learn how to write music. It's a defeatist method of creativity of "how do I sound as not bad as possible" when ideally it should be "how do I sound as good as possible". Let's say you have a trumpet with great sustains, but crappy staccatos. You end up not really writing staccatos in your music because it sounds bad, so it's closing doors for you.

As someone who wrote music using only midi and low-quality sounds for several years, and then used EWQLSO Silver, (which lacks many sounds more expensive versions have,) I can attest that this is true.

you people are helpful and nice.

Also, YES I was right about the guitar song reverse thing. But from that same song... what was that sorta-pianoish "dowowo, dowowo, dowowowooo... (three notes getting higher) (higher note, then a lower note and lower note than that" thing that plays after the guitar plays a few bars? It sounds really beautiful and happy and peaceful and ethereal, if there was a magic harp made from dew leaves dropping water on a lake of faries and unicorns and stuff, it would sound like that. How do I get that sound in FL Studio?

Well, I got that by layering three octaves. A mid percussive sine wave (for the "body"), a mid-high glockenspiel and vibraphone (same octave), and a high percussive sine wave (for the "sparkle"). It's simple to make the sine wave layers, while the glockenspiel is Ethan Winer's free soundfont, and the vibraphone is from Fluid R3 GM, another free soundfont.

I played the vibraphone, then the mid sine, then the high sine, then the glockenspiel. Then, I played all of them together without any (external) effects, then with NastyDLA MKII (which I already told you about), then with NastyDLA MKII and only Fruity Reeverb (1), then with NastyDLA MKII and only ArtsAcoustic Reverb.

https://app.box.com/s/p6t6zce9n6qqmxem00bkxhanlbf063fy

Keep in mind that there was no external EQ whatsoever, though you should still EQ this.

2 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

Well, I got that by layering three octaves. A mid percussive sine wave (for the "body"), a mid-high glockenspiel and vibraphone (same octave), and a high percussive sine wave (for the "sparkle"). It's simple to make the sine wave layers, while the glockenspiel is Ethan Winer's free soundfont, and the vibraphone is from Fluid R3 GM, another free soundfont.

I played the vibraphone, then the mid sine, then the high sine, then the glockenspiel. Then, I played all of them together without any (external) effects, then with NastyDLA MKII (which I already told you about), then with NastyDLA MKII and only Fruity Reeverb (1), then with NastyDLA MKII and only ArtsAcoustic Reverb.

https://app.box.com/s/p6t6zce9n6qqmxem00bkxhanlbf063fy

Keep in mind that there was no external EQ whatsoever, though you should still EQ this.

Thank you for the awesome bell sound, but I meant the more echoey one that starts at 0:28 and also ends the song with the faded-out sound.

I never said it was precisely the same sound. I said, "I got that by . . . ", meaning "here's my attempt". The general quality of that sound is that it's a bell sound with one octave for "body", one octave for brightness, and one octave for the metallic "sparkle", plus some reverb for ambience and delay for nuance. So, I approached making the sound thinking like that. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, because we don't know what the soundsource was. This was an attempt.

The parts where it sounds like a bubble forms around the sound and it shrinks, the sounds fading out quickly, or the bubble grows and the effect or EQ is removed, sounding like the bubble popped. And by "High parts", I meant the background music played on... synths? Electric pianos set to make those sounds?