Guitar settings in FL Studio?

Hey,

You should avoid asking endless strings of really vague questions. It's great to want to learn, but you need to be considerate of the effort other people are putting in to help you.

If you want to know about how certain sounds are designed, you need to provide timestamps and links for the music in question. Avoid incredibly vague descriptions like "by high parts, all the instruments that aren't the bass drop part" or "a bubble forms around the sound and it shrinks, the sounds fading out quickly". Realize that sound perception is different to each person, and so even if what you're saying makes sense to you, it probably won't to other people.

This forum is a place to get help, but you need to be willing to put your own effort in. You should put some thought into your questions before posting them. Also, please try taking the time to write in complete sentences. It will actually help us out a lot in understanding what your questions are.

15 hours ago, Winning900 said:

By high parts, I mean all the instruments  playing in the song that aren't the bass-drop part.

And by bubble... a small shrinking bubble happens around 2:02, 

Still pretty unclear what you mean. I think you might be talking about this song.

If so, are you referring to the sound at 2:07? I can't hear anything that resembles a "small shrinking bubble" at 2:02. The sound at 2:07 is a reverse kick drum, though, and that might be "bubbly" to some people if the kick drum has a noticeable pitch envelope (a dive downwards in pitch; reversing a sound that dives quickly downwards in pitch can sound somewhat like a bubble, I suppose). Is this what you mean?

Can you describe the "high parts" more specifically than instruments "[not in] the bass-drop part"? What you said corresponds to almost anything.

On 12/01/2016 at 5:46 PM, Neblix said:

Hey,

You should avoid asking endless strings of really vague questions. It's great to want to learn, but you need to be considerate of the effort other people are putting in to help you.

If you want to know about how certain sounds are designed, you need to provide timestamps and links for the music in question. Avoid incredibly vague descriptions like "by high parts, all the instruments that aren't the bass drop part" or "a bubble forms around the sound and it shrinks, the sounds fading out quickly". Realize that sound perception is different to each person, and so even if what you're saying makes sense to you, it probably won't to other people.

This forum is a place to get help, but you need to be willing to put your own effort in. You should put some thought into your questions before posting them. Also, please try taking the time to write in complete sentences. It will actually help us out a lot in understanding what your questions are.

I'm sorry.

Yes, that was what I meant. Sorry about the sound perception.

I'm... not really sure how to put it, but... there's a singer. (Except it is actually not a singer, it's Vocaloid, but it doesn't matter) And while that singer is singing, instruments are playing. In my mind, I see some kind of keyboard player hitting notes on his keyboard to make those sounds, sorta like a guitarist would use chords to make his sounds. (Even though it might be a launchpad instead. Sorry) I know how the bass drop part is made, but not the rest of the song. I'm asking how to do that, and produce a song with instruments similar to this one.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid or mean. I'm not really a music expert, but I'd like to learn. I watched those tutorial vids, and you have all been amazing and helpful so far. I love each and every one of you. This site should have a dogecoin thing where we can pay people who make good posts or songs with coins too worthless to mean much on their own, because it's the thought that counts. And I will post my music here when it is finished, so all of you can see how amazing you will help me to be.

• 3 weeks later...

This song contains an awesome almost-8-bit synth lead(I think it switches between genuine 8-bit and an epic synth that sounds like it but fuller and better), an awesome electric guitar, an awesome orchestra hit-ish sound, some kind of bass violin this around 122, and a proper 8-bit lead thing that starts around 0:31. What are these instruments, what are their VSTs, and how do I get my FL Studio to sound like those?

It seems like you have a lot of questions regarding specific sounds or styles, and asking us to pick them apart may take a long time between replies. Luckily, there are actually better resources out there for these kinds of questions!

Let's address VSTs first.

Sound hunting is hard, and even companies that create Karaoke versions of tracks have difficulty matching a sound, and sadly, not all of us are wizards of waveforms. The best thing you can do is see what free VSTs have to offer you, and not discrediting them because they are free. Popular dubstep artist Savant actually creates most of his sounds in FL Studio with free, already included software such as 3xOsc. It might seem a little daunting at first to mess with these knobs, but google "3xOsc tutorial" and you'll find tons of guides on how to get great sounds using just the basic package! Starting out can be rough, but playing with those settings for a bit will make you think, "pff, who even needs the sound [specific song] had? This sounds way better!"

While I can't address your Megalovania questions, I can say that 3xOsc is a great place to start - if you want to make 8bit sounds, you might also want to look into magical 8bit plug

If you feel like you've reached the limits of what you can do with a particular plugin, try using filters! Filters can manipulate a sound to pretty much be anything. Think of filters as "effects".  Want to make your piano sound like a guitar? FL Studio's Hardcore can definitely do that for you. Here's a video I made where I just mess with filters to make a single free piano plugin (PianoOne) sound a little more interesting (I even skipped to the actual track for you ;))

Someone earlier in the thread linked to other resources that I think are worth checking out, but I definitely recommend seeing what Sonic Academy has to offer: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS972vXt4jnzkMlvHngalEg

Also, I apologize if it seems like I'm demeaning your music creating experience by telling you to go back to the basics - but sometimes, it helps. Pre-made samples are nice, and using another person's instrument tone is a great place to start, but all of this starts with a little bit of self-research. Playing around in oscillators can help you understand how some sounds are made, and looking at tutorials will help you master how to get the sounds you want out of your DAW/VSTs of choice! Heck, even Toby Fox himself (the person who wrote the track you last linked) has a FL Studio tutorial that covers some basic things here: http://tobyfox.net/Tutorials/FLBasicTutorial.html

TL;DR: There are likely better resources than OCRemixers - while we're happy to help, Youtube will probably be your best bet in learning how to get the sounds you want. (start looking through Sonic Academy uploads! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS972vXt4jnzkMlvHngalEg)

Anyway, post things you make in the Post Your Original Music! section of the website, receive critique, improve, repeat.

Ok. Also, thank you, this will help a lot. I didn't know the Undertale maker used FL Studio.

I messed around with the stuff you said to mess with, and I've got the FL Keys piano to sound like a metal guitar. Also, I've made a remix of the Pokémon gym battle theme. It isn't as good as some of the epic stuff I've heard on this site, but should I post it anyway? Can I improve from that?

On 2/1/2016 at 7:41 AM, Winning900 said:

Ok. Also, thank you, this will help a lot. I didn't know the Undertale maker used FL Studio.

I messed around with the stuff you said to mess with, and I've got the FL Keys piano to sound like a metal guitar. Also, I've made a remix of the Pokémon gym battle theme. It isn't as good as some of the epic stuff I've heard on this site, but should I post it anyway? Can I improve from that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Undertale/comments/3onbmq/what_software_does_toby_fox_use_to_make_the/

On 2/3/2016 at 3:44 AM, Winning900 said:

Wait. what happened to the 8-bit part at the beginning? It just stays quiet awkwardly for the start seconds.

I'm not sure about that. The only time I've had missing parts via FL Studio is when I export a project(.WAV, .MP3, etc) before the VSTs have loaded. What are you exporting it as? What export settings are you using?

Are you exporting the song or a pattern (is the loop button above the Pattern rack highlighted? That's Pattern mode)? You should be writing your parts in separate patterns to make it easier on yourself when it comes to organization. As for the actual track, the guitar is just not good. Listen to a real guitar on a youtube video and compare, then see what you think. They don't sound similar at all, right? (Yes.)

I would not bet on a simple 8-bit VST to not load completely by the time the project has loaded; it shouldn't have that large a sample size. I usually have to wait on only sample libraries.

EDIT:

By the way, @Winning900, it would be nice if you actually edited your posts by clicking Edit and not post short posts multiple times. It clutters the topic with posts that don't really do much good scattered about. You can also delete past posts by clicking Options -> Delete.

I'm not trying to mini-mod here but I'm not sure if "reporting" or PMing a mod is the right thing to do or not and I don't want to report a thread that really is just people trying to help.

However, this thread threw me off for a second when I clicked on it because I seem to remember it being about VST guitars in FL Studio. But @Winning900 is now asking a string of production questions completely unrelated to the OP. I would recommend rather than asking a string of such questions, focus on one or two things at a time, put them into practice in a composition or remix and then get feedback on them in the Workshop forums. It will be easier and more organized to focus on improving one thing at a time that way and you'll have examples of your own work there right from the get-go.  

4 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

As for the actual track, the guitar is just not good. Listen to a real guitar on a youtube video@Winning900 and compare, then see what you think. They don't sound similar at all, right? (Yes.)

This is true, I think Winning900 should drop trying to emulate a guitar sound for now, make a simple saw-wave sound using TAL Noisemaker or equivalent, and just focus on arranging for now. But if a whole VST is missing, I don't think I can comment on that aspect of the song now.

I don't think anyone can get a good guitar sound without spending lots of money, or contacting a real guitar player, but I don't want to discourage anyone from writing for guitar entirely, considering that I wrote orchestral songs for years before it ever started sounding like one.

I'm very sorry. I forgot to give the link to you to the song. I fixed the 8-bit, it was my fault because of the 32x.

edit UPLOADING. THE SONG. AS WE SPEAK.

edit IT'S TAKING SO LONG. While it's uploading, I want everyone to know you are very kind, supportive, and helpful. I am using that thing now instead of guitars, because it looks like I might need one of those expensive ones first. Are expensive VSTs for guitars and orchestrals worth the price? 

http://picosong.com/8tyd

HERE IT IS