Arrangement name: Adventurer's Rest
Song arranged: Daguerreo, The Hermit's Library
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
System: PlayStation
Developer: Squaresoft
Publisher: Squaresoft
Date published: 2000
Original song link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-spdn-1aU

After noticing I'd been doing a lot of epic orchestral pieces lately, my wife and music guru Teresa came up with the idea of doing something simple and relaxing. She suggested giving the Daguerreo track from FF9 a rustic acoustic treatment, drawing it from it's stately classical sound into a more folky, relaxing mountain cabin setting.

So I got to writing and playing over the holiday weekend and this was the result. Maybe the cool breezes of early summer helped too. In any case, I wanted to make a nice easy listening piece, something you can curl up and read a book to, or pour your Log Cabin maple syrup to.

Featured instruments: nylon guitar, harp, zither.

Enjoy!

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flux02NIUDE

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 5 weeks later...

Wow does that guitar sound good, such amazing tone and mixed just right.  I like this tune so much better played on a real vs. midi guitar.  The arrangement overall is quite conservative, but there are little variations in the melody that set it apart just enough for me.  I am really enjoying the additional elements of the harp and zither.  I'm not sure what instrument takes the lead starting at 0:57 but I think it's too quiet to be a good lead there, and it's mixed well in the back.  The guitar performance is just so good though.

My issue with this track is unfortunately that the arrangement consists of two identical playthroughs of the same material.  I layered 0:55-2:28 together with 2:28-4:00 and they are identical as far as I can tell.  If there are any differences between these two sections (possible additional guitar layering, maybe?), they are too minor to discern.  Layered together like this, every guitar pluck is exactly the same.  What a shame, that's the dealbreaker for me.  Even so, I really enjoyed this.

NO 

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/05/26 - (1N) Final Fantasy 9 'Adventurer's Rest'

This is a lovely adaptation of the source tune that’s very cleanly produced and adeptly performed, but unfortunately I feel like this doesn’t go much further than that. The track hews VERY closely to the source tune both in terms of style, tempo, and actual notation – Kristina correctly points out some moments of personalization but I don’t personally believe there’s enough development to set this apart from being a cover. This really is an improvement over the original song, and I love the little harp/zither enhancements throughout, so you should be proud of yourself for what you’ve created here. It’s very well done.

However, in order to pass the bar, I feel that you would need to introduce some more variation from the original, especially in the 2nd half of your arrangement which is just a retread of the first half of the song.

Sorry to be a downer, I enjoyed listening to this as a standalone piece but you’ll need to get a bit more interpretive with the track as a whole in order to pass OCR’s bar. Best of luck if you choose to resubmit!

NO

• 5 weeks later...

Nice production. I agree with the other judges here that this feels too close to the original. You have some great sounds and articulations in the guitar, but I feel the small nuances that set this apart are too subtle on the arrangement side to bring this out of cover territory. Don't get me wrong, your version sounds better than the original, but I think more needs to be done here in your arrangement to pass. Would love to hear you take this further.

NO