Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma - History

Drawn by Dai

I should also say; @Odai is in full approval of my taking over of this project, I totally don't have him tied up in my basement taunting him with sporadic updates on the albums progress...

He's going to be staying on as our resident artist and spiritual support in the background. As the originator of the project as a whole it would suck for him to have nothing else to do with it, so he'll still be around, lurking, like a Welsh spectre.

Ahem... I am totally not being held against my will...

In seriousness, I want to say I'm overwhelmed by the immediate reaction to Trism's reopening post. I'm humbled for the project by the positivity displayed despite the way I left everything.

I reckon you folks deserve an explanation about what's been happening since April 2017. The thing is, when I put the project on hiatus simply for a bit of temporary breathing space, I didn't know it was the beginning of nearly 2 years of complication for me and my family, including borderline poverty, eviction, mental health and death. It's been a rough ride and I'm telling y'all this not for sympathy but for the explanation I feel you deserve. I'm sorry about the way I left it, and the way I stopped providing updates too. Life took centre stage and, well, yeah, whatever... Apologies.

Things are still complicated for me at the moment (though it's easing), and I but I can think of nobody better to take the mantle of this project than @Trism and I'm excited to see how things finish up. I might have left the project for a while, but it never left me. :) 

Thanks once more everybody for your involvement in the project, continued support and belief in Trism. If anybody can get this project flying again, he can. Hopefully you guysngals won't mind me popping 'round every now and again to see how things are getting on.

Odai. 

Thanks for the explanation Odai. Very sorry to hear about all the challenges you and your family have faced in the last two years. I've had to deal with deaths in recent years as well, and know what it's like. I've not had the other issues on top of it, so it's totally understandable that a volunteer music project would take back seat. Life is more important!

We're glad that you're on board with Trism taking up the mantle and finishing things off. We hope to do you two proud. :)

Please hang around when you can. 

Take care!

Jean Of mArc

• 2 weeks later...

**2 WEEKS POST-RESURRECTION** 

The two week 'grace period' is over and I've got to say I'm extremely pleased with the amount of people who have returned to the project. We have no less than 15 finished tracks from before we went on hiatus and from wonderful remixer's who finished their tracks while we were away. @Chimpazilla has also very kindly agreed to return as our resident mixer/masterer for the project, so I'd like to say a massive thanks to her as well.

Sadly however there are a few people who have decided not to rejoin or haven't been back to the site for quite a while and as such haven't replied to my message from two weeks ago. As such there is a brand new list of source track available for claiming, which is included below. I'll be asking @Odai to update the opening post in due time to reflect this as well. If anyone is interested in picking a source please drop me a DM and we'll discuss further.

I will be looking to get this album done, dusted and delivered by December 19th, 2019, which is the anniversary of the EU release date of the game (thank you for pointing that out, @Jorito!) That means that we'll need to get all tracks finalized and evaluated by September in order to give the site staff time to do their thing. 

Due to the slightly tighter deadline I'm going to be asking remixers for updates every 2 weeks, not necessarily a full WIP update but just a check-in at the very least, though I will of course be flexible where the need arises (I'm not a *complete* monster. Mostly.).

AVAILABLE TRACKS:

DISC 1: REST (Generally calm and ambient/happy)
Sanctuary
Nomads in the Desert

DISC 2: QUEST (Generally upbeat and positive/driven)
Overworld

DISC 3: BATTLE!  (Generally dark and brooding/heavy)
Dr. Beruga
Boss Fight

A massive thank you to everyone who has returned or even just responded to my increasingly delirious messages over the last 2 weeks. The real work now begins in earnest. 

Edited by Trism

Good to see some activity here again! I did dust off my arrangement of Crysta and was able to recruit some help for it... I think it's gonna be pretty cool ;)

Two-weekly WIP updates might be a bit much for a hobby project, IMO. Life has a tendency to get in the way and leave you unable to work on music, in my experience. Frequent check-ins/status updates (maybe just monthly in stead of bi-weekly) rather than WIP updates might be an alternative to consider for such cases. For Resonance of the Pure Land that worked quite well, as a means of keeping each other updated and to prevent radio silence and ultimately dropped tracks, but ymmv. Just sharing some ideas here!

Looking forward to get this going again!

*A MINOR ANNOUNCEMENT*

(By which I mean the announcement is quite small, not in the key of A minor. Unless you want to sing along to this post of course. That's totally your choice.)

I'm happy to announce that @Jorito will be joining the project staff as Co-Director and @Odai will be moving across into a Project Advisor role. Jorito has a lot of experience with getting album projects completed and up to the required standards, and Odai (as the OG project creator) is staying on to provide assistance where he can and will generally be around the place. Both of them will be copied into all direct messages with remixers so don't be surprised if they weigh in on WIP feedback or similar.

Thanks again to everyone involved with the album.  

**EXCITING NEWS**

We have enlisted the help of @Sir_NutS and the further help of @Chimpazilla to create a 'mock judges panel'. @Jorito will be joining them to round out the team as well. We'll be using this panel to go over the completed tracks for the album and see if they are up to the standard to pass the OCR panel of judges. If a track is not up to standard then I will contact the remixer privately and will relay the panels feedback to them. MASSIVE thanks to Sir_NutS and Chimpazilla for agreeing to help out with this and continued massive thanks to Jorito for everything he's done to help get the project moving again.

In other news, we have some new sources available! These were tracks that @Odai and myself decided to omit from the list when the project started up a few years ago, however neither of us can remember why! So here they are, ready to be scooped up by whoever wants them. If you're interested in claiming any available track please feel free to get in touch.

DISC 1: REST (Generally calm and ambient/happy)
Origins

DISC 2: QUEST (Generally upbeat and positive/driven)
Shopping
Amusement

DISC 3: BATTLE!  (Generally dark and brooding/heavy)
The Gaia Stones

In other other news; we're changing up the deadlines for WIP's and whatnot going forward. Instead of a fortnightly check-in regime we're going to be asking everyone to essentially give us progress updates as and when they happen, preferably over the course of a month or two. Relatively frequent contact will be appreciated, just so we know you're still working on the track or if you need more time due to life stuff. With that in mind, if I've already given you a deadline with a certain date please disregard and get in touch with an update when you have.

That's all for now! Continued thanks to everyone involved with the project as always.  

6 hours ago, Trism said:

We have enlisted the help of @Sir_NutS and the further help of @Chimpazilla to create a 'mock judges panel'. @Jorito will be joining them to round out the team as well. We'll be using this panel to go over the completed tracks for the album and see if they are up to the standard to pass the OCR panel of judges. If a track is not up to standard then I will contact the remixer privately and will relay the panels feedback to them.

I'm a little confused by this. Will the tracks for the album have to pass a juding panel to be accepted onto the album? Or is this just for more extensive feedback in order to maximize quality potential?

35 minutes ago, Jean Of mArc said:

I'm a little confused by this. Will the tracks for the album have to pass a juding panel to be accepted onto the album? Or is this just for more extensive feedback in order to maximize quality potential?

The latter; we’re just trying to help make the tracks as good as they can be, to make the release cycle smoother and to prevent delays in post production. Look at it a bit like how the workshop moderators are working here; they will evaluate the tracks that are labeled ‘finished’ and will pass back the feedback to you with a ‘yeah, this would probably pass album evaluation in the final production stages’ or a ‘hmm, you probably should have another look at X before submitting’.

Also pointing out that any OCR-A (official OCR) album has to pass through an album evaluation by OCR staff. Not all tracks need to pass to be on the album, but there is a threshold that has to be met before OCR can accept and post the album. This is regardless of this mock panel we’re introducing, that’s mostly here to give you feedback earlier and to maximize your track getting a ‘yay’ during album eval.

Hope I explained it well, but don’t hesitate to ask for clarifications if I didn’t.

12 hours ago, Manji said:

I'd love to tackle Return to Mother Earth (Ending/Credits) but I'll need a couple of people to collaborate with on it (not sure I can do it justice on my own!) Got the beginnings of a fairly straightforward acoustic guitar version of it, so if anybody else wants to join in and make it a team effort shout up :)

I'm not an instrumentalist or performer, but I do have some connections... what did you have in mind? Maybe I can help find collaborators!

• Liontamer changed the title to Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma - History
  • Liontamer locked this topic