Chrono Trigger 'Cataclysm' - Last Day of the World/Schala's Theme [Post-Rock/Cinematic]

Emunator

I know, I know... there are literally already 20 remixes of Schala's theme on the site. I don't think anyone's ever done it quite like this though! ;)(There's a hearty dose of 'The Last Day of the World' too, to pair it with something a bit less-often touched.) I am considering this remix finished, but I wanted to share here anyway because I'm really proud of this track!

So, last October I visited Theophany, my longtime friend and one of my favorite musicians of all time, for a weekend and we had a chance to speak at length about our music making processes. That visit gave me a huge burst of inspiration and almost immediately when I returned home from the trip, I began work on this track. It features plenty of my signature bells and pads and a heavy focus on atmosphere, as always, but I think you'll agree that this is far different from my usual style.

I wanted to create something dark, brooding, and extremely dramatic to really capture the larger-than-life spirit of the Chrono Trigger storyline. I took a lot of inspiration from film scores like Inception, post-rock bands like Sigur Ros and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and of course, Theophany's own music.

I've worked very hard to push my personal envelope with this track, and I feel like the last 2 minutes of the song in particular are the best thing I have created to date as a musician. Hope you enjoy! :)

PS: Just for fun, here's a picture of my finished project file! This mix took about 30-35 hours of solid work to complete.

Dude, this is awesome! It feels dystopian, or apocalyptic. I love that 2:38 breakdown with the reverse strings and FM textures! In the last two minutes, the way the low strings move with the background Schala makes for an interesting feel, almost like a very slow countermelody. Really evocative stuff. This is definitely your best work so far! :D

Oh mah gawd, @Chimpazilla, @Liontamer, you guys need to hear this.