2016 - The Year of Nintendo Anniversaries (And some other guys, I guess)

The Damned

So, 2016 is full of Nintendo games celebrating their 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, 30th and even 35th years. Seriously, check out the dates.

• Donkey Kong - 1981 (35th)
  • Metroid - 1986 (30th)
  • The Legend of Zelda - 1986 (30th), Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages - 2001 (15th) and Twilight Princess - 2006 (10th)
  • Kid Icarus - 1986 (30th)
  • Pokémon Red and Green (Blue)- 1996 (20th) and Diamond and Pearl - 2006 (10th)
  • Luigi's Mansion - 2001 (15th)
  • Pikmin - 2001 (15th)
  • Golden Sun - 2001 (15th)
  • Animal Crossing - 2001 (15th)
  • Wii Sports - 2006 (10th)
  • Super Mario RPG - 1996 (20th)
  • Mole Mania - 1996 (20th)
  • Harvest Moon - 1996 (20th)
  • Mario Kart 64 - 1996 (20th)
  • New Super Mario Bros - 2006 (10th)

As others have pointed out, it's also the anniversaries of several other video games. NOT JUST NINTENDO!

• Dragon Quest - 1986 (30th)
  • Crash Bandicoot - 1996 (20th)
  • Sonic The Hedgehog - 1991 (25th)
  • Castlevania - 1986 (30th)
  • Alex Kidd - 1986 (30th)
  • Arkanoid - 1986 (30th) MOTHERFUCKIN' ARKANOID!!
  • Battletoads - 1991 (25th)
  • Spacequest - 1986 (30th)
  • ToeJam and Earl - 1991 (25th)
  • Metal Slug - 1996 (20th)
  • Quake - 1996 (20th)
  • Jak and Daxter - 2001 (15th)
  • Okami - 2006 (10th) HOW OLD DO YOU FEEL NOW?
  • Saints Row - 2006 (10th)
  • Resident Evil - 1996 (20th)
  • Bubsy 3D - 1996 (20th)
  • Tomb Raider - 1996 (20th)

And that's just the ones I could think of/look up on Wikipedia. I'm sure there are a few of the more obscure ones, like Japan-only releases. Not to mention the GameCube and the 3DS are also 15 and 5 years old, respectively.

Damn, that's a lot of stuff that's getting old. Now I feel old...

So, who wants to do 10 remix albums within the next month? :< Kidding! A lot of these games came out in January or February, so it's too late for any kind of massive project. But we can still show our appreciation for these anniversaries!

I'm looking forward to seeing what they will do for Zelda. The new Wii U Zelda, from what we have seen so far, is looking pretty damn good, aesthetically and mechanically. But until it's out, who knows? All I know is that I still love playing Link's Awakening and I'm glad I went to the concerts they've had over the last few years.

Pokémon is 20 this year! To celebrate, Nintendo is releasing the original Pokémon games on the 3DS. You can download Red, Blue and Yellow this February 27th. It's almost identical to the original versions, with one exception: it will emulate the link cable system using the 3DS wireless, so you can still trade and battle! Also, comes with a code to download a Mew for your 3DS games!

Golden Sun! I never completed the second game, and I missed out on the third one for the DS, but that doesn't change the fact I loved the first game. I'm hoping for something to commemorate the first game this year, even if it's nothing big and fancy.

Anyone else a bit excited for what Nintendo is planning for these anniversaries?

Other Nintendo-related anniversaries:
*Dragon Quest (30th)
*Super Mario RPG (20th)

2016 really is full of amazing anniversaries. And man I was already feeling old when people were celebrating Kingdom Heart's 10th anniversary, and hearing about how it was their first game XD

On 5/1/2016 at 5:53 PM, DarkeSword said:

Instead of doing 10 remix albums, why not do one with a track from every anniversary game? Could be cool.

I actually started working on a Tomb Raider mix today in order to celebrate Lara Croft's 20th Birthday this year -- 25 October 1996.

If this Anniversary Album is going to be produced, I'd love to join in with this track :3

1 hour ago, DarkeSword said:

Certainly an easier way to give recognition to smaller games/series that might not get the steam for its own big anniversary tribute album.

I do love me some obscure/under-remixed stuff.

Interested in running it?

If you mean me, as much as I'd like to to, I can't grantee I can devote the time towards it. If you mean someone else, then ignore the previous sentence.

Maybe a better system would be to have a director assigned (by vote or volunteering) to a year, and then compile a list of games/series that are having an anniversary that year. This way, we can have at least a year for each album (if not several years, depending upon the year you get) and have as much time as we need to plan it and remix it.

It's more like, I don't know if I will have the time. My work is highly irregular: 2015 consisted of working 6 or 7 days a week, from early February to late September, with only a few days off every month or so. But the year before was a month or so a job, with two to four weeks off between. I simply have no idea how busy I could be this year.

That's power plant/oil refinery/whatever the hell they throw us into for ya!

If things don't turn out to be too busy by February, I'll reconsider, though.