[Danger] Breakcore, a Boulderdash Remix

Skrypnyk

Dnb or Break?  

718 members have voted

1. 1. Dnb or Break?

• Drill n Bass
    • Breakcore

Ahhh double posting...it's sad how sometimes for some reason certain WIP's get overlooked on these forums.

FYI I am listening on shitty headphones. Haha no ending so far? I have WMP set on repeat I didn't even notice, I thought the song was still goin on.

Ok, synth/pad that playing in the background starting at 1:07, it's in the beggining too needs to be changed. Good idea but the that particular synth just ain't doin it for you. Instrumentation overall needs some beefing up. The basic things you have done with mastering and production provide some nice effects but the overall soundscape needs work.

You do have some variation in the drums and percussion but there needs to be more. You could run parts of this through a granulizer for some effects.

This one is prob only gonna be around 2-3 mins max. There is only so much you can do with the source. So prob add one more part for varitiation and add an ending of some sorts. Overall this is a excellent groundwork to work off of. But this mix needs to be kicked up a knotch in all areas. Keep working at it this one has got potential.

Well, people (probably) don't like listening to remixes to games they haven't played, and since everyone (appearently) has played Chrono whatever, they tend to get more replies.

Yes, no real intro/outtro yet. That's probably going to come at the end ¬_¬`

I agree the overall soundscape needs work. I'm trying to keep it simple, yet full, and I have noooo clue how to find that balence. Gotsta keep mess about.

Thanks for the comment :)

Nice. Everything here is pretty well done. I liked the synths you chose though at times they sound a little chiptune-y, especially around 1:05. I didn't mind the part at 1:07 but I think it sounds a bit too analog-y there. I think the instrumentation could be a little more varied. There are a bunch of little beeps and things you used that I think could be more prevalent at certain points. The sixteenth note pattern around 0:33 sticks out a little too much I think, and the melody that comes in around 0:41 is buried.

but yeah this sounds good so far.

The reason the 16th notes are sounding louder then they should is either cause the velocity in the piano roll isn't doing anything, or it's the compressions fault.

Little update. Finished the first minute or so of the drum pattern, sorta looped the end of this (unsure what's gonna happen next actually), a little more tweaking. More mastering needs to be done (probably).

Same link.

Thanks for the comment.

Yeah, I agree that the chosen instrumentation (?) is a detractor. And I don't like the farty noises that the bassdrum continues to make.

I'm not really sure whether I want to say drawing board or not here because it's mostly the sampling that's suffering. I'll be interested to see what you come up with...

I know with IDM, there isn't suppossed to be a wrong way of making it so I'll just say this.

I am really not feeling the synths you're using. Trying some other ones with the same notes see how it sounds.

My biggest peeve is that drums are kinda too predictable(relatively). Try and screw them up some more. Try using the Apache break. I think breaking that apart for this track would sound better than the techy single hits you have now.

Good luck bro.

wow, people are noticing this topic now =o

And from what I'm reading...you guys think this song has potential, it's just the sample choices are bleh.

My mission, along with getting it to atleast 2 minutes, was to immitate Aphex Twin. Taking the drum sound from 4, the pad sound for cornish acid, and the bass...well...I wanted something like cornish acid but that is a skill on it's own.

I still have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I kinda like what I have, on the other, I think I could do better. I just don't know how D=!

So if I make a break-thru in this song and come up with something, I'll update. I'll try fuxxoring around with the drums some more.

After you've rendered out a master track that you're happy with, pull the entire mix into soundforge or goldwave or whatever, and do another pass of snipping/chopping/stuttering at a couple of those breakdowns.

It would help keep the listener quessing, as the super-snippy IDM drums start to sound a little repetetive after the 1-minute mark.

What you've got so far is an excellent start though. Keep working on this.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmk

As of...2 days ago, I moved away from the whole Drill n Bass/Aphex Twin idea, and have decided to kill peoples ear drums.

a.k.a. Breakcore.

Here's an example of what it will be like

Now, I'm letting you people decide. I have the original Drill file saved, so going back to it shouldn't be that hard, but if you like the breakcore idea more, I shall continue that instead. If you do like the breakcore version more, I'm probably gonna change the synths around as well, make it more darker, distorted, and all around unpleasent :)

And with 3 votes, breakcore wins.

What a landslide.

Over the last couple of days, I took what was a simple slicing of chiptunish goodness, and created something that has my speakers crying in pain.

This has gone into to some pretty experimental stereo fuckery, and this is still only the intro D=!

Now, while I...pretty much gaurantee that I will complete this, I dunno how well (well?) it'll turn out.

I'm sure I can get over 2 minutes though =D .

Warning: The sounds you are about to hear were created by a white boy living in Canada. So for your own protection, please do not play in public places, do not play while in the shower, and do not eat this MP3

Thank you