DKC3, Cave/Factory theme DnB Remix [WIP] !

Cyan

I've been working on this for a month now, it has progressed slowly, but today I decided to make it a sort of public WIP to gain some feedback. Genre is electronica, with some DnB stuff.

I used mostly the Cave theme, but incorpated a bassline from the Factory theme as well. Oh, and the game is Donkey Kong Country 3 by the way.

Originals:

http://jimmyem.googlepages.com/DDT-Factory.spc

http://jimmyem.googlepages.com/DDT-Cave.spc

REMIX:

http://jimmyem.googlepages.com/Cyan_DKC3_Caves_WIP.mp3

Note that this is about 70-80% finished. I know the intro is mixed a bit to loud, and I haven't paid to much attention to the overall mixing yet... It has to be a real ending as well...

Feedback please!

Damn, where'd all the DnB pop up from all of the sudden?! VG Massif :slayer:

Interesting drumwork, the actual arrangement rarely hits DnB style instead staying more around Trip-Hop style rather than DnB, so calling this DnB isn't really right, its more Trip-Hop than anything. That aside, the drums are nice but get old after time, they stand out too much to be as repetitive as they are without things just getting old, try switching between drum "sets" or "glitching" up your arrangement.

As for melodies and stuff, they seem nice but overall this piece may need a bit more variation, good start though.

i agree with doomsday on the arrangement parts. I think you should throw in a pad behind everything. The soundscape sounds a lil bleak in the beggining. I know its the intro but it could use more.

For some nice variation parts of this arrangement melody/harmony wise that get recycled throughout the song you could certain parts through a granulizer for a real nice change of pace.

Also the last part of this especially the part that had the flute and that bass. it was only there for about 10 secs...that was awesome! Needs to have it own section.

That's some funky, grungy sound you've got there. A fair variety of ideas and motifs, too. I'm liking this one a lot. I haven't got much to say in the way of critique, but I'd like to hear this when it's nearer to 100% completion... It's very different, in a good way.

DKC3's caves have never sounded so happenin'!

I especially like the echoing notes that first appear at 0:20, and the whole mix of sounds heard at from 1:09 is pretty darn sweet also.

Yay, DKC3! Yeah, I didn't manage to download any more than the first few seconds, but I kinda liked what I heard. The cave melody was playing at half tempo at the beginning though, which kinda bothered me.

Also, has anyone heard the song "try again" by Aaliyah? I reminds me a ton of the song that plays in the treetop levels with the giant saw blades... I think it's called "Treetop tumble" in the sound test.

Nice stuff so far, but I think that the mix is without any direction. There are a lot of ideas in it, but hardly any of them get really used. As soon as something starts, it's almost over.

Furthermore, I think that the "intro" is a little to long. The song picks up speed at 1:56, and that's almost after half of the track. Too late IMO.

• 1 month later...

I liked this quite a bit.

The key change helps it out quite a bit, but as others have said add a layer or two on top of what you've got and maybe explore another idea or two in more depth.

I'm liking the direction you're taking this. I'd love to see a polished version hit OCR.

I really like the intro, too. I'd say don't make this mix too much longer at risk of stretching the source tunes, but yeah. Add some layers in there as it sounds just a bit dry or empty at times.

MMMMM Funkaliscious... Finally we getting some DKC3 love on the boards... I've tried to do something but its turning out meh :P...

I like it how it is but I know other posters are nit picking at some stuff so I guess they know best. Don't give up we need some DKC3 love :D

2:34 was a crazah "nice change of pase" section I like it :D