Genre for Megaman X Style Metal?

Irnon

We all know that the Castlevania's musicical roots can be traced back to classical, romantic or possibly even baroque roots but can still easily be mixed into a metal sound.

But what genre of metal would you most likely classify the Megaman X series?

Other then generic metal the only thing I can think even kind of resembles MMX is Children of Bodom's Powermetal.

The X series is just so upbeat that I think it's the upbeatness is what seperates it from most other metal genres. That and obviously being composed by several people at most and not full blown bands. The above videos lyrics aren't necessarily upbeat but the instruments themselves definitely are.

I feel like there are probably japanese bands that are inspired by either the X or Castlevania series that I don't know of.

Perhaps synthmetal? Sorry if this topic doesn't belong here but I didn't know where else to put it.

The music of the Megaman X games definitely was inspired by 80s metal and rock. Didn't the 5th game literally name the bosses after Guns N' Roses members.

Anyway, I'd say the MMX games soundtracks remind me most of Yngwie Malmsteen, Symphony X and Tony Macalpine.

Case in point. I think these tracks are similar in style

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I def spaced out when it came to MMX5 and Infinity Mijion witht he Final Countdown.

That Tony Macalpine guy is def he closest  I've heard to a band replicating the instrumental style of the X series so far, especially with the guitar tone.

I'm listening to his album where Key to the City came from and it kills.

There's also lots of faster, more rock/metal-like jazz fusion which has always been a heavy influence on Japanese game music. I remember hearing some fast fusion track from the late 80's which sounded like it came straight out of Mega Man X, with the same orchestra hits and stuff. I think it might have been from Russ Freeman/The Rippingtons.

The answer is basically 70s/80s prog rock, the stuff that inspired any number of Japanese vgm writers, like deep purple, kansas, etc etc. 

I wouldn't classify the MM music as any form of metal. It's the remixers job to make it that. Any similarity to metal as a result of hearing remixes is purely coincidental and circumstantial. 

I found that Rippingtons track. It's called Earthbound from the 1989 album Tourist In Paradise. Of course, it's nowhere to be found on YouTube nor Spotify... I know I heard it on YouTube years ago, and fittingly one of the comments said it sounded like it came straight out of a MMX game.

On 2016-01-19 at 8:28 PM, Irnon said:

Nice song, I assume you did it. It sounds familiar is that from Fist of the North Star?

It's Tony Macalpine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2016 at 3:59 PM, lazygecko said:

I found that Rippingtons track. It's called Earthbound from the 1989 album Tourist In Paradise. Of course, it's nowhere to be found on YouTube nor Spotify... I know I heard it on YouTube years ago, and fittingly one of the comments said it sounded like it came straight out of a MMX game.

i take it you mean this track:

it was the first result upon searching for "earthbound rippingtons". it does sound quite nice and like it might go well in a mega man game.

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this thread to add in some music that I always thought had that Mega Man X vibe. They are songs that I always recognized "motiffs" of MMX in. I find this subject highly interested and would love to know more bands that really capture that early MMX vibe. Hell, some of these could have been inspired by the game's OST for all we know!

Iced Earth & Blind Guardian - Beyond the Ice -- Reminded me of some of the more metal oriented level themes, maybe even some end bossfights.

Metal Gear Rising OST - Red Sun -- Come to think of it, this game plays a lot like a AAA 3D MMX game with Zero.

Celldweller - Unshakeable -- Always reminded me of some fire themed factory level like Flame Mammoths stage.

Periphery - Sentient Glow -- This band is heavily influenced by game OST's. The guitarist (Misha Mansoor) even has some FF7 track remakes.

Skyharbor - Out of Time -- The chord progression really reminds me of an MMX track

The Fall of Troy - Mouths Like Sidewinder Missiles -- Pure overall megaman vibe.

Avenged Sevenfold - "Blinded in Chains", "Burn it Down" -- There are more tracks from this band, but they have a pretty close sound to how MMX-series OST tracks sound a lot of time. You can tell this band and MMX OST's came from the same source material.

Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain - One part worth noting is at 1:50 you can see a little bit of the Split Mushroom stage sound coming out(it's very loose, mainly drums). Maybe both were inspired by the same source?

That's all I got for now. There are many bands and other songs that have similar sounding styles.

As a bonus, here is a track from The Reign of Kindo that could fit in an oldschool Megaman game with a little tweaking:

The original version is pretty good too!

Edited by Conclude

• 1 year later...

Oh sweet child, 

On 3/25/2020 at 12:03 AM, Conclude said:

Resurrecting this thread to add in some music that I always thought had that Mega Man X vibe. They are songs that I always recognized "motiffs" of MMX in. I find this subject highly interested and would love to know more bands that really capture that early MMX vibe. Hell, some of these could have been inspired by the game's OST for all we know!

Iced Earth & Blind Guardian - Beyond the Ice -- Reminded me of some of the more metal oriented level themes, maybe even some end bossfights.

Metal Gear Rising OST - Red Sun -- Come to think of it, this game plays a lot like a AAA 3D MMX game with Zero.

Celldweller - Unshakeable -- Always reminded me of some fire themed factory level like Flame Mammoths stage.

Periphery - Sentient Glow -- This band is heavily influenced by game OST's. The guitarist (Misha Mansoor) even has some FF7 track remakes.

Skyharbor - Out of Time -- The chord progression really reminds me of an MMX track

The Fall of Troy - Mouths Like Sidewinder Missiles -- Pure overall megaman vibe.

Avenged Sevenfold - "Blinded in Chains", "Burn it Down" -- There are more tracks from this band, but they have a pretty close sound to how MMX-series OST tracks sound a lot of time. You can tell this band and MMX OST's came from the same source material.

Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain - One part worth noting is at 1:50 you can see a little bit of the Split Mushroom stage sound coming out(it's very loose, mainly drums). Maybe both were inspired by the same source?

That's all I got for now. There are many bands and other songs that have similar sounding styles.

As a bonus, here is a track from The Reign of Kindo that could fit in an oldschool Megaman game with a little tweaking:

The original version is pretty good too!

Nice collections of metal songs, really. 

• 3 months later...