Donkey Kong Country - Aquatic Ambience (Bitlegs Deep Dive into Oblivion Remix)

bitl3gs

I disagree, but thanks for listening anyway.  Taking more inspiration from atmospheric drone and meditative ambient here, it takes patience and I know it's not for everyone.  Track length is also not a concern of mine, this one unravels and changes at a snails pace intentionally.

curious what you consider "personality" though.

17 minutes is actually really long for a song (especially one that is atmospheric, slow, and ambient). The fact is, only one ReMix on OCR is more than 15 minutes or so (unless you count the three-part Smash Bros. rap as one track, which is about 23 minutes). One. And it is an energetic genre. :P Just for some perspective.

If we're using my argument that this is ultra-conservative, it sounds like you're using elements of the original piece through-out this mix, but you aren't incorporating anything that defines you as an artist/remixer/producer.  You can argue that the ambient/drone approach defines who or what you are, but I see this song as a "really slowed down Dave Wise track" and not necessarily a "bitlegs remix".

no paulstretch used on this one, but I do use that for layering in textures in some other works.  elements were isolated into individual channels, several layers of slowly evolving fx chains on each, and tempos stretched into varying speeds to change the melody phrasing with the key changes in the arppegiating synth.  It sounds more like this with something like Paulstretch or other standard timestretch.

I don't drastically change much of the original in most cases, just trying to make things more atmospheric but still nostalgic.  So technically you could call it more of an edit or sound upgrade if you want, I could care less what it's labeled as, as long as I like how it sounds.