Super Mario Galaxy - Comet Observatory Remix

DavorMajdandzic

I've been doing music for about 8 years now, but never tried my hand at doing a remix of a track from a video game. I took the Comet Observatory theme from Super Mario Galaxy, and tried to give a more dreamy and relaxing feeling, kinda trying to paint the picture of how Mario would fly through space in the game. My friend just recently showed me this site, so I thought I'd share this and see what people thought. 

Here's the original:

Very cool. I haven't seen too many SMG remixes lately. Though I really appreciate the effort displayed here, I can't help but feel the song is very...bare. From 0:00 to 0:20, the initial pluck and the strings try to build tension in the mix and set up for the next phrase where the main melody comes in, however I feel like it falls short because there just simply isn't enough happening. Ambient tunes are usually dependent on the textures it explores, enveloping the listener in a world of sound.

Moving on, the kick is nice in the mix and 0:42 onward I'd say this is where the most motion occurs in the song. The harp breakdown at 1:06 is a nice touch but I feel a background pad would help fill out the rest of that segment. When the strings kick back in (at 1:28) it feels a little too sudden. Maybe a reverse cymbal with some delayed reverb might help? Some sort of uplifter to help people ease back into that motion usually feels a little more natural. I really like the subtle bongo pattern at this part, but it feels like it cuts off too quickly.

Overall, I really like this. It ends a little too early for my liking but with what you've displayed here shows that you're knowledgeable in some aspects of a digital audio workstation. There's definitely room for improvement though. Thanks for sharing. :)