Chrono Trigger-Tyrano Lair

YoshiBlade

a Long Long Time ago I learned to play guitar to the tunes of Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana and then I switched from a guitar to a MIDI controller and a very small percent of me feel like I should go back to hard rock...well thats not happing ME!! But I did make this track for a Compos a while back and it somewhat satiated my desire to make heavier sounding music and TBH I really thought I did an OK job, but it didn't draw too many looks...so here I am to figure out why and remedy the situation. Other than that, how grandkids doing Bev? 

Remix http://compo.thasauce.net/files/Yoshiblade_-_Get_T_Rektx_d_m8(MnP32).mp3

Org 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Man, slipped through the cracks, then the response slipped through the cracks, then your next response almost slipped through as well... Damn, you've just got all the luck.

Anyhoo, time to correct this, I suspect.

EVAL

I do like this source, and I'm happy that you tackled it. Metal is very appropriate for this one, too - it's just begging for something like that. Your playing seems pretty good, and the drums are clean and punch through the track quite well.

The tone of the guitar, though, is generally very thin. It sounds like the middle and low end are lacking. When it's strictly a lead, the guitar tone is passable, but for anything else it doesn't have the frequency range to fill the soundscape at all, so everything ends up sounding hollow and incomplete. Your guitar tone needs more midrange, and possibly even a little more bass, as well.

Speaking of the bass, it's very quiet in this mix, so it sounds like there's no bottom to the soundscape. That bass definitely needs to be more prominent, especially since it's often the primary connection to the source. The drums, as nice as they are, absolutely drown that bass out. You'll definitely need to make that bass more prominent in the mix.

The arrangement sometimes loses me. The guitar sometimes sounds like it's not meshing well harmonically with the rest of the instruments (mostly the bass). I like the effect at 0:45 with the guitar, but at 0:55 - 1:04 for example those harmonies do not make much sense. You should re-evaluate what's being played there and see if other harmonies work better.

Overall, the style has a lot going for it, and the performances are not bad, but there's quite a bit of work that needs to go into this one. Hopefully some of what I say helps, but as it is this wouldn't pass the panel.

Woo, it only took... er, six months for an eval. Awesome. :|