OCR03296 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "La Gran Fuente de Salsa"

Liontamer

I really like the combination of the acoustic sounds & the delay in the intro. The feel is very airy and pleasant. However, for my ears the harmony and melody don't work together at all at several points, making a good portion of the tune feel very random. Particularly the chord choices for the acoustic guitar don't seem to support the melody on the piano. This is too bad, the sound and feel of the arrangement are really great. Intro and outro were really nice. Looking forward to future work for sure!

I agree with @evktalo, while the acoustics did sound nice, there were times where the harmony and melody together were a little more distracting than atmospheric. And sometimes there would be those bubbly synth noises in the background that made me think "what's going on now?" Those took me away from the atmosphere this track was trying to create as well. It's not a bad track, it's just not as relaxing/atmospheric as it could have been IMO.

Personally I had a hard time wanting to listen to this piece. The beginning of the song was quiet, very quiet. I had to turn up my headphones (very nice ones mind you) to almost 100% volume. At first I thought it was just me, but I listened to other songs too (several from OCremix) and those were the correct volume. So I went back to the song (still with my volume high) and at about the 0:35 mark I get a ear blast from the song. There wasn't even a gradual raise in volume, it just slammed my eardrums with noise. This was a poor job in Mastering the song.

The second issue I seemed to have with listening to the song (even after the ear blast), was what previous people had mentioned. The instruments used don't meld and mesh very well at all. The piano seems to be playing the melody, but the acoustic throws that off. At times I can't tell if the acoustic is playing the melody or if the piano is. I think this is because the piano is placed (audibly) in the background (so it is harder to hear) and the acoustic is placed somewhere between the foreground and mid-ground. Because of this, it's hard to tell what instrument is doing what. I can somewhat hear the Great Fairy's Fountain melody being played on the piano, but because of its placement it's hard to tell.

Along with that, the beat that the percussion is trying to set seems all over the place. You should be able to tap your foot to a beat of a song (even ones that don't have drums), but I can't follow what the beat is in this song. The drums give a "up and down" feeling (like a Roller Coaster), which throws off the usual "feeling" you get when listening to the Great Fairy's Fountain theme.

Overall, I think this song needed a lot more work before being posted. It's hard to follow and the sudden volume change in the first 30 seconds is startling. There is not even a "lead in" for the volume change. Just an ear blast.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03296 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "La Gran Fuente de Salsa"
  • 3 months later...

Alright, I can see what the ReMixer was going for here with the tropical salsa arrangement, and to an extent it works, but for me there was a tad bit of an issue where I had to focus on either the piano or the acoustics, or else I would lose the thread altogether. The piano sounded good, though, and I can appreciate the attempt as I think this was a good idea, but there were melody things going on that probably could've used a tightening or two. Not bad by any means, but there is room for things to be reworked to make it really good.