USB input for imac?

Malcos

Now first of all, I know NOTHING about apple macs. My friend has a mac, and he wants to get a mic and add vocals, etc. So I'm gonna help him set up. But then I realised I had no idea if he had any sound inputs on the damn thing. He's got one of these:

http://www.apple.com/imac

I'd like to know if there is an interface I can get that will stream the audio through USB input, in order to give him some buying options. If not I'll just let him get a Samson C01U, the easiest and cheapest solution!

Macs use FireWire, PC's use USB. FireWire rocks USB's boxers.

I'm not sure if there's a converter or something though, or an interface that has a USB input and FireWire output . I tried googling "usb firewire converter" and it didn't look to promising.

What are you talking about? Both systems use both types.

There is some crappy device called the iMic that basically is an awful usb audio interface with one line in and one mic in. Sound quality is terrible though. Other than that, all you can do is get that mic you mentioned or a real firewire or usb2 audio interface.

There isn't even much difference between USB2 and Firewire. They're both fast enough to provide for a good external audio interface.

There are kinds of I/O boxes you can buy at Guitar Center for a few hundred bucks, and sometimes they come with software. I know a guy who bought a MBox that came with a small version of ProTools [LE right? 17 track recording] for around $300 or so. He had some problems getting it set up, but he was using a PC. Dunno if it's any different on a Mac.

Macs use FireWire, PC's use USB. FireWire rocks USB's boxers.

I'm not sure if there's a converter or something though, or an interface that has a USB input and FireWire output . I tried googling "usb firewire converter" and it didn't look to promising.

What are you talking about? Both systems use both types.

Bwahaha. Whoops :oops: I fubbed it.