Xenoblade Chronicles - Surfing with Zanza

Furorezu

Hi all, I'm new to OCR, decided to join since I've been working on some game remixes on my own time for a few months. I'd like to get some opinions on one of my remixes based on Xenoblade Chronicle's "Xanthe". I'm a big fan of surf rock and so far, every single one of my remixes have been along the vein of heavy surf rock. I'm mainly concerned about production so if anyone has some pointers based on my recording, I'd like to hear them, I want to eventually start submitting stuff to the judges. Thanks!

Original

Very good job on guitar, but the whole composition is unbalanced. The percussion and rhythm guitar are really soft, and it takes away from the "extreme" that I was expecting from the title. Probably a solid 3.5/5. Great shredding, but issues with balance. Keep up the good work!

Edit: Also, you should add reverb to all of the instruments. I noticed that the guitar had a lot of reverb, but the drums and bass are dry. Not sure if this was intended, or just something you missed.

5 hours ago, larrynachos said:

Very good job on guitar, but the whole composition is unbalanced. The percussion and rhythm guitar are really soft, and it takes away from the "extreme" that I was expecting from the title. Probably a solid 3.5/5. Great shredding, but issues with balance. Keep up the good work!

Edit: Also, you should add reverb to all of the instruments. I noticed that the guitar had a lot of reverb, but the drums and bass are dry. Not sure if this was intended, or just something you missed.

Thanks for the feedback, larrynachos! I've messed around with the song a bit more, implemented your feedback about the tracks not being balanced and added reverb to the drum track. As for the drum track, I went back to the sequencer and adjusted each piece of the kit's volumes and panning so I hope that it sounds a lot better in that regard. In my opinion, I think now my lead guitar sounds too soft in comparison to the rhythm but maybe others will have a better ear/insight than I. Anyway, here's the new recording, feedback is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I've come to realize that trying to produce the song in Audacity wasn't going great so lately, I've been learning on how to use Reaper and using a parametric EQ to make my song sound much less chaotic. I'd like some feedback on some 30-second samples from the song in which I've used two different tones. Both have the same EQ settings as well so here are the factors I'd like feedback on:

• EQ balancing
  • Guitar tone
  • Bass guitar

Thanks!

Edited by SilverMage
Updated username on Soundcloud, broke previous URLs