Undertale - Hopes and Dreams + His Theme Remix

Just Coffee

So a skeleton goes driving on a highway and turns on his radio... who is he listening to?

I don't suppose it's not too crowded for more Undertale? Because here's an 80s-style remix.

Sources:

I feel like this might be a bit too close to the source because I think I'm too fond of the main melody to try and mess with the arrangement too much. I mean that game's soundtrack though, right? I also think some parts on the synth are clashing but I'm having difficulty spreading them out without proper headphones(they got ripped :-(). Anyway, I don't think I'm going to change the arrangement but I'm very open to ideas. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear some feedback.

Bonus(bone'us ha!) points for an answer to the skeleton joke.

Edited by Just Coffee

8 hours ago, OA said:

I thought this was awesome! Some of the synths do get jammed a bit together in a few frequency ranges but overall it's not that noticeable. I enjoyed it a lot and the chord changes, synth counter melodies, and rhythmic shifts you made were classy and cool. :-)

Thank you! What do you think about the arrangement? Does it get a pass at being distinct enough from the source or too close?

I think it's personalized enough in the smaller details. The structure is unchanged, which is fine. I'd vote yes to this as a judge. His Theme seems to be just a tiny easter egg at the end, unless I missed a quick reference earlier in the track (EDIT: I did, around 3:20). I remixed both of these themes earlier, and you if you listen to my version, you can hear I didn't do much with the structure of the overall track either, but personalized the smaller details to a degree that it was a unique arrangement. 

To polish the production a bit, i'd focus a bit more on panning the counter melodies to give some space, and maybe have a bigger build to the ending, so it doesn't feel as abrupt. 

I really enjoy this though, and I'd personally love to see this on the site. :-)

15 hours ago, OA said:

I think it's personalized enough in the smaller details. The structure is unchanged, which is fine. I'd vote yes to this as a judge. His Theme seems to be just a tiny easter egg at the end, unless I missed a quick reference earlier in the track (EDIT: I did, around 3:20). I remixed both of these themes earlier, and you if you listen to my version, you can hear I didn't do much with the structure of the overall track either, but personalized the smaller details to a degree that it was a unique arrangement. 

To polish the production a bit, i'd focus a bit more on panning the counter melodies to give some space, and maybe have a bigger build to the ending, so it doesn't feel as abrupt. 

I really enjoy this though, and I'd personally love to see this on the site. :-)

I listened to your remix(awesome btw) and I see what you mean. I'll see about panning stuff on the later parts. As for the ending, I'm thinking of maybe gradually playing it down to a calm instead. I'm not so sure about ending it like that now that I've done too much combing through. I hope I can be confident enough in this to submit soon. Really appreciate the feedback!  :)

I'm really digging this. My only "complaint" is the key change at 2:15. It works really nicely, but...I feel like there's room for more exploration before simply going up a half step. I realize Hopes & Dreams does it the same way but it still left me wanting a little more.

That being said, this is still very enjoyable. 8-)

11 hours ago, LongBoxofChocolate said:

I'm really digging this. My only "complaint" is the key change at 2:15. It works really nicely, but...I feel like there's room for more exploration before simply going up a half step. I realize Hopes & Dreams does it the same way but it still left me wanting a little more.

That being said, this is still very enjoyable. 8-)

Yeah, I know what you mean. So far, I've tried a running lead up to the key change but nothing's worked for the moment. I might just leave it like that unless I stumble upon something. Thanks!