WIP: Command and Conquer - Act On Instinct

Spazdor

add guitars, or don't add guitars?  

720 members have voted

1. 1. add guitars, or don't add guitars?

• add guitars.
    • don't add guitars.

I realise this a first post in the deep end, but:

Overall, I liked it. You'll probably need to work in a bit more extrapolation of your own before submitting though; there isn't much here that deviates from the original.

The sound you used for the pad melody at 1:01 didn't quite jive with me. It felt a bit cliche, and I'm not too sure if it fits in with the grungy bass. But they never play together, so I could be wrong.

The production all sounds decent, at least on my cheap little headphones.

Like I said, it's not bad! I love the source and look forward to hearing future drafts!

Digging the stuttering voice sample in the beginning.

Grungy drums: always a nice thing (reminds me a little of CoLD SToRAGE), but overall, I think that they are a little to grungy. It makes the track sound kinda muddy. Same with the drums that have short appearances at e.g. 1:05 and 10:8/10:9.

Keep working on it; I like it so far.

Alright, I replaced that drum sample with something a little less dirty. Currently my next idea is to add some metal-distorted rhythm guitar to the main riff - I'm not sure yet if live instrumentation will sound too out-of-place in this highly synthetic-sounding mix.

Anyhow, here's the latest iteration:

http://spaz.mindstab.net/actoninstinct3.mp3

Okay, the drums you are using now sound way cleaner, but is that some clipping I hear there?!?

Next, digging that part from 0:46, but I think that was in there since V.2.

Alas, I don't think the sound that starts at 2:17 really fits into the piece. Too squeaky or something.

I take that you will make a real ending for this song? Because the fade doesn't fit such a powerful song IMO.

First of all, I like what you've done with this. Martin had some good comments though. The detuned pad at 0:46 is awesome, as was said. The parts in the upper registers give the piece more of a rave-y feel. Was that you were going for? The guitar sound at 2:17 could be a bit more distorted to keep in style with the similar sound much lower at 0:15. Finally, the decrescendo at the end was a bit...disappointing. If anything, I would suggest a crescendo; maybe ending on a short chord of that instrument that starts at 0:15.

Anyway, this is great. I don't think you need any additional instruments and its only minor modifications from this to a submit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

sorry to resurrect a thread like this. came across this post from Google. Specifically looking for AOI remixes...

Any progress on this? Quite like the latest version.

The reason for this post is because im making a mix of many different game soundtracks and AOI would be one to go on it - although I'm looking for remixes of cult classics.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, any progress on this? It kicks ass so far, although you should probably add more parts to it to make it a bit less repetative, and give it an ending.

Also, you have a name for it yet? I decided to call it "Dark Instinct", what with the kind of evil sound to the beginning part.