Your Hidden Gems?

Touchstone

Hey all, just a random post based off of a train of thoughts I've had.

Basically, a couple of months ago, I discovered the Ys series, an absolutely amazing series of RPGs...that no one seemed talk about. And then, as I looked more and more into other games I really enjoyed (Summon Night Swordcraft Story, The Last Remanent, to name 2), they were also seemingly forgotten by the internet.

But no longer! What are your hidden gems, games with great mechanics, stories, and/or music, that seem to be hidden to the rest of the world? Who knows, maybe I'm not the only one who likes Ys's bump-attack mechanic...

2 hours ago, Saitoshi_Sama said:

The Legend of Dragoon...very underrated game and should have honestly been continued, imo.

This. This so much. It may have followed every trope in the book to the letter, but it did it well. Aside from this, I'd also point to Way of the Samurai for PS2

Also Tales of Maj'eyal, a roguelike. It's free to download or can be bought on Steam to support the dev. Tons of creative classes and skill tree branches. You can be a time-manipulating mage and effectively tear the fabric of time through your meddling to the point where things around you are exploding and/or teleporting. Depending on how you build your character, that could be a good thing or a terrible thing. isn't that enough? Includes a classic "Roguelike" mode with permadeath, an Adventure mode(limited revives) or an Exploration mode for those who just want to enjoy the awesome story and lore.

2 hours ago, Chernabogue said:

Bug! on the Genesis (+ PC remaster). A very fun platformer with an nice ambiance and interesting mechanics.

Wasn't Bug! on the Sega CD?

41 minutes ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Jersey_Devil_PSX.jpg

I loved Jersey Devil! I remember it as being quite difficult, though this a 20 year old memory so I could be wrong :)

My hidden gems:

37056-Jumping_Flash!_[NTSC-U]-2.jpg

Playstation-PS1-Retail-ECE-NTSC-PS1-ECE-

I thought Bug! was a Sega Saturn game.  I'm pretty sure we're getting our Sega systems completely mixed up here. xD

Among the games I got for the PS1, I'd consider Klonoa a 'hidden gem' as hardly anyone got it, but to me it looked so beautiful and had a very unusual engine at the time - I mean, it works like a 2D platformer but the paths wind around a 3D map and could just cross over with each other at any time.  The presentation looked really lovely for a PS1 game at the time, and to this day it's still one of those few games that make me cry at the end.  I say try it out! :-)

Some more PS1 greatness

Jet_Moto_2_Coverart.png 

This game seriously needs a remake or new entry! F-Zero with floating motorcycles! It was tough as nails because they used ghosts of runs from the best players for the AI so the opponents always had near perfect runs, but man was it fun and that Chuck Meyers & Lance Lenhart soundtrack was the best. 

m3TUuEPPgOzIh911jrU4NXg.jpg 

My grandpa is a huge fan of the MediEvil games and beat 1 and 2 numerous times. He'd buy a next-gen console if they brought it back. Really good games.

e98ea-vigilante8box.jpg?w=346&h=343                                   star-wars-demolition-u-slus-playstaion_2  

Twisted Metal may have reigned supreme, but Vigilante 8 had a certain crazy charm to it and Star Wars: Demolition needs no explanation.

bomberman-atomicbomberman-cover_4467.PNG 

Not a PS1 game, but I just remembered this. BEST. BOMBERMAN. GAME. EVER. Billy West and Charlie Adler did the voices and it is absolutely hilarious. It's much more vulgar than the other bomberman games, really fast-paced and the animations for when a bomberman is cornered are also really funny. God damn, I miss this game.

The first wave of PSX games had some great titles but one that completely died in obscurity was this one,  Which no one seems to talk about anymore or even acknowledge that it once existed.  

2216514-krazy_ivan_box_front.jpg

Also ACO, if you are going to praise all of singletrac's early games for the psx and not mention the first Warhawk.  ...for shame.

15 minutes ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

I never played Warhawk

You're missing out on some of the most horrid acting and dialogue you'll ever hear in a game.  how this didn't make the list on Audio Atrocities is beyond me.  "Kreel's army can appear out of no where,  set up installations then vanish.  No one knows how or why."  best not to think too hard about that one.

the game itself is very much ripped from twisted metal.  All of the weapons behave in exactly the same way.  It's pretty much twisted metal with wings.  

2 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Some more PS1 greatness

Jet_Moto_2_Coverart.png 

This game seriously needs a remake or new entry! F-Zero with floating motorcycles! It was tough as nails because they used ghosts of runs from the best players for the AI so the opponents always had near perfect runs, but man was it fun and that Chuck Meyers & Lance Lenhart soundtrack was the best. 

m3TUuEPPgOzIh911jrU4NXg.jpg 

My grandpa is a huge fan of the MediEvil games and beat 1 and 2 numerous times. He'd buy a next-gen console if they brought it back. Really good games.

e98ea-vigilante8box.jpg?w=346&h=343                                   star-wars-demolition-u-slus-playstaion_2  

Twisted Metal may have reigned supreme, but Vigilante 8 had a certain crazy charm to it and Star Wars: Demolition needs no explanation.

bomberman-atomicbomberman-cover_4467.PNG 

Not a PS1 game, but I just remembered this. BEST. BOMBERMAN. GAME. EVER. Billy West and Charlie Adler did the voices and it is absolutely hilarious. It's much more vulgar than the other bomberman games, really fast-paced and the animations for when a bomberman is cornered are also really funny. God damn, I miss this game.

Holy hell....I forgot about JetMoto. That game was my life when I had it. Why it never caught on is beyond me. 

Sir Dan and Medievil....even though he was included in All Stars, his entire game needs a reboot. 

Star Wars Demolition definitely needs no explanation. My father and I used to play it all the time before it broke on us. 

I've only played Vigilante 8 once and for some reason, I liked it more than Twisted Metal. And unfortunately, I never got the chance to play Bomberman

19 hours ago, Kat said:

This. This so much. It may have followed every trope in the book to the letter, but it did it well. Aside from this, I'd also point to Way of the Samurai for PS2

Also Tales of Maj'eyal, a roguelike. It's free to download or can be bought on Steam to support the dev. Tons of creative classes and skill tree branches. You can be a time-manipulating mage and effectively tear the fabric of time through your meddling to the point where things around you are exploding and/or teleporting. Depending on how you build your character, that could be a good thing or a terrible thing. isn't that enough? Includes a classic "Roguelike" mode with permadeath, an Adventure mode(limited revives) or an Exploration mode for those who just want to enjoy the awesome story and lore.

Interesting. Might check that game out. 

Also, I'd like to point out LoD's soundtrack greatness....Some of its themes are on my hit list for a remix later on down the line. 

Let me also add this piece of hell yeah:Bushido_Blade_2_Coverart.png

Bushido Blade was what honestly pushed me into taking Kendo. It's soundtrack and story (at least #2's story) pulled you in with its unique gameplay. Definitely deserving of a reboot!

Batman for the GameBoy.

latest?cb=20110328081602

A fun little platformer, with a nice change of pace in the form of a bullet-dodging flying section. Lost of nerve-racking jumps over huge gaps, strategic timed weapons use,

You can pick these little flying batman symbols that act as a rotating shield, and you can speed them up with upgrades. Weapons range from a powerful short-range blast to a wave beam to a"tranq" gun that can shoot through walls and kill multiple enemies.

Oh yeah. In this game, Batman kills everybody. Planes, goons, henchmen, snipers, robots, flamethrower guys... if it moves, you shoot it. You shoot it until it dies. Exactly like the 1989 movie it was (loosely) based upon.

Shinobi 3 is one of my favourite games of all time.  People always talk about the Revenge of Shinobi, which has a pretty rad Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack to be fair.  But much less love is given to Shinobi 3.  I found it had a much stronger impact on me growing up.  The game plays AMAZINGLY WELL and holds up excellent to this day, and the music and gameplay both feel way more intense and satisfying than the Revenge of Shinobi.  Plus the animations and general level of detail are awesome.  The soundtrack also uses this motif throughout the game that just helps tie everything together so well.

Yeah I know the game is on several Genesis collections, and there's the odd remix done for it, but for some reason I don't see a lot of people talking about it despite that.  It's just kind of there, yet I think its one of the most well designed action platformers out there even to this day.  It deserves so much more love.