OCR01507 - Metroid Prime 2 "Torvus Clockwork"

djpretzel

I remember this from VGMix. All in all, I like Darke's first Metroid Prime arrangement better. This one could be good too, but (and I don't know if this is my headphones since this one cool bass part of Ziwtra's Soukaigi mix stopped working)* the bass sounds really soft in this mix. I don't really like the EQ levels is all I'm saying (not only on the bass)---things are too soft for me---but maybe I need new headphones.

Really simple piece of work, I guess could be perfect for chillaxing. Or Chill Axing.

*Part of edit*: Also, my main reason for paying attention quite a bit to this mix, before deciding that I liked the other Prime mix more, is because of my headph...er I mean, because I had just gotten finished playing Prime 2 (my first Prime game) and noticed similarities between these samples and those of the game to create a similar atmosphere. So those claiming to love this over it being from Metroid Prime aren't lying!

*(I have Sony MDR-7506. The wire got run over by my desk chair a lot so a wire's been exposed which I electrical-tapisized. It makes no sense that that Soukaigi mix part [2:19] would stop sounding cool unless my headphones got messed up. It's the same on both my sound cards so it's not that. Maybe someone can knows what I'm talking about and can PM me about this.)

(It's called going on a tangent. Some people can't handle incredibly minor things I guess. Either that or everyone in this community hates me for absolutely no reason. I'm voting for the 2nd option, since it makes the least sense.)

Could it be possible that this ReMix was circulating earlier? My brother - a self-confessed Metroid freak - has downloaded this from Limewire a few months ago... is that possible? I've checked the two files, and they're exactly the same...
Yes it can be, It was on vgmix for a while before they went down.

All I can say is that this song is really freakin' awesome and everybody sould get it.

This piece is extremely good. If the goal was to create an excellent atmospheric piece that could very well work to substitute the original song from the game, then this is a total success. If not, I don't care, it's still a total success. Wonderful piece.

I disagree with Pretzel's suggestions, though - giving the piece a more intense climax towards the end and changing the hihat would have completely ruined the feel of the song. In fact, changing anything in this song... bad. As for seeing DarkeSword make a piece that's grittier, more industrial... that wouldn't be so bad. I won't complain if he doesn't choose to, though.

I remember this from VGMix. All in all, I like Darke's first Metroid Prime arrangement better. This one could be good too, but, and I don't know if this is my headphones since this one cool bass part of Ziwtra's Soukaigi mix stopped working, the bass sounds really soft. I don't really like the EQ levels is all, but maybe I need new headphones (Sony MDR-7506, the wire gets run over by my desk chair a lot so a wire's been exposed which I electrical-tapisized). It makes no sense that that Soukaigi part would stop sounding cool unless my headphones got messed up (the 2:19 mark). It's the same on both my sound cards so it's not that.

Really simple piece of work, I guess could be perfect for chillaxing. Or Chill Axing.

Thanks for the comments about your headphones. I really appreciate it.

Hey, I remember this track from way back when! I still listen to it frequently, and it always surprised me that it wasn't part of the OCR collection. Now that it is, I can officially change my ID3 tag and give it a celebratory listen. It's nice to see you give the Prime series quality coverage in the way you have, Darkesword. I hope to hear more Prime mixes in the future!

I remember this from VGMix. All in all, I like Darke's first Metroid Prime arrangement better. This one could be good too, but, and I don't know if this is my headphones since this one cool bass part of Ziwtra's Soukaigi mix stopped working, the bass sounds really soft. I don't really like the EQ levels is all, but maybe I need new headphones (Sony MDR-7506, the wire gets run over by my desk chair a lot so a wire's been exposed which I electrical-tapisized). It makes no sense that that Soukaigi part would stop sounding cool unless my headphones got messed up (the 2:19 mark). It's the same on both my sound cards so it's not that.

Thanks for the comments about your headphones. I really appreciate it.

:lol:

Fantastic mix - will be reviewing it on VGDJ in a little more depth. But suffice it to say I'm always impressed that DS uses the most basic of tools and continually puts out incredible ReMixes. Every time he releases something like this, it's something else I can point to when people complain about their gear not being good enough.

ah no...DS beat me to punch for having the first MP2 mix. I rememer the first time i ever got on IRC not knowing where n the hell to go and I played my mix which covers alot of the same source, and DS was like oh I got mix similar to that called Torvus Clockwork with similar piano, and I had no idea what he was talking about bc I never ventured over to VGMix before. Looked for it on OCR not to be found, well after hearing it hot damn...

Well besides that lil story, this is sick. A lot of Metroid Prime 2 tunes are screaming to remixed in a downtempo style like this has. The thing I am most impressed with this whole remix besides the general atmosphere and arrangment is how and what DS did with that main melody. Where he plays around with it in the beggining, was really impressive. Also in the middle was awesome. It's such a haunting and catchy melody and DS used it to perfection. Def 10 stars for the arrangement, this is a very cathcy source tune that's not at all remixer friendly.

Hmmm... I honestly thought this song was already on OCR. Like other people, I must have come across it on VGmix. Whatever. My review is simply to say that Torvus Clockwork has rarely left my playlist since I discovered it.

It was definitely my favourite track from the game and I was absolutely elated to hear that such a fine remix of it had been released. Thanks, DarkeSword. You did a bang-up job!

Hmm... this is certainly a very interesting remix indeed... the source tune, as any Metroid fan would know, is actually a remix itself.

Nontheless... due to the feel DrakeSword caught with this mix, it does belong as a Metroid Prime 2 remix. It just all those little Prime elements that are so recognizable, from the weird synth sounds in the background, to the spots where the music stays so subtle you wonder if it's actually playing.

This remix is well done and quite suitable for the material it is covering. Good stuff DrakeSword. I'm merely not a particular fan of the mix because it sounds mostly "ambient", as does most of the Metroid Prime soundtracks... and I don't like ambient music because there's no enough to it for me...

Aaaanyways... that's a personal opinion thing there, so yeah, I recommend this remix for anyone that does enjoy the Metroid Prime soundtracks and is a fan of ambient-esque music.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01507 - Metroid Prime 2 "Torvus Clockwork"