Help. some questions (keyboard/MIDI compatible)

Evanatt

Hi..

I was wondering about some questions....

is it posible to do remixes with keybards? and do it need to be *midi capitable*,(mine says output).

And do you need to have some kinda software(program) to do it ??? (or is it enough with a keybaord).

I would appriciate if I would be able to get some kind of answer :D

Well what kind of keyboard do you have already?

If it's a fancy keyboard with its own built-in sequencer, you don't necessarily need midi or a computer sequencer. Just a means to get the audio onto your computer [like, with an audio cable, hurr :P].

If it's got MIDI [which you have] but no sequencer, you'll need two things. First off, a sequencer like you can find in this list. Second, something which will let you use your midi keyboard on the computer. The cheapest solution is an M-Audio MIDISport Uno or 1x1:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MIDISPORT1x1-main.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html

Don't buy it from there though, you can probably get it for cheaper on other sites.

A MIDI keyboard is extremely useful and almost necessary if you're doing computer sequencing. Especially if you know how to play the piano well, it'll help you work efficiently inside a DAW [digital audio workstation] environment.

So that's out of the way. Tell me what kind of keyboard you have.

Hi..

I was wondering about some questions....

is it posible to do remixes with keybards?

No. You can only make music with guitars, dulcimers and kazoos.

(let that sink in for a while, please)

Remixes are just music. They aren't a genre - if they were everything would sound the same here. It doesn't.

and do it need to be *midi capitable*,(mine says output).

It helps if you want to work with software synths, or if you want to use it with a rack module (a synth without the keys)

And do you need to have some kinda software(program) to do it ??? (or is it enough with a keybaord).

Most computers do not have a MIDI input on the back, so yes, you should go with OverCoat's suggestion.

If all you have is a Yamaha PSR it probably won't cut it. The only case where a single synth could ge the job done well that I can think of (piano remixes aside) would be with a:

Alesis Andromeda

Access Virus

Korg Radias

Nord Lead

Novation Supernova

All of which will cost you around $1000, and even then that'd barely cut it. Get yourself a decent sequencer (FLStudio, Sonar, Cubase, Logic, whatever, try out the demos to see which you like the best) and start experimenting, remember, no one starts off making great remixes.

If all you have is a Yamaha PSR it probably won't cut it. The only case where a single synth could ge the job done well that I can think of (piano remixes aside) would be with a:

Alesis Andromeda

Access Virus

Korg Radias

Nord Lead

Novation Supernova

All of which will cost you around $1000, and even then that'd barely cut it. Get yourself a decent sequencer (FLStudio, Sonar, Cubase, Logic, whatever, try out the demos to see which you like the best) and start experimenting, remember, no one starts off making great remixes.

Well, you can of course go with the workstation synths, like

Yammaha Motif,

Korg Triton,

Roland Fantom,

although you are gonna be paying some big bucks for those.

All of my stuff on OCR was MIDI IN'ed from a Yamaha PSR-GX76.

The sounds on it suck, but for MIDI Input, it was decent. Provided serveral years of reliable service.

Though the sample libraries I use these days require more advanced MIDICC control. It was fine when I used NoteWorthy, but once I got Cubase, I realized that it would be a lot easier to record MIDICC input than to draw it in. I suck at drawing anything.

So, I recently got an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI Controller. I love this thing. Better action, more MIDICC capability, full piano range. No sounds, though. MIDI controllers require an external sound generator (Kontakt on my PC in my case).

If all you need it for is basic note entry, that PSR will do you fine. But, if you get into more advanced software, you may want to upgrade. The Keystation Pro 88 may be a little overkill for you, but there are other, cheaper, MIDI boards out there.

• 4 weeks later...