Undertale Trio Medley

Ihsman07

It's been a while since I've made anything but here I am, back with something new from my brain. I love Undertale and its music so much that I decided to make a nice little medley with 3 of my favorite songs from the game which represent 3 of my favorite characters as well: Bonetrousle for Papyrus, Spear of Justice for Undyne, and Megalovania for Sans. I worked on this medley off and on for several months, tweaking parts here and there and adding other things. It originally started as an orchestral remix of just Bonetrousle but something told me to make it into a medley and here's the final product. Please enjoy and let me know what you think! :D

I like the xylophone choice in the beginning - like bones rattling around.  I heard it in another Bonetroussle Orchestral Remix, I do believe.  Similar orchestration not withstanding, I don't like the transition between "Bonetroussle" and "Spear of Justice."  It sounds like the tunes were - to quote a good friend - stapled together.  The tempi are not similar (either that or I don't know what kind of rhythmic math you performed to modulate time signatures).  The same goes for "Spear of Justice" going into "Megalovania."

I do enjoy the use of strings and percussion, but if I were you, I would either add more brass in heavier sections, or turn what brass you have now UP.  It's woodwind-heavy.  Maybe add a contrabassoon and bass clarinet if you have good patches!

Thanks for the remix, my man. Good work, and talk to you later!

I like the instrumentation for Bonetroussle, although the staccato strings could work better one octave lower. I'm not that fond of the horn harmonies in the beggining, they sound weird since they play too similar notes. The entrance of the bassier brass at 0:42 is great, adds so much energy to the piece.

The melody at 1:11 sounds very unnatural. I don't think anyone would play it like that TBH. Add some legato or something there.

As Hank points out, the transition is very medley-ish but it doesn't bother me really. It could be stronger but it's not a dealbreaker in my opinion.

Love the xylophone at 2:05 although I'd switch the octaves between the strings and the melody here.

The transition to Megalovania is way too sudden, much more than the previous one. Piano is an interesting choice for the first melody. I think it works.

Overall I feel this sounds pretty good, although I think the bass is lacking. You have some solid percussive instruments but there are like no instruments really filling the bass role and that's an important role for such a rhytmic mix like this one. Xylophone is the standout IMO.

On 2/25/2016 at 5:44 PM, jnWake said:

I like the instrumentation for Bonetroussle, although the staccato strings could work better one octave lower. I'm not that fond of the horn harmonies in the beggining, they sound weird since they play too similar notes. The entrance of the bassier brass at 0:42 is great, adds so much energy to the piece.

The melody at 1:11 sounds very unnatural. I don't think anyone would play it like that TBH. Add some legato or something there.

As Hank points out, the transition is very medley-ish but it doesn't bother me really. It could be stronger but it's not a dealbreaker in my opinion.

Love the xylophone at 2:05 although I'd switch the octaves between the strings and the melody here.

The transition to Megalovania is way too sudden, much more than the previous one. Piano is an interesting choice for the first melody. I think it works.

Overall I feel this sounds pretty good, although I think the bass is lacking. You have some solid percussive instruments but there are like no instruments really filling the bass role and that's an important role for such a rhytmic mix like this one. Xylophone is the standout IMO.

More bass? The instruments I have playing bass are low bassoon, trombone, base trombone/tuba, piano, and low string, not to mention timpani and bass drum. However, an increase of volume for said instruments may be needed, I guess.

When I was working on this, I kept finding myself turning down some of the brass because it just sounded too loud. As for the spot at 1:11, I messed with that one spot so much and couldn't get anything to sound better than what I ended with. As for making it legato, I can see how that would work, but it's a bit more difficult to add legato to a VST instrument on FLStudio11. If I was using something that creates an actual score, that would be a different story xD

I just went back to lower the pizzicato strings an octave at the beginning.... and it sounded really muffled, like you would have to do some serious tweaking with the instrument to make it sound less garbled.