Is there any way to easily rip midi tracks from SNES roms?

Wok7

It depends on the type of ROM. The process will be different for SNES than for Genesis or NES.

SNEStool, I believe, can convert SPCs to midis, but the conversion tends to be pretty sloppy. I'm sure there are similar programs for just about every type of VGM soundfile. Zophar's domain probably has all of them, and if not Zophar, try google.

May I ask why you wish to rip midis from ROMs? You're not planning on submitting that as a remix, are you? 'Cause we'd rofl at you.

May I ask why you wish to rip midis from ROMs? You're not planning on submitting that as a remix, are you? 'Cause we'd rofl at you.

He just needs to add some drum loops and he'll be fine.

KNO SRSLY

Don't forget the instrument changes.

Anyway, like every SNES song ever has been transcribed to MIDI already. It's all there on the internets. Like at www.vgmusic.com.

I know I'm going to lose musician cred for this, but my ear is preety crap, so having a MIDI to make sure I've got the theme right is really quite nice. Yeah, I know, I'm training my ear... but the MIDIs are still handy.

Using MIDIs as a reference doesn't matter as long as you actually rearrange the track - thats the important bit. Oh, and production. But thats another essay.

Anyway, like every SNES song ever has been transcribed to MIDI already. It's all there on the internets. Like at www.vgmusic.com.

....You're not only wrong, but extremely narrowminded if you think that is every SNES song ever. Dumbass.

I said "on the internet", and then proceeded to give an example of a popular site for game MIDIs. I am aware that there are many songs that are not available on VGMusic and must be obtained elsewhere. Very sorry to step on your toes.

You're still immensely wrong. There are countless games that have gigantic MIDI archives on Japanese websites which will never be listed on VGMusic.

The internet covers more than the USA, you should use the "Languages" search in Google before making such an incredibly wrong statement.

calm down Mr. Mays or I won't call now!

You're still immensely wrong. There are countless games that have gigantic MIDI archives on Japanese websites which will never be listed on VGMusic.

The internet covers more than the USA, you should use the "Languages" search in Google before making such an incredibly wrong statement.

I am aware that there are many songs that are not available on VGMusic and must be obtained elsewhere.

But if it pleases you that I be wrong, I certainly don't mind.

I'll agree that a midi would be nice, but I've found that the SPC plugin for Winamp can help. When you go to the file properties you can mess around with the ID666 tag settings to mute various channels in the SPC file.

While not a midi which lets you see the whole arrangement at once, it does help in isolating individual instruments and/or notes in a chord. That's something that newbs like myself can find very helpful.

ID666Tag.jpg